This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorts as a uniform option????

I am looking for departments that allow shorts (BDU) or other as an alternative uniform option during the summer months. Thanks for your help.

I know of departments that if it is over 90 degrees AND the entire company agrees, uniform shorts are acceptable. Also, if you're out working (hydrant maintenace, yard work, general maintenance, etc.) AND those participating agree, then uniform shorts are acceptable. The key is that everyone wears them so that it (somewhat) maintains a professional image.

Also, we can wear shorts at night (generally gym shorts as they are the most comfortable). Depending on who is working we either have to put on bunker pants over them, or we can use our own discretion and not wear bunkers.
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Let me get this straight. You respond to calls in gym shorts?!?

Comment

Originally posted by swfire42
        Let me get this straight. You respond to calls in gym shorts?!?
        In the middle of the night depending on the company officer, yes. They are department issued.

What do you wear if you get a call during PT?

Comment

put your bunker pants on. What kind of image does someone in gym shorts portray to the public?

Comment

I'm talking about in station, hose testing, maybe even inspections. We would still don our bunker pants when a call came in.

Comment

Originally posted by swfire42
              put your bunker pants on. What kind of image does someone in gym shorts portray to the public?
              Maybe you missed this..
              Originally posted by FTMPTB15
              we either have to put on bunker pants over them, or we can use our own discretion and not wear bunkers..
              Meaning most of the time we have to don our pants, but there are occasions where we don't have to don pur pants. You really think an elderly citizen who needs help back into their bed (no injuries), in the middle of the night, cares about what we're wearing? Geez.. you gotta be kidding me! Never had a complaint yet that at 3am we weren't 'professional' looking.

Comment

Just be careful, you don't want some lady to get the hots for a firefighter and call 911 to get him to come back over. The shorts might be enough to do it.
                It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Haha, as long as this lady says out of our district, I think we'll be ok!!

Comment

We wear uniform shorts, not PT shorts during the summer months. (April 1- Sept.30) I was not a big at first, but when it's 110 degrees her in Vegas you diffently notice a difference.

Comment

Short here... Finally.

As of July 4th, we've joined the ranks of the short-panted.

It's not Vegas hot, but we have a special brand of heat here in The South that includes temperatures in the 90s (or 100s this week) and enough humidity to drown livestock. To wear the shorts, we have to wear bunker pants on all calls. I don't quite understand that rule... but who cares. We certainly spend more time not doing calls than we do on them. Also, the sweat we get on calls disappears more quickly afterwards with the shorts. Gone of the days of sweating on the first call and having a wet crotch for the rest of the day.

Also, the shorts here are a personal option. One member not wanting to wear them doesn't keep everyone else from wearing them. Even with some in short and some not -- we're all wearing navy, we're all wearing the same uniform shirt and we all climb off the same big red truck. I don't think we look un-uniform because our britches are different lengths.
                      sigpic

Comment

My department has now had a uniform short pants policy in place for four years. The policy allows a member to wear uniform shorts from May 1- Oct 1. Exceptions to the policy are public relations and emergency details, and on-duty trainings at the academy.
                        I like the policy and enjoy wearing shorts, especially on days like today in which the temperature is about 100 degrees.

Comment

We just made a change this summer that members can wear shorts on EMS calls. Formerly we had to don coveralls or bunkers if wearing shorts.

I believe it's more professional to be cooler and more comfortable in shorts than to be dripping sweat on the patient.
                          "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Comment

We wear shorts here in Clearwater, FL. Love it.

Comment

The full time county department here wears them in the summer. They are cargo/BDU style and made of Nomex. Some wear them, some don't. They respond to almost every medical call without turnout pants on, and they never get any complaints.

I for one do not like wearing shorts under by turnout gear. It makes pulling them up alot hardler and they always seem to bunch up, but maybe thats just me.
                              Career Firefighter
                              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X