Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martinm
    replied
    Yep, I agree with you about the winds Steve, we had a pretty stiff westerly breeze all day Sunday which whipped up the fires somthing wicked.

Back to "normal" for the time being, alarm calls and RTC's as people have forgotton how to drive when the roads are wet...

Leave a comment:

• JonnytheTurk
    replied
    As regards to the question about volly departments in Ireland, currently in Dublin we have 12 Full time stations with 4 Part time stations on a retained system and all those stations have to cope with a population of about 2 Million, beleave me its an accident waiting to happen...if you wana see a busy nigth on the truck head to any of the stations in Dublin, managment have also decided tho that over the next 5 years all volly stations within Dublin are to be phased out alltogether....

In the Republic of Ireland in all the 26 Counties there maybe only a max of about 6-10 full time departments with all other county brigades being of a volly nature working as Retained like Steve explained.....

But for the amount of population and nearly half the population of Ireland in Dublin we could do with a hell of alot more stations

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Even James Bond got a little 'heated' yesterday

007 Fire

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    It was the wind that killed us yesterday Mart... the winds were around 15mph so all of the grass fires that covered a hectare of so that would have been looked atfer by one or two Pumps ended up growing...two of them, half a mile away from each other near where I live ended up as 8 Pumpers....

One was 10 Ha, but it was all access through rear gardens, neccesitating a couple of pumps in every street surrounding the land, with reels in through the houses to protect the rear gardens and sheds.

The other 8 Pumper was my local Countyr Park where I live....that took out 20-30Ha. I left the first 8 Pumper, got paged immediately to say the Country park had gone to a three (info only not an ordering at this stage), I quickly drove home, got a sandwich and a bottle of drink, got paged as an ordering this time as it had gone to 6 Pumps... I drove into the park, saw a wall of smoke and fire, spoke to the OIC of the First attendance, who was remote from his truck about 600 yards from me so I made it 8 and changed the RVP as it had moved so far.

All good fun and for a 'City' Fireman, I'm getting pretty good at all this grass fire stuff.

After that, I got one more call that was for a shop and Dwellings that had been torched and went to a 4 Pumper, so I finished last night at a 'proper' fire.

We had 14 Make ups in Londopn yesterday, One 12PF, two 8PF's a couple of sixes and the rest 4 Pumpers... 6 of these were going on at once, not the 9 I thought.

Both of the 8 Pumpers, one of the 6 Pumpers and about half of the 4 Pumpers were grass...the others including the 12PF in a wood factory were all structures.

Its cooler and cloudy today...but still no sign of rain?

Leave a comment:

• martinm
    replied
    Never thought I'd say I'd be happy to say its raining in the UK. Its Pouring down today. After much the same problems as Steve had in an urban area, we've had in rural ones. Since Thursday there have been constant multi pump fires in what can best be described as wildfire conditions. Tinder dry land with bright sunshine and breezy conditions have led to one our busiest summers for years.

One fire broke out on Thursday afternoon and was finally put out on Sunday morning. Another which we attended last night threatened to spread into a power station which was next to the area affected by fire. At one stage the fire was travelling quicker than we could walk.

At the last count there were 2 6 pump fires ongoing, a couple of smaller 3/4 pumpers and numerous single/2 pump fires which are just breaking out everywhere. Last nights was unbelievable, we pumped water solidly from 2 appliances for 6 hours, non stop.

Leave a comment:

• 2andfrom
    replied
    Memory lane

Back in the old days (please do not roll the eyes and say dodderin' old twit) when I was at No 1 Station, under the old Croydon Fire Brigade-we had the AFS which turned out with us -usually at weekends. They were the Axillary Fire Service(they were the closest to "vollies"that I ever came into contact with) and were the remains of the National Fire Service (WW2 Fire Service) which if memory serves right were disbanded in 1947.
    I am a bit reticent in putting down stuff like this cos I remember full well when an old geezer would come into the station(firehouse/firehall to you Yanks) and he would want to reminisce about the old days--and all the the young bucks-me included, would try to be interested-but think "Sod off Grandad-you are past your sell by date".

Think on this my brave young friends--Would you want to attack a real "going" job dressed in a Melton cloth tunic-a cork helmet-no visor-black plastic leggings(that melted)gloves were not issued--and the wearing of BA was considered pansy? I did.
    Retained had a nickname of "Hedgehogs" cos they lived in the country.
    Through this website I have also discovered that I am also a "Engineer"--for 20yrs I have had a qualification I did not know about!

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    I'm not so sure about Ireland, maybe Jonny can answer...

But the UK is entirely covered by Metropolitan or County Fire Briagdes. Each one has fully paid staff and Chiefs and at least a couple of wholetime Stations. The more rural areas have 'retained' Firefighters, these are what I think you call 'paid on call', they are trained and equipped the same as the wholetime Guys to UK standards.

A Brigade that is in a very rural County, may have one or two Wholtime Stations and maybe 15 retained Stations.

An average large County Brigade will have around 50 Stations, half of them will be wholetime the other half will be retained, These brigades will have a number of Cities or large Towns within the County, such as Hampshire which as well as small villages has several big towns and a large City/Port at Southampton.

The 6 Metropolitain Brigades are by and large 100% Wholetime, like London and will have around 50-100 Stations spread out across a very big City.

Leave a comment:

• GFDLT1
    replied
    Does the UK or Ireland have any Volley departments?

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    There is one...A Guy from Fitchburg who uses the forums on the UK site listens to it...no idea what it is though?

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Originally posted by KenNFD1219
    Does anyone have a link to a London Fire Brigade online scanner feed?
    Yea.. that would be interesting to listen to!!

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    It has cooled down a lot....I don't think it went much over 80 today... I did notice that although I was hot running around the heat had lost its fierceness.

They are now speaking about the record going at 106 degrees in August...I'm glad I'll be on Holiday the second half of the month.

Leave a comment:

• KenNFD1219
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveDude
    Anyone who has one of these on-line scanner things
    Does anyone have a link to a London Fire Brigade online scanner feed?

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
    Dunno! It's not normally a measurement we would record here I just looked and its between 60-80% .... is that high?
    Yea, I'd say that's relatively high. Right now, ours is 46% and that's pretty low for this time of the year.

Leave a comment:

• PaulGRIMWOOD
    replied
    Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    Hmm, so what's that.. about 105 F? How's the humidity over there?
    Dunno! It's not normally a measurement we would record here I just looked and its between 60-80% .... is that high?

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    It isn't the heat...its that we haven't had significant rainfall for ages.... everything is tinder dry and the nice little angels that some kids are are setting everything alight.

Anyone who has one of these on-line scanner things and can hear our three radios channles will be blown away, There are Trucks from all corners of the City in the opposite corners...its outrageous.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X