Busy Night in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveDude
    WTF!!!! My reply has appeared above your question????
    Just means you know what I was thinking!! You better go play the lottery!

It's a shame that the money was just shaved off of the budget. That would be very agrivating knowing that they took away some equipment and then didn't use that money to purchase something that could be considered 'more useful'. What was the reason for cutting down the number of stations and double pump stations? Was there new administration that decided to reduce numbers to more 'efficiently' run the department?
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

How times have changed, When I joined in 61, the old LCC LFB had 58 stations, four divisions, A,B,C,D, "B" Division had 18 stations, only one of the 18 was a PE only station. B Div had 4 TLs, and 1 ET(rescue), I believe there were a total of 16 TLs and 4 ETs in the brigade, The aerials and ETs were strategically placed so that the arrival time was usally well within the eight minute PDA time. At that time, the ET would attend all calls to persons shut in lift (elevators) so they were seldom in the station.

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
        Just means you know what I was thinking!! You better go play the lottery!

It's a shame that the money was just shaved off of the budget. That would be very agrivating knowing that they took away some equipment and then didn't use that money to purchase something that could be considered 'more useful'. What was the reason for cutting down the number of stations and double pump stations? Was there new administration that decided to reduce numbers to more 'efficiently' run the department?
        JUst more and more 'best value reviews' over the years. That is life in British Politics... every publicly spend penny has to be accounted for and reviewed so the public get the 'best value'...funny how since this lot came to power in 1997, taxes have increased but services have been cut...so WTF is all the money going then?????

I know... is it fewer people paying into the system and more people taking out....spongers, layabout, Health tourists, illegal immigrants.... come to the UK, and live like a lord on the back of the taxpayer!!!!! Anyway, I am digressing and ranting!!!!
        Steve Dude
        IACOJ member
        www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

Hay steve here's some of your guys at work...could you shed any ligth on this fire ???...was sent to me today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtuC8...=london%20fire
          Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Comment

I know... is it fewer people paying into the system and more people taking out....spongers, layabout, Health tourists, illegal immigrants.... come to the UK, and live like a lord on the back of the taxpayer!!!!! Anyway, I am digressing and ranting!!!!
            I feel your pain there!!!

That movie that Jonny.. posted was quite interesting. Glad to see the police finally arrived and shut the road down!!

Comment

Looked like they were having major problems in accessing that fire Steve? Not unusual considering it was the back of Brick Lane! Looking at the number of hose-lines in use and the Command Unit in attendance I guess that had to be at least a six or eight pump fire? C'mon Steve was that you on the radio
              Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

Paul,
                There has been no significant fire in that area recently, apart from a 10pf and a 12pf in a couple of the large old Wholesale Warehouses in Commercial Street. I am therefore pretty certain it was just a 4 Pump Fire of which I don't take any notice because they are so frequent.

I saw the video on the UK site and did notice the usual inner London water problems. Our mains are kept very low by the Water Authority to prevent the leaks getting worse. You will have noticed both of those 2.5 inch jets were pretty poor and the note of the pump changing as it was over running the supply early on.

Neverhteless, the Guys did well and had it knocked down without it spreading through those tightly packed streets.

Paul, I've gotta tell you....its gone mad in London again this summer...the 'War years' are back Bruv. I can't believe the amount of time my pager has gone off for jobs in the past couple of months.

Another 8 Pump fire (3rd Alarm) last night in a factory in Walthamstow. This city is burning like it used to when I first joined.
                Steve Dude
                IACOJ member
                www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Paul,
                  There has been no significant fire in that area recently, apart from a 10pf and a 12pf in a couple of the large old Wholesale Warehouses in Commercial Street. I am therefore pretty certain it was just a 4 Pump Fire of which I don't take any notice because they are so frequent.

I saw the video on the UK site and did notice the usual inner London water problems. Our mains are kept very low by the Water Authority to prevent the leaks getting worse. You will have noticed both of those 2.5 inch jets were pretty poor and the note of the pump changing as it was over running the supply early on.

Neverhteless, the Guys did well and had it knocked down without it spreading through those tightly packed streets.

Paul, I've gotta tell you....its gone mad in London again this summer...the 'War years' are back Bruv. I can't believe the amount of time my pager has gone off for jobs in the past couple of months.

Another 8 Pump fire (3rd Alarm) last night in a factory in Walthamstow. This city is burning like it used to when I first joined.

And I bet you are enjoying every minute of it, Happy days Steve, Happy days.

Comment

I can't believe the amount of time my pager has gone off for jobs in the past couple of months.

Don't say that... you'll start to notice an increase in US firefighters looking to join LFB! Seems like the number of fires here (at least for my area..) are on a steady DECLINE! Don't get me wrong though, departments (and stations) in the rough areas rarely go a cycle without getting some fire.

Comment

Yeah...its good, but its also a good barometer of law and order breaking down in the Country....Crime is rocketing almost everywhere and anti social behaviour is an epidemic among the young.

Things have gotten way to liberal over here... too many people down't give a damn for anything but themselves and will do whatever they want...even injuring, maiming or killing for very little reason. You all know, that like certain part so the US in the 70's... The Bronx is the classic example... when society breaks down, fire and arson go up and the Firefighters get very busy.

Sure, London Firefighters and even more so some of the Firefighters in places like Manchester and Glasgow are seeing an amazing amount of duty.... but how many of us feel that good, when we see the country going down the drain...the Country that our Fathers and Grandfathers fought for, a Country with the richest history of bravery and acheivement and despite being a small island with only 60,000,000 people still a major player in the world...

Yep,
                      We are very busy Firefighters...but you know what...I'd trade it all to see my Country back in the hands of the hard working indigenous population where law and respect for your neighbour were upheld. I don't see ir, so when I retire...I will take my envied British education and hard earned pension and spend my time and money somewhere safe where I am appreciated.
                      Steve Dude
                      IACOJ member
                      www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Steve, are you'lls (great American language skills) Rescue's set up like our American counterparts? What pieces of apparatus carry extrication equipement and what kind do you all use? Are most of your trucks made by Volvo?
                        Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

The Rescue Trucks (Fire Rescue Units) are similar to those I Have seen in the US. WE used to have walk through's many years ago, but now they have lockers down the side. They have the usual equipment that a Rescue carries including Extended Duration BA, Hazmat Monitoring equipment, Water rescue, High angle Rescue etc...etc... we have a selection of dedicated USAR vehicles that are based alonside some of the Rescue trucks. These are modualr with one carrying USAR equipment, the next carries wood and material used to shore up buildings, the next carries a 'Bobcat vehicle'

In London we have been using Mercedes since 2002 so there are now only a few of the late 90's Vovlo's left, in fact all of the Volvo Recsues are now in Ireland. In London all of the Pumps carry a set of Holmatro Cutters/spreaders and a mini pump, the Rescues carry a full range of Holmatro cutting gear. Other Fire Briagdes in the UK have a variation...most have the cutting gear on the Pumps, some have one or two Heavy Rescue Trucks, other have smaller Rescue vans that carry cutting gear... but its only really the big Metro Briagdes that have full Rescue trucks. Like I said, London uses Holmatro, no idea what other Brigades use?

Here you go bruv...photos always help...

1973 Emergency Tender

1991 Fire Rescue Unit

2004 Fire Rescue Unit

One of the USAR Vehicles
                          Last edited by SteveDude; 07-22-2006, 05:59 AM.
                          Steve Dude
                          IACOJ member
                          www.fireservice.co.uk

Comment

Steve.. I visited this site: http://www.lfbsite.com/ and was really interested at the stations. Talk about some impressive buildings! What is the deal with some of those HUGE stations? Are there (for example) offices or other businesses in the upper floors and just the fire station at the bottom or what? For example, the Westminister (I think) station. Also, which are the busiest stations.. with 111 Stations, I'm sure some stand out about the rest!

Comment

Robert Feline?

Steve-when did that Bobcat set-up go into Croydon? Would have loved to have a "tu-tu" with that! Just think of all the re-arranging you could do in the staff car park with it. As an ex ET bloke, when did they do away with the walk thru? I think, if memory serves me, 8 man crew-or rather was supposed to be 8 man crew, but we never turned out with more than 6.

That old Shand hand pumper used to sit at the far end of the bay--we tarted it up for the Fire Show 1976 at Crystal Palace. Raised a heap of wedge for charity-Jimmy Saville did the biz for us-good bloke.

"Tu-tu" Maori for mess about with

Comment

One of the older Emergency Tenders (Rescue Trucks) that Steve has been talking about that is currently been used within the DFB.....we've got 2 of these rigs one on either side of the River Liffey....Both are Ex Brit Rescue, both are walk through with full extrication gear, SRT, EMs, Hazmats....etc etc etc

These are soon to be made into reserve rigs as 2 new ones are getting kitted out for us as we speak....

Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X