• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman Arrested for Calling 911 to see "Cutie Pie" Deputy again

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > NATIONAL
    Woman Calls 911 to Ask 'Cutie Pie' Cop to Come to Her Home
    Friday, July 14, 2006

ALOHA, Ore. — A woman who called 911 to get "the cutest cop I've seen" sent back to her home got a date all right — a court date.

The same sheriff's deputy arrested her on charges of misuse of the emergency dispatch system.

Washington County Sheriff's Sgt. David Thompson told KGW-TV of Portland it all started with a noise complaint called in last month by neighbors of Lorna Jeanne Dudash. The deputy sent to check on the complaint knocked on her door, then left.

Click here to read the KGW-TV story.

Thompson said Dudash then called 911, asking that the "cutie pie" deputy return.

"He's the cutest cop I've seen in a long time. I just want to know his name," Dudash told the dispatcher. "Heck, it doesn't come very often a good man comes to your doorstep."

After listening to some more, followed by a bit of silence, the dispatcher asked again why Dudash needed the deputy to return.

"Honey, I'm just going to be honest with you, OK? I just thought he was cute. I'm 45 years old and I'd just like to meet him again, but I don't know how to go about doing that without calling 911," she said.

"I know this is absolutely not in any way, shape or form an emergency, but if you would give the officer my phone number and ask him to come back, would you mind?"

The deputy returned, verified that there was no emergency and arrested her for misusing the 911 system, an offense punishable by a fine of up to several thousand dollars and a year in jail.

Thompson said Thursday it was the first case he knew of in which someone called the emergency line for such a personal reason.

"That's taking up valuable time from dispatchers who could be taking true emergency calls," he said.

LOL. I hope she doesn't actually get jailtime and/or fined for that. If its waisting dispatcher time, THE DISPATCHER SHOULD OF HUNG UP THE PHONE.

I got yelled at one time, our trucks were out and weren't answering the radio... and I forgot the dispatchers phone number (we were using a different dispatcher cause ours got hit by lightning). So I called 911 and asked them to transfer me to our dispatcher. The guy got ticked at the end. Oh well;

Comment

harmony

Why use e-harmony or any other dating service when you can call 911. Are you lonely, need a date or have your fancy tickled; just dial 911 for some attention. If she is that desperate I don't know if I would want her. Oh ya, I forgot, I'm married already.

Comment

Oh Geez man, is it really that hard to remember a non- emergency line ? Really now, 7 digits ?

If we want the dispachers to treat us with respect, we need to treat them in turn.
        I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

Well like I said, it wasn't our normal dispatcher. I know my dispatchers number, but they were down, getting a new radio system, so we had to call the other dispatcher. (I keep all the dispatchers #'s in my cell now.)

Comment

Not that I would advocate doing this, but if the woman had any brains, she could have just called the business number and gotten his info. to write a praise letter for doing a good job. Then made contact with him.

Dumbie.

Comment

Whatever happened to information, 411? Or using a phone book?
              Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Comment

Never had anyone use our 999 (911) system) to call up for this. But people have used it for a variety of other reasons...

1) What time does the police station close?
                2) When does the last train leave from the station?
                3) I've just been for an awful meal at **** restaurant. Who do I seak to?
                5) Can you help me find the TV remote control?
                6) Next doors dog is barking to be let in. Can you ring my neighbours and tell them? (This at about 5 minutes past New Years Day).
                7) My neighbours have gone on holiday and not cancelled their papers.

Just some of the things people think their local police will be delighted to hear on an "emergency" only line.
                United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

Hey, now don't give her a hard time. According to the story, the deputy returned so her plan obviously worked (well, except for that little arrest part...)

Comment

[QUOTE=Lieutenant516]LOL. I hope she doesn't actually get jailtime and/or fined for that. If its waisting dispatcher time, THE DISPATCHER SHOULD OF HUNG UP THE PHONE.

Excuse me, it's not that simple. A dispatcher is stuck between a rock and hard place, the public and the agencies we serve. If she would have hung up, that would have ****ed off the caller who in turn could have made a complaint on the dispatcher for "not empathizing" with the caller or "not hearing the caller out to find out if there is a real emergency or not." I have heard all the arguements.

The best thing to do would be to send an officer in any case.

I have actually taken calls like this before believe it or not.
                    Jason Knecht
                    Firefighter/EMT
                    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

And.........

Like some others here, I've spent a bit of time in Communications, and I agree that there are a lot of other things that tie up 911 lines besides lonely ladies. I once had a caller trying to report a Fire but she was the cleaning lady and she was dropped off by the company van so she had no clue where she was. After getting her calmed down a bit, I got her to find some mail, and give me the address off the envelopes. That worked, BUT it was time consuming.
                      The lady looking for "Cutie Pie" shoud get a very stern lecture from Judge Judy, and let it go at that. My reasoning there is that she showed no malicious intent, by saying that it was not an emergency call. Improper? Absolutely. Malicious Intent? No.
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Dickey]
                        Originally posted by Lieutenant516
                        LOL. I hope she doesn't actually get jailtime and/or fined for that. If its waisting dispatcher time, THE DISPATCHER SHOULD OF HUNG UP THE PHONE.

Excuse me, it's not that simple. A dispatcher is stuck between a rock and hard place, the public and the agencies we serve. If she would have hung up, that would have ****ed off the caller who in turn could have made a complaint on the dispatcher for "not empathizing" with the caller or "not hearing the caller out to find out if there is a real emergency or not." I have heard all the arguements.

The best thing to do would be to send an officer in any case.

I have actually taken calls like this before believe it or not.
                        You beat me to it. She should absolutely be charged for that and I hope they fine her big time for abusing the 911 system. Hang up on a caller and you will most likely get in trouble, regardles of why she was calling. Everyone gets a cop or a firemen depending on the call.
                        Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Comment

I'm guessing alcohol may have been involved here.

A lonely lady, a few beers, a cute guy with handcuffs.....

Comment

Originally posted by REVANANT
                            I'm guessing alcohol may have been involved here.

A lonely lady, a few beers, a cute guy with handcuffs.....
                            Wrong....probably the reason.....but still wrong.

Comment

I'm not sure that arrested was necessary...perhaps if she was a constant abuser of 911. Assuming that is not the case here, a lecture, and POSSIBLY a citation would have been in order...but not arrested.

If someone dials 911 and says they do not have an emergency but need a specific agency, we remind them that the numbers are in the phone book and transfer their call. With the exception of a few frequent abusers, most do not call back. Being sympathetic...or even just a little empathetic...to callers is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Now, if they call and do not have an emergency and want something that they should have called 411 for, they get "DAB'ed"...transferred to the line with the recording that basically tells them that 911 is not 411.

I think dispatchers also could sometimes benefit by remembering that just because something isn't burning down, shots aren't being fired, and no one is having a heat attack doesn't mean it's not an emergency for the person calling. We occasionally have people dial 911 saying that they are drunk and need a cab...only takes a second to give them the number (if you're not extremely busy). Maybe you don't give them the number and they drive...what kind of emergency could it be then? I don't think that is much different than the fire department being called to a tree down in the highway to avoid it from becoming a vehicle into a tree...or an officer being called to a verbal argument to keep it from becoming physical...

Now guys like our guy that drinks and wants connected to everyone under the sun, gets DAB'ed and calls back cussing...and this is an every day or several times a day thing...arrested might be appropriate...
                              Last edited by Co11FireGal; 07-18-2006, 05:32 PM.
                              IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X