X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
    UK have just had the hottest July since 1659 (Steve remembers that) with temperatures approaching 40 deg C
    Hmm, so what's that.. about 105 F? How's the humidity over there?

Leave a comment:

• PaulGRIMWOOD
    replied
    UK have just had the hottest July since 1659 (Steve remembers that) with temperatures approaching 40 deg C

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    What is the weather like over there? Shouldn't it be 'cooler' temp wise than us over here dying in the summer's heat!?

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    There are currently 9 Make up/Multi Alarm Incidents going on in London as we speak.

I Have been on 4 Multi Alarm jobs...one straight after the other today. Jesus...this city is burning in the heat.

There are so many grass fires and we are so stretched that other fires that usually get an attendance in a few minutes are getting away becuase of time taken to attend.

I cannot think of a period like this in 20 years!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Nah...that was just the tide...by lifting from the middle we had plenty still....

Leave a comment:

• PattyV
    replied
    Thats what i was thinking when i saw the term 'limitless supply'. That river looked like it was gonna be limited pretty soon.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveDude
    The HVP's are really getting used regularly at large fires because you know how poor our water supply is in the 'Smoke'
    It looks like the LFB's HVP's sucked the river dry!

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Originally posted by 2andfrom
    Steve-when did that Bobcat set-up go into Croydon? Would have loved to have a "tu-tu" with that! Just think of all the re-arranging you could do in the staff car park with it. As an ex ET bloke, when did they do away with the walk thru? I think, if memory serves me, 8 man crew-or rather was supposed to be 8 man crew, but we never turned out with more than 6.

That old Shand hand pumper used to sit at the far end of the bay--we tarted it up for the Fire Show 1976 at Crystal Palace. Raised a heap of wedge for charity-Jimmy Saville did the biz for us-good bloke.

"Tu-tu" Maori for mess about with
    All of the USAR equpment, along with the Mass Decon vehicles and High Volume Pumps are all 'New Dimensions' stuff provided across the UK by the Government as a result of 9/11. The HVP's are really getting used regularly at large fires because you know how poor our water supply is in the 'Smoke'

The Walk Through ET's were replaced by the first 'Fire Rescue Units' in 1991 (see second photo) they now have a 5 man/woman crew.

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    Steve.. I visited this site: http://www.lfbsite.com/ and was really interested at the stations. Talk about some impressive buildings! What is the deal with some of those HUGE stations? Are there (for example) offices or other businesses in the upper floors and just the fire station at the bottom or what? For example, the Westminister (I think) station. Also, which are the busiest stations.. with 111 Stations, I'm sure some stand out about the rest!
    That is a great site...and its all done by a 14 yo kid who goes around the Stations taking photos.

The older Stations (Like Westminster) are large because the Firemen and their families used ot live in them once upon a time, they are now little flats, some are used as offices for Chiefs, Admin staff or just accomodation for the Firefighters.

Some of the big 1960's Stations such as Poplar, Paddington, Lewisham etc were Divisional HQ's when they were built, so they had all the Divisional Chiefs and staff in them

Soho and Dowgate in Central London are built beneath Office Buildings, the Stations themselves are quite small. There are a couple of Brand New ones...Hammersmith, this has Borough Command, and our assessment suite for recruits and promotions. Millwall is built below a block of apartments...its very modern and bright...but nothing like a 'real Fire Station.

Busy, like everywhere else comes in two versions. Places like Soho, go out of the door around about 8000 times each year, but a lot of their calls are alarms and so on. The other type of Busy Stations are the one's I like to work in...they are the ones in the ghetto areas that maybe have around 3/4000 calls but over 1000 of them will be fires. Places such as Poplar, Paddington, Homerton, Dagenham, Brixton, Tottenahm...the list goes on. Then you get the Suburban Fire Stations that are usually well below 2000 each year, but get lots of MVA's and plenty of Grass fires at this time of year....Hornchurch near me is a good example and places such as Hainult, Woodford, Biggin Hill, Sutton etc fall into that crowd.

Leave a comment:

• JonnytheTurk
    replied
    One of the older Emergency Tenders (Rescue Trucks) that Steve has been talking about that is currently been used within the DFB.....we've got 2 of these rigs one on either side of the River Liffey....Both are Ex Brit Rescue, both are walk through with full extrication gear, SRT, EMs, Hazmats....etc etc etc

These are soon to be made into reserve rigs as 2 new ones are getting kitted out for us as we speak....

Leave a comment:

• 2andfrom
    replied
    Robert Feline?

Steve-when did that Bobcat set-up go into Croydon? Would have loved to have a "tu-tu" with that! Just think of all the re-arranging you could do in the staff car park with it. As an ex ET bloke, when did they do away with the walk thru? I think, if memory serves me, 8 man crew-or rather was supposed to be 8 man crew, but we never turned out with more than 6.

That old Shand hand pumper used to sit at the far end of the bay--we tarted it up for the Fire Show 1976 at Crystal Palace. Raised a heap of wedge for charity-Jimmy Saville did the biz for us-good bloke.

"Tu-tu" Maori for mess about with

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    Steve.. I visited this site: http://www.lfbsite.com/ and was really interested at the stations. Talk about some impressive buildings! What is the deal with some of those HUGE stations? Are there (for example) offices or other businesses in the upper floors and just the fire station at the bottom or what? For example, the Westminister (I think) station. Also, which are the busiest stations.. with 111 Stations, I'm sure some stand out about the rest!

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    The Rescue Trucks (Fire Rescue Units) are similar to those I Have seen in the US. WE used to have walk through's many years ago, but now they have lockers down the side. They have the usual equipment that a Rescue carries including Extended Duration BA, Hazmat Monitoring equipment, Water rescue, High angle Rescue etc...etc... we have a selection of dedicated USAR vehicles that are based alonside some of the Rescue trucks. These are modualr with one carrying USAR equipment, the next carries wood and material used to shore up buildings, the next carries a 'Bobcat vehicle'

In London we have been using Mercedes since 2002 so there are now only a few of the late 90's Vovlo's left, in fact all of the Volvo Recsues are now in Ireland. In London all of the Pumps carry a set of Holmatro Cutters/spreaders and a mini pump, the Rescues carry a full range of Holmatro cutting gear. Other Fire Briagdes in the UK have a variation...most have the cutting gear on the Pumps, some have one or two Heavy Rescue Trucks, other have smaller Rescue vans that carry cutting gear... but its only really the big Metro Briagdes that have full Rescue trucks. Like I said, London uses Holmatro, no idea what other Brigades use?

Here you go bruv...photos always help...

1973 Emergency Tender

1991 Fire Rescue Unit

2004 Fire Rescue Unit

One of the USAR Vehicles
    Last edited by SteveDude; 07-22-2006, 05:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GFDLT1
    replied
    Steve, are you'lls (great American language skills) Rescue's set up like our American counterparts? What pieces of apparatus carry extrication equipement and what kind do you all use? Are most of your trucks made by Volvo?

Leave a comment:

• SteveDude
    replied
    Yeah...its good, but its also a good barometer of law and order breaking down in the Country....Crime is rocketing almost everywhere and anti social behaviour is an epidemic among the young.

Things have gotten way to liberal over here... too many people down't give a damn for anything but themselves and will do whatever they want...even injuring, maiming or killing for very little reason. You all know, that like certain part so the US in the 70's... The Bronx is the classic example... when society breaks down, fire and arson go up and the Firefighters get very busy.

Sure, London Firefighters and even more so some of the Firefighters in places like Manchester and Glasgow are seeing an amazing amount of duty.... but how many of us feel that good, when we see the country going down the drain...the Country that our Fathers and Grandfathers fought for, a Country with the richest history of bravery and acheivement and despite being a small island with only 60,000,000 people still a major player in the world...

Yep,
    We are very busy Firefighters...but you know what...I'd trade it all to see my Country back in the hands of the hard working indigenous population where law and respect for your neighbour were upheld. I don't see ir, so when I retire...I will take my envied British education and hard earned pension and spend my time and money somewhere safe where I am appreciated.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X