No announcement yet.

Busy Night in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one...A Guy from Fitchburg who uses the forums on the UK site listens to it...no idea what it is though?
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

Does the UK or Ireland have any Volley departments?
      Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

I'm not so sure about Ireland, maybe Jonny can answer...

But the UK is entirely covered by Metropolitan or County Fire Briagdes. Each one has fully paid staff and Chiefs and at least a couple of wholetime Stations. The more rural areas have 'retained' Firefighters, these are what I think you call 'paid on call', they are trained and equipped the same as the wholetime Guys to UK standards.

A Brigade that is in a very rural County, may have one or two Wholtime Stations and maybe 15 retained Stations.

An average large County Brigade will have around 50 Stations, half of them will be wholetime the other half will be retained, These brigades will have a number of Cities or large Towns within the County, such as Hampshire which as well as small villages has several big towns and a large City/Port at Southampton.

The 6 Metropolitain Brigades are by and large 100% Wholetime, like London and will have around 50-100 Stations spread out across a very big City.
        Steve Dude
        IACOJ member
        www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Memory lane

Back in the old days (please do not roll the eyes and say dodderin' old twit) when I was at No 1 Station, under the old Croydon Fire Brigade-we had the AFS which turned out with us -usually at weekends. They were the Axillary Fire Service(they were the closest to "vollies"that I ever came into contact with) and were the remains of the National Fire Service (WW2 Fire Service) which if memory serves right were disbanded in 1947.
          I am a bit reticent in putting down stuff like this cos I remember full well when an old geezer would come into the station(firehouse/firehall to you Yanks) and he would want to reminisce about the old days--and all the the young bucks-me included, would try to be interested-but think "Sod off Grandad-you are past your sell by date".

Think on this my brave young friends--Would you want to attack a real "going" job dressed in a Melton cloth tunic-a cork helmet-no visor-black plastic leggings(that melted)gloves were not issued--and the wearing of BA was considered pansy? I did.
          Retained had a nickname of "Hedgehogs" cos they lived in the country.
          Through this website I have also discovered that I am also a "Engineer"--for 20yrs I have had a qualification I did not know about!

Comment

Never thought I'd say I'd be happy to say its raining in the UK. Its Pouring down today. After much the same problems as Steve had in an urban area, we've had in rural ones. Since Thursday there have been constant multi pump fires in what can best be described as wildfire conditions. Tinder dry land with bright sunshine and breezy conditions have led to one our busiest summers for years.

One fire broke out on Thursday afternoon and was finally put out on Sunday morning. Another which we attended last night threatened to spread into a power station which was next to the area affected by fire. At one stage the fire was travelling quicker than we could walk.

At the last count there were 2 6 pump fires ongoing, a couple of smaller 3/4 pumpers and numerous single/2 pump fires which are just breaking out everywhere. Last nights was unbelievable, we pumped water solidly from 2 appliances for 6 hours, non stop.
            United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

It was the wind that killed us yesterday Mart... the winds were around 15mph so all of the grass fires that covered a hectare of so that would have been looked atfer by one or two Pumps ended up growing...two of them, half a mile away from each other near where I live ended up as 8 Pumpers....

One was 10 Ha, but it was all access through rear gardens, neccesitating a couple of pumps in every street surrounding the land, with reels in through the houses to protect the rear gardens and sheds.

The other 8 Pumper was my local Countyr Park where I live....that took out 20-30Ha. I left the first 8 Pumper, got paged immediately to say the Country park had gone to a three (info only not an ordering at this stage), I quickly drove home, got a sandwich and a bottle of drink, got paged as an ordering this time as it had gone to 6 Pumps... I drove into the park, saw a wall of smoke and fire, spoke to the OIC of the First attendance, who was remote from his truck about 600 yards from me so I made it 8 and changed the RVP as it had moved so far.

All good fun and for a 'City' Fireman, I'm getting pretty good at all this grass fire stuff.

After that, I got one more call that was for a shop and Dwellings that had been torched and went to a 4 Pumper, so I finished last night at a 'proper' fire.

We had 14 Make ups in Londopn yesterday, One 12PF, two 8PF's a couple of sixes and the rest 4 Pumpers... 6 of these were going on at once, not the 9 I thought.

Both of the 8 Pumpers, one of the 6 Pumpers and about half of the 4 Pumpers were grass...the others including the 12PF in a wood factory were all structures.

Its cooler and cloudy today...but still no sign of rain?
              Steve Dude
              IACOJ member
              www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Even James Bond got a little 'heated' yesterday

007 Fire
                Steve Dude
                IACOJ member
                www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

As regards to the question about volly departments in Ireland, currently in Dublin we have 12 Full time stations with 4 Part time stations on a retained system and all those stations have to cope with a population of about 2 Million, beleave me its an accident waiting to happen...if you wana see a busy nigth on the truck head to any of the stations in Dublin, managment have also decided tho that over the next 5 years all volly stations within Dublin are to be phased out alltogether....

In the Republic of Ireland in all the 26 Counties there maybe only a max of about 6-10 full time departments with all other county brigades being of a volly nature working as Retained like Steve explained.....

But for the amount of population and nearly half the population of Ireland in Dublin we could do with a hell of alot more stations
                  Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Comment

Yep, I agree with you about the winds Steve, we had a pretty stiff westerly breeze all day Sunday which whipped up the fires somthing wicked.

Back to "normal" for the time being, alarm calls and RTC's as people have forgotton how to drive when the roads are wet...
                    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X