X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveDude
    I can't believe the amount of time my pager has gone off for jobs in the past couple of months.

Another 8 Pump fire (3rd Alarm) last night in a factory in Walthamstow. This city is burning like it used to when I first joined.
    Don't say that... you'll start to notice an increase in US firefighters looking to join LFB! Seems like the number of fires here (at least for my area..) are on a steady DECLINE! Don't get me wrong though, departments (and stations) in the rough areas rarely go a cycle without getting some fire.

Leave a comment:

• protomkv
    replied
    Paul,
    There has been no significant fire in that area recently, apart from a 10pf and a 12pf in a couple of the large old Wholesale Warehouses in Commercial Street. I am therefore pretty certain it was just a 4 Pump Fire of which I don't take any notice because they are so frequent.

I saw the video on the UK site and did notice the usual inner London water problems. Our mains are kept very low by the Water Authority to prevent the leaks getting worse. You will have noticed both of those 2.5 inch jets were pretty poor and the note of the pump changing as it was over running the supply early on.

Neverhteless, the Guys did well and had it knocked down without it spreading through those tightly packed streets.

Paul, I've gotta tell you....its gone mad in London again this summer...the 'War years' are back Bruv. I can't believe the amount of time my pager has gone off for jobs in the past couple of months.

Another 8 Pump fire (3rd Alarm) last night in a factory in Walthamstow. This city is burning like it used to when I first joined.

And I bet you are enjoying every minute of it, Happy days Steve, Happy days.

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Paul,
    There has been no significant fire in that area recently, apart from a 10pf and a 12pf in a couple of the large old Wholesale Warehouses in Commercial Street. I am therefore pretty certain it was just a 4 Pump Fire of which I don't take any notice because they are so frequent.

I saw the video on the UK site and did notice the usual inner London water problems. Our mains are kept very low by the Water Authority to prevent the leaks getting worse. You will have noticed both of those 2.5 inch jets were pretty poor and the note of the pump changing as it was over running the supply early on.

Neverhteless, the Guys did well and had it knocked down without it spreading through those tightly packed streets.

Paul, I've gotta tell you....its gone mad in London again this summer...the 'War years' are back Bruv. I can't believe the amount of time my pager has gone off for jobs in the past couple of months.

Leave a comment:

• PaulGRIMWOOD
    replied
    Looked like they were having major problems in accessing that fire Steve? Not unusual considering it was the back of Brick Lane! Looking at the number of hose-lines in use and the Command Unit in attendance I guess that had to be at least a six or eight pump fire? C'mon Steve was that you on the radio

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    I know... is it fewer people paying into the system and more people taking out....spongers, layabout, Health tourists, illegal immigrants.... come to the UK, and live like a lord on the back of the taxpayer!!!!! Anyway, I am digressing and ranting!!!!
    I feel your pain there!!!

That movie that Jonny.. posted was quite interesting. Glad to see the police finally arrived and shut the road down!!

Leave a comment:

• JonnytheTurk
    replied
    Hay steve here's some of your guys at work...could you shed any ligth on this fire ???...was sent to me today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtuC8...=london%20fire

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    Just means you know what I was thinking!! You better go play the lottery!

It's a shame that the money was just shaved off of the budget. That would be very agrivating knowing that they took away some equipment and then didn't use that money to purchase something that could be considered 'more useful'. What was the reason for cutting down the number of stations and double pump stations? Was there new administration that decided to reduce numbers to more 'efficiently' run the department?
    JUst more and more 'best value reviews' over the years. That is life in British Politics... every publicly spend penny has to be accounted for and reviewed so the public get the 'best value'...funny how since this lot came to power in 1997, taxes have increased but services have been cut...so WTF is all the money going then?????

I know... is it fewer people paying into the system and more people taking out....spongers, layabout, Health tourists, illegal immigrants.... come to the UK, and live like a lord on the back of the taxpayer!!!!! Anyway, I am digressing and ranting!!!!

Leave a comment:

• protomkv
    replied
    How times have changed, When I joined in 61, the old LCC LFB had 58 stations, four divisions, A,B,C,D, "B" Division had 18 stations, only one of the 18 was a PE only station. B Div had 4 TLs, and 1 ET(rescue), I believe there were a total of 16 TLs and 4 ETs in the brigade, The aerials and ETs were strategically placed so that the arrival time was usally well within the eight minute PDA time. At that time, the ET would attend all calls to persons shut in lift (elevators) so they were seldom in the station.

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    WTF!!!! My reply has appeared above your question????
    Just means you know what I was thinking!! You better go play the lottery!

It's a shame that the money was just shaved off of the budget. That would be very agrivating knowing that they took away some equipment and then didn't use that money to purchase something that could be considered 'more useful'. What was the reason for cutting down the number of stations and double pump stations? Was there new administration that decided to reduce numbers to more 'efficiently' run the department?

Leave a comment:

• KevinFFVFD
    replied
    hahaha, yeah. but i have a friend who is from "down under" and i now starting to understand him. lol.

Leave a comment:

• DonSmithnotTMD
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinFFVFD
    man. all those nice fires yall are havin over there make me want to move to london and join the fire brigade. ive always thought my firefighting brothers from london were really cool people. keep up the good work!!!!
    Sounds like a lot of work, but the language barrier might create a safety hazard.

Leave a comment:

• KevinFFVFD
    replied
    man. all those nice fires yall are havin over there make me want to move to london and join the fire brigade. ive always thought my firefighting brothers from london were really cool people. keep up the good work!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Steve, this site is acting crazy today

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    WTF!!!! My reply has appeared above your question????

And the timing on the left of this one is showing as tomorrow... I am posting in the future!!!! Someone pass me the Lottery numbers

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Steve, thanks for that explanation it was most helpful in understanding some of the terminology! It makes sense to 'lose what you don't use' if that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Here is how our 'alarm level' works:
    Fire Alarm calls (smells and bells!)- 1 Engine and 1 Ladder

Box Alarm (multiple calls, odor of smoke, several alarms sources, etc.)- 3 Engines, 1 Ladder, and 1 Battalion Chief

Working Fire Assignment (once units on scene determine it is a working fire)- add 1 Engine, 1 Rescue, 1 Battalion Chief, and the Arson Task Force (if deemed necessary) to the above Box Alarm assignment. This completes the entire "1st Alarm" Assignment which is 4 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 Rescue, 2 Battalion Chiefs, and Arson Task Force (if needed).

Heavy Box Alarm (high-rise buildings, high risk, etc.)- 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Rescue, 2 Battalion Chiefs

2nd Alarm Assignment- 3 Engines, 1 Ladder, 2 Battalion Chiefs, Shift Deputy Chief, Logistics, PIO (Public Information Officer), Training Staff, Arson Task Force, also (if needed) the Rookies from the Academy

3rd Alarm through 10 Alarm- 3 Engines and 1 Ladder

Most of our fires are handled with the 1st Alarm Assignment and typically the assignment is reduced to 2 and 1 (2 Engines and 1 Ladder) if it is something minor and/or after a control time is given.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X