Lion Bunker Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Someone's relative must have something to do with something. ..Did you make the Blue Line incident?
    No, but we got the Harrison street lock-up fire earlier in the day. 135 prisoners evacuated by cops with machine guns. Pretty cool until the subway story knocked us off the news!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

I thought you guys where in Securitex???

Comment

Originally posted by MurphysFireKC
        I thought you guys where in Securitex???
        We are in 3/4 boots and coats.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
          We are in 3/4 boots and coats.
          Which is still 50 times safer than Securitex. i'm still waiting on my written results, but by god..if I ever get hired by the CFD...I'll buy my own 3/4's and long coat WAY before I ever wear securitex. I have lion pants now, and they are fine, only a few minor wear problems.
          FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Comment

London has used Lion gear for about 7 years now as part of a 'total care package'... we don't own it we lease it, after every 5th wash it gets traded for a new item. The gear is fine, although a little hot, but the version we have is very good in fires and has made the difference between injury and death on a few occassions now.

We use a combination of leggings (pants) that come up to just below the chest and short coats that come down to the waist to give us freedom of movement. The coats are fine, but with the pants coming up so high it traos a bit of heat inside.

A lot of Briagdes in the UK have now adopted this type of package with Lion gear.

7000 Personnel x 300,000 calls every year x 7 years... that isn't a bad record. Although we will be changing to more 'state fo the art' gear in the next year or so.
            Steve Dude
            IACOJ member
            www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

ChicagoFF...

Hmmmm, interesting politics may be playing a part in a purchase deal in Chicago. Is this something new? In Chicago? Come on, now let's be serious. Really in Chicago? Hmmmm, I never made the connection.

FyredUp

By the way...for those of you that may think I am serious in the above posting....get a clue.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
                ChicagoFF...

Hmmmm, interesting politics may be playing a part in a purchase deal in Chicago. Is this something new? In Chicago? Come on, now let's be serious. Really in Chicago? Hmmmm, I never made the connection.

FyredUp

By the way...for those of you that may think I am serious in the above posting....get a clue.

Ah Chicago Politics.... Vote Early, Vote Often!

FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDude
                  London has used Lion gear for about 7 years now as part of a 'total care package'... we don't own it we lease it, after every 5th wash it gets traded for a new item. The gear is fine, although a little hot, but the version we have is very good in fires and has made the difference between injury and death on a few occassions now.

We use a combination of leggings (pants) that come up to just below the chest and short coats that come down to the waist to give us freedom of movement. The coats are fine, but with the pants coming up so high it traos a bit of heat inside.

A lot of Briagdes in the UK have now adopted this type of package with Lion gear.

7000 Personnel x 300,000 calls every year x 7 years... that isn't a bad record. Although we will be changing to more 'state fo the art' gear in the next year or so.
                  I would be concearned with gear pants that come up so high. Everything I have read or heard show that even high back pants are rough on your kidneys. The word is the double layer of gear (pants and coat) over you kidneys can increase the probability of dehydration because it is harder for the heat to escape from your kidneys. I am not a doctor but, this does make sense. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED
                    Ah Chicago Politics.... Vote Early, Vote Often!

FTM-PTB

A vote you can buy is a vote you can trust!

By the way... here are the absentee ballots from the Forestdale Cemetery!
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

My department uses Lion bunker. I personally like it about as much as Morning pride, even thought lion is somewhat bulkier than MP, Lion does keep heat out pretty damn good.
                      "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
                      Firefighter/EMT-B
                      OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Comment

Originally posted by Paul343
                        My department uses Lion bunker. I personally like it about as much as Morning pride, even thought lion is somewhat bulkier than MP, Lion does keep heat out pretty damn good.
                        Im not really worried about it keeping heat out. I'm more concerned with it keeping heat in. So far, it sounds bulky and hot. What is the thinest, lightest stuff out there? Is there such a thing as thin, light bunker gear?

Comment

Originally posted by RES81CUE
                          I would be concearned with gear pants that come up so high. Everything I have read or heard show that even high back pants are rough on your kidneys. The word is the double layer of gear (pants and coat) over you kidneys can increase the probability of dehydration because it is harder for the heat to escape from your kidneys. I am not a doctor but, this does make sense. JMHO

Yes, that has been an issue that I have heard of. Health and Safety is a real pain in the arse in the UK, so you can bet they have had plenty of people looking into it.... The current trials for our new gear as they were for this stuff in the 90's are being carried out under test conditions at the UK Fire Service collegeg where, Crews testing the gear are monitored in a variety of Operational scenarios, I am not sure whether or not we will go for this particular combination again... although they do very detailed testing in the UK, I am not sure whether this Kidny thing was realised originally. The gear is very light to wear, but you are sweating lie a pig within minutes of putting it on...especially this time of year when we are in the high 70's low 80's.
                          Steve Dude
                          IACOJ member
                          www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDude
                            you are sweating lie a pig within minutes of putting it on...especially this time of year when we are in the high 70's low 80's.
                            Down here, we call the high 70's and low 80's a very refreshing cold front!

Comment

I heard the Lion Bid was for Nomex? and Morning Prides was PBI Any truth to that?

If so that dosn't sound like comparing apples to apples.

Comment

Show of Hands

We are getting our first real heat wave of the year here. I know many of you have hot weather many months of the year. We don't , so it takes a while to get acclimated to the heat. How many of you would Midwest people would wear a regular coat, and boots instead of bunker pants when it gets like this? Your work pants would have to be FR. I would do it in a heartbeat. Hows Bostons policy been working?
                                IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X