Busy Night in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    Steve.. I visited this site: http://www.lfbsite.com/ and was really interested at the stations. Talk about some impressive buildings! What is the deal with some of those HUGE stations? Are there (for example) offices or other businesses in the upper floors and just the fire station at the bottom or what? For example, the Westminister (I think) station. Also, which are the busiest stations.. with 111 Stations, I'm sure some stand out about the rest!
    That is a great site...and its all done by a 14 yo kid who goes around the Stations taking photos.

The older Stations (Like Westminster) are large because the Firemen and their families used ot live in them once upon a time, they are now little flats, some are used as offices for Chiefs, Admin staff or just accomodation for the Firefighters.

Some of the big 1960's Stations such as Poplar, Paddington, Lewisham etc were Divisional HQ's when they were built, so they had all the Divisional Chiefs and staff in them

Soho and Dowgate in Central London are built beneath Office Buildings, the Stations themselves are quite small. There are a couple of Brand New ones...Hammersmith, this has Borough Command, and our assessment suite for recruits and promotions. Millwall is built below a block of apartments...its very modern and bright...but nothing like a 'real Fire Station.

Busy, like everywhere else comes in two versions. Places like Soho, go out of the door around about 8000 times each year, but a lot of their calls are alarms and so on. The other type of Busy Stations are the one's I like to work in...they are the ones in the ghetto areas that maybe have around 3/4000 calls but over 1000 of them will be fires. Places such as Poplar, Paddington, Homerton, Dagenham, Brixton, Tottenahm...the list goes on. Then you get the Suburban Fire Stations that are usually well below 2000 each year, but get lots of MVA's and plenty of Grass fires at this time of year....Hornchurch near me is a good example and places such as Hainult, Woodford, Biggin Hill, Sutton etc fall into that crowd.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 2andfrom
      Steve-when did that Bobcat set-up go into Croydon? Would have loved to have a "tu-tu" with that! Just think of all the re-arranging you could do in the staff car park with it. As an ex ET bloke, when did they do away with the walk thru? I think, if memory serves me, 8 man crew-or rather was supposed to be 8 man crew, but we never turned out with more than 6.

That old Shand hand pumper used to sit at the far end of the bay--we tarted it up for the Fire Show 1976 at Crystal Palace. Raised a heap of wedge for charity-Jimmy Saville did the biz for us-good bloke.

"Tu-tu" Maori for mess about with
      All of the USAR equpment, along with the Mass Decon vehicles and High Volume Pumps are all 'New Dimensions' stuff provided across the UK by the Government as a result of 9/11. The HVP's are really getting used regularly at large fires because you know how poor our water supply is in the 'Smoke'

The Walk Through ET's were replaced by the first 'Fire Rescue Units' in 1991 (see second photo) they now have a 5 man/woman crew.
      Steve Dude
      IACOJ member
      www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDude
        The HVP's are really getting used regularly at large fires because you know how poor our water supply is in the 'Smoke'
        It looks like the LFB's HVP's sucked the river dry!
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Thats what i was thinking when i saw the term 'limitless supply'. That river looked like it was gonna be limited pretty soon.
          "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

Nah...that was just the tide...by lifting from the middle we had plenty still....
            Steve Dude
            IACOJ member
            www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

There are currently 9 Make up/Multi Alarm Incidents going on in London as we speak.

I Have been on 4 Multi Alarm jobs...one straight after the other today. Jesus...this city is burning in the heat.

There are so many grass fires and we are so stretched that other fires that usually get an attendance in a few minutes are getting away becuase of time taken to attend.

I cannot think of a period like this in 20 years!!!!
              Steve Dude
              IACOJ member
              www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

What is the weather like over there? Shouldn't it be 'cooler' temp wise than us over here dying in the summer's heat!?
                Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

UK have just had the hottest July since 1659 (Steve remembers that) with temperatures approaching 40 deg C
                  Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

Originally posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
                    UK have just had the hottest July since 1659 (Steve remembers that) with temperatures approaching 40 deg C
                    Hmm, so what's that.. about 105 F? How's the humidity over there?

Comment

It isn't the heat...its that we haven't had significant rainfall for ages.... everything is tinder dry and the nice little angels that some kids are are setting everything alight.

Anyone who has one of these on-line scanner things and can hear our three radios channles will be blown away, There are Trucks from all corners of the City in the opposite corners...its outrageous.
                      Steve Dude
                      IACOJ member
                      www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
                        Hmm, so what's that.. about 105 F? How's the humidity over there?
                        Dunno! It's not normally a measurement we would record here I just looked and its between 60-80% .... is that high?
                        Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

Originally posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
                          Dunno! It's not normally a measurement we would record here I just looked and its between 60-80% .... is that high?
                          Yea, I'd say that's relatively high. Right now, ours is 46% and that's pretty low for this time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDude
                            Anyone who has one of these on-line scanner things
                            Does anyone have a link to a London Fire Brigade online scanner feed?
                            -------------------
                            "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                            -----------------------------------------------
                            Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

It has cooled down a lot....I don't think it went much over 80 today... I did notice that although I was hot running around the heat had lost its fierceness.

They are now speaking about the record going at 106 degrees in August...I'm glad I'll be on Holiday the second half of the month.
                              Steve Dude
                              IACOJ member
                              www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by KenNFD1219
                                Does anyone have a link to a London Fire Brigade online scanner feed?
                                Yea.. that would be interesting to listen to!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X