Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

kneepads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kneepads?

I am in my 240 fire class right now and we are doing the maze a few times a day and just a lot of stuff on our knees. My knees are blistered and bleeding from crawling around so much and i was wondering if anyone uses kneepads and if so what kind do you use?
    FFII/EMT-P

Originally posted by trailboss2
    I am in my 240 fire class right now and we are doing the maze a few times a day and just a lot of stuff on our knees. My knees are blistered and bleeding from crawling around so much and i was wondering if anyone uses kneepads and if so what kind do you use?
    I took a class that required a lot of time crawling on concrete floors and metal grate stairs. I found the skateboarding style of knee pad with the hard shell on the knee works quite well. You may be beyond the point of seeing any benefit from these pads other than not doing any further damage.

Good luck.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Not for nothing, not trying to be a (expleritive) why are you spending so much time on your knees to the point you are causing injury to yourself? What is the objective of your training, stay on your knees no matter what?

The sisters would be proude of you though, give it up as a sacrafice to the souls in pergitory.
      "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Comment

Just from crawling on our knees through the maze. The hard wood in the maze and being on my knees like that is causing my pants to have a rug burn effect on my knees.
        FFII/EMT-P

Comment

Just about all CFBT instructors in the UK and probably Europe are provided with knee pads during training burns. The styles and types vary - just go for comfort and durability.
          Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

I have a few things that can be beneficial...get a pair of hard kneepads, as for skateboarding, or what a tile installer may wear. Home Depot, maybe 15-20$
            FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Comment

Durring my accademy it was recomended and most if not all had knee pads.

Most had the elastic type that one would see volleyball players using. They fit under the gear and they were cheap.

Worked well for the 3 months we used them.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Did you have any problems getting them on and off quick? While we are doing this we have to be able to get our gear on in effective time as well.
                FFII/EMT-P

Comment

In my standards 1 and 2 we were not allowed to use knee pads and if you were caught with them you would be punished or disciplined in some way.
                  I still have scars on my knees from all the crawling we did through the smoke tower and burn buildings. The skin would just peel off around your knees and heal up just in time for it to come off again.
                  " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss2
                    Did you have any problems getting them on and off quick? While we are doing this we have to be able to get our gear on in effective time as well.
                    We had probably 5 minutes tops between classes...that includes time to get from location to location...yes it was unrealisitic but I think that was the general idea just to f*ck with us. They come off and on just as fast as you can imagine...I can't imagine this being an issue.

Originally posted by firepimp
                    In my standards 1 and 2 we were not allowed to use knee pads and if you were caught with them you would be punished or disciplined in some way.
                    I still have scars on my knees from all the crawling we did through the smoke tower and burn buildings. The skin would just peel off around your knees and heal up just in time for it to come off again.
                    While I agree that probationary fire school should be one of the most uncomfortable, difficult, challenging environments you will ever face (outside the firefloor) there is no reason to inflict pain, or suffering for no reason....I know a few guys who after a handful of years who have gotten 3/4s disability from their knees being all f*cked up. There is no reason to speed up this process during the accademy.

If you spend as much time on your knees during your academy as I did (I know it sounds really perverted) and I doubt that is possible...if you have the pads I recomended you will be fine.

FTM-PTB

Comment

I got some at the local sports store for $5 that are pretty comfy and they just slide on. Ill just put them on under my duty pants ahead of time because they are pretty small and slim.
                      FFII/EMT-P

Comment

A lot of students at the Massachusetts Fire Academy wear kneepads when performing live burns and search and rescue drills. Kneeling on hard, wet concrete floors, in a word, sucks.
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

we were told to man up, which we did. I learned to duck walk whenever possible
                          The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Comment

I had a pair of volleyball pads that were made with kevlar and just strapped on, no sliding them on. Easy to put on and take off. Just kept them in my boots.
                            NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                            IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED
                              Durring my accademy it was recomended and most if not all had knee pads.

Most had the elastic type that one would see volleyball players using. They fit under the gear and they were cheap.

Worked well for the 3 months we used them.

FTM-PTB

I got some of the cheap vollyball-type kneepads a couple of years ago and I wear them under my gear whenever we go to LSU for training....works great, not expensive. Everybody kind of chuckled at me a bit when I first put them on....by the time we got out of the burn building it was more like "Hey, where can I get some of those?"
                              Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                              Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                              Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                              — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X