Bourkes and goggles vs face shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourkes and goggles vs face shields

Hey everyone. Some of us at my depratment are trying to get the brass to let us use bourkes and goggles in place of our face shields on our helmets. I was just hoping anyone with good things to say about bourkes and goggles could post on here so I can take it to the safety committee. Thanks

i dont like the goggles myself. i have seen many times where the faceshield prevented burns to firefighters faces. in one case, a firefighter here was fighting a fire on a tug boat and was going with a team to access the deck bellow to check for fire. when they opened the hatch there was a backdraft like blast. all of the firefighters had their shields down, which saved their faces from being burnt. however the blast was so hot that it melted the faceshield and the decals on their helmit. if they were wearing goggles instead, they would have been seriously burnt. also if their is a chemical splash or something, a shield will protect your face, not just ur eyes. anyways, to each his own. if u like goggles better, go with those.

Comment

i use goggle and bourkes on my 1010. i love the bourkes (although they are the less safe of the two) but i have found the goggles to be fairly useless, as mine just pretty much fog up and obstruct my view. my department requires that i keep them on the helmet, but i keep a pair of safety glasses with me also so i dont have to use the goggles in a "non-facepiece" situation (ie MVA scene)...
      My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Comment

I'm an advocate for face sheilds and bourkes, and my I use a face sheild on my bullard, it hasn't failed me yet. We have a member of our department who hates face sheilds and uses ONLY goggles. He once told me he thinks pulling down a face sheild while having an SCBA mask on is pointless. I don't see the logic in that as it's a second layer of protection and protects your WHOLE face from heat and flying debris but I guess eveyone is entitiled to thier own opinion.
        "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Comment

Originally posted by Kevo231
          i dont like the goggles myself. i have seen many times where the faceshield prevented burns to firefighters faces. in one case, a firefighter here was fighting a fire on a tug boat and was going with a team to access the deck bellow to check for fire. when they opened the hatch there was a backdraft like blast. all of the firefighters had their shields down, which saved their faces from being burnt. however the blast was so hot that it melted the faceshield and the decals on their helmit. if they were wearing goggles instead, they would have been seriously burnt. also if their is a chemical splash or something, a shield will protect your face, not just ur eyes. anyways, to each his own. if u like goggles better, go with those.
          and where was the SCBA during this? if they went in without them they were asking for that.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp630
            Hey everyone. Some of us at my depratment are trying to get the brass to let us use bourkes and goggles in place of our face shields on our helmets. I was just hoping anyone with good things to say about bourkes and goggles could post on here so I can take it to the safety committee. Thanks
            Bourkes: Useless, they are on both my lids for two reasons, one, my N6A looks odd without them, and two they are required on my Conway, per our "helmet rules " I have them only for looks and that's about as useful as they get. After one or two good workers, they are going to be toast. They scratch very easily, and they are not even NFPA/OSHA approved eye protection...so really..don't bother unless you are that hung up on looks.

Faceshields: I don't care for these either, but for splash and face protection it's the best of the two. It will trap fog and steam in, but it's also not approved as primary eye protection. I prefer goggles/safety glasses, it's less weight on my head, they are always clear and clean, and it's one less thing to have to replace.
            FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Comment

I have bourkes and ESS Innerzone 2 goggles on my 1010. I have to say that there are times when the goggles are extremely helpful, and there are times when they are just plain useless. They are great for things like MVA's and such things as that and they are also great for any other task where you would usually have to fumble around in your pocket to find a pair of safety glasses for. However, they don't stand up to the heat very well; and the plastic around the top started to pull back from the lense on a surround and drown right after I got them. My only complaint with not having a faceshield is that layer of protection from heat is gone if your not wearing an airpack for some odd reason. Other than that, I love the bourke/goggle combo.
              Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 04-22-2006, 02:52 AM.
              Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
              Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

On my issued traditional helmet, I too off the Bourks and added goggles. Only way to go.

Comment

Just 4 looks

I just got a new 880. And it has bourks. I had a Ben Franklin for 6 years and it also had bourks. Are helmets came with ESS goggles. But most of the firefighters took them off. When at a fire we have are mask's on. Ive fliped them down sometimes, but they are for looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevo231
                    Anyone open a roof with a chainsaw and get crap in their face even with the face shield?
                    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Just about everything out there becomes useless after a dozen good fires. Bourkes look good, so thats what I use on my helmet. Well I can't say I use them, they're just there.

In my experience, the best thing going is a cheap pair of disposable saftey glasses. Use them unitl they are to dirty or scratched up to see through, then throw them out and get a new pair.
                      RK
                      cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

We have the shields on 1010s. Required. Justification is for eye protection-but watch all the guys with the fried shields-who hide their helmets in their lockers so the Safety Officer won't make them get a new one-tilt their head back so they can see UNDER the shield while using the jaws at a wreck, thereby negating any possible protection.

I have a friend-who happens to be a FF-who has to wear glasses now due to scratches on his eyes that were caused by sawdust from a circular saw.

I replace my shield when it gets damaged, and I wear safety glasses to every medical and MVA. I'd like to keep my vision.

Comment

Have bourkes. They work just fine. They have been working for our department for decades.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Just did saw practice this weekend for FF1 class. About 1/2 the students had Bourkes, rest had faceshields. Almost all had goggles/safety glasses as well. Did not see 1 face shield user rubbing sawdust off their face but did see quite a few Bourke users doing so.

Personally, I like the idea of greater area of coverage with a shield over the little Bourke area. Neither one does a good enough job of eye protection though.
                            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

In choosing a protection package, you need to determine what type of protection you need. An SCBA mask is primary eye protection. Goggles are primary eye protection. A faceshield is secondary eye protection. Flip downs are decorative and provide no rated protection.

Certain operations require primary eye protection, so you would have to: (1) wear a facepiece; (2) wear goggles or (3) wear approved safety glasses.

Personally, I have bourkes on the helmet...as others have said, 'cause it looks right. I carry goggles in my pocket to protect them from heat, soot and scratches so that they are somewhat useful when needed. I recognize that this configuration technically does not meet NFPA standards, but I make that choice consciously as the only non-compliant part is the lack of goggles/faceshield attached to the helmet.
                              Last edited by firemanjb; 04-27-2006, 12:02 PM.
                              My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X