Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Marines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines

I am currently waiting to leave for rescruit training in September, i want to be a firefighter when i get out so im thinking bout changing my MOS to AFFR, I just wondering whather or not this would be a good move or just stick with Infantry my current MOS. thanks

military firefighting is obviously way different than civilian firefighing. i considered the same option with the Army but they denied me the job saying there wasnt enough training slots even though im already trained... whatever the case it should be fun and a good experience but i think the transition from military to civilian firefighter could be kinda tough.. good luck and stay safe.

GO NAVY!!

Comment

I would change it to AFFR, because everyone is infantry. My friend went in and told the recruiter he wanted to be a Rifleman and he responded saying that everyone was.
      NEVER FORGET!
      9/11/01

Comment

Thats a primary thing about the USMC, even the cooks are riflemen.
        ~*Chris McCown*~
        FireFighter / Rescue Sergeant / NREMT-P

Comment

Your Choice

You need to go in and do the job you want to do or you will not have a good experience in the military. I saw guys that hated what they did and blamed their recruiter for it and had a really bad and long four years. Dont let them tell you that you can't do something. The word can't has no place in the military.
          If you want to be a firefighter then tell them that you dont want to join unless that is the MOS you can have. You also need to get it in your contract that you are going to be in that MOS and not something else. They will tell you that you can get it changed in bootcamp. HORSEPUCKY! Get it done now or you are going to be a grunt. Personally I would join the Navy and be a Corpsman with the Marines all over again. That was the best job I have ever had! Look into the area of Special Forces as well. High speed training and loads of fun.

Send me an email if want more info.

Matt

Comment

"Every Marine a rifleman." Thank you Gen. Gray.

Getting your MOS changed if you have already signed a contract will be one of the moset difficult things that you can do. You have filled a slot to be a Grunt. It is possible, but difficult to do. Talk to your recruiter first, they need the numbers and they can talk to the jammers to see if you can fill a billet if it is available. Don't get your hopes up though.

Even if you can't do firefighting, your time in The Corps will serve you well in your life. A sense of discipline, order, and comraderie is never a bad thing to have in your life. You will be able to do more in your life as a civilian because of your time in.

As for pwc's comment, being a Corpsman assigned to the Marines will help you tremendously as well. Medical experience is going to help get you a job as a firefighter, especially since you'll get your EMT (and possibly Paramedic) paid for and the experience. As he said, as a Corpsman, you will be treated as if you were God Himself by your Marines.
            "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

See if your recruiter can get you an affr spot, but it has always been a pretty long waiting list if they could even get you a spot. The demand for the position is pretty high, the ASVAB requirement has be historically relatively low, and so you have a large qualified group going for a very limited number of spaces. In 1989 the DEP wait was about a year and a half. Which is one reason it was not my MOS. This also means no signing bonus on top of the wait. All the guys I knew in the MOS loved it, a few got positions on the rescue bird, a CH-46 named Pedro, and got secondary MOS's as rescue swimmers and were put through paramedic school at the USMC's expense. That is pretty much the only way to be a "Marine Medic" rather then a Navy Corpsman. So the job holds great opportunities as well. Since you have a ship date, it is going to be tough to get them to help you with this very much, but good luck. Can't hurt anything by asking.

Semper Fi,
              Dennis
              Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
              -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
              LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Good luck changing your MOS. ARFF (Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting)is a challenging field, and ARFF Marines (MOS 7051) work 84-96 hr weeks on station, more deployed. Bonafide emergencies are rare, at least in the states. Over at Al Asad things are a bit busier, but a bunch of my guys did 7 months there and all they had were some minor overshoots and an engine fire. One of them is receiving the Firefighter of the Year for Heroism for his actions during a rocket attack.

Don't expect ARFF to be all action-it's mostly That said, there is a lot of training, and you'll still get some "trigger time" a couple of times a year.

Depending on where you want to be a firefighter when you get back, the experience and certifications can help. Most states will accept or give reciprocity to the DoD fire certifications. Additionally, most ARFF sections will give you an opportunity to get your emergency medical technician license. However, in the event you can't change the MOS, know that being a MARINE is the most important thing you will earn. It will (usually) give you an edge in the employment process.

Best of luck at boot camp. I hope you're getting in shape now.

MSgt V

Comment

Originally posted by gunnyv
                  Best of luck at boot camp. I hope you're getting in shape now.

MSgt V
                  Top, be nice to the boy. You're going to scare him.

The title Marine is something that you will earn, and even if you don't like your time in The Corps, it will be a sense of self pride for you for the rest of your life. You earned the title on your own, shedding a bit of blood, sweat, and maybe a few tears along the way.

Are you going to San Diego or The Island? This question needs to be answered.
                  "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by DaSharkie

Top, be nice to the boy. You're going to scare him.

The title Marine is something that you will earn, and even if you don't like your time in The Corps, it will be a sense of self pride for you for the rest of your life. You earned the title on your own, shedding a bit of blood, sweat, and maybe a few tears along the way.

Are you going to San Diego or The Island? This question needs to be answered.
                    He wants to be a Marine, no way he is going to San Diego!
                    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Im going to the Island, and yes ive been working out and running, i really cant wait to leave, but then again im nervous as hell, thanks everybody for the responces, im still split 50/50 on my decission, as a rifleman or firefighter, thanks

Comment

Dennis,

Exactly what I was looking for. If he was going to San Diego I was going to make sure he brought some sun tan lotion. They'd issue him the sunglasses when he reported aboard.

You know 13 years ago August 12th I reported to PISC for 12 weeks of fun in the sun with the billions of sand fleas, fire ants, snakes, gators, and the occassional shark. I have never been to a place that was so humid 24 hours a day at The Island is. I remember walking out of the barracks at zero dark thirty and the utilities just becoming soaked in a matter of seconds.

You shall have to let us know upon your graduation so we may welcome you the only true brotherhood there is.

Best wishes.

Oh yeah, the only downside I recall to the ARFF field was that the promotions were really slow past LCPL and the P-19s were older than most of the guys running them. But being Marines, they guys always made the best of it. Perhaps the Top could let us know if anything has changed.

Comment

Things are about the same-same P-19s, they've been "refurbished", which means they slapped a new coat of paint on them. Promotions go hot and cold, but they used to be even slower in the grunts. That may have changed with a war on and 2 new battalions standing up.

I happen to have passed through Diego, and noone issued me any sunglasses, just sunburned ears Rained once in the 81 days I was there. Could have used earplugs to block out the jets from the airport though. I've never seen a DI so ****ed off as when he's drilling you on the grinder and gets his command drowned out by a plane overhead. You PI guys had gators and swamp to keep you honest-at Diego, you watched that Freedom Bird take off every 3 minutes, with only a fence and some angry DIs in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnyv
                            Things are about the same-same P-19s, they've been "refurbished", which means they slapped a new coat of paint on them. Promotions go hot and cold, but they used to be even slower in the grunts. That may have changed with a war on and 2 new battalions standing up.

I happen to have passed through Diego, and noone issued me any sunglasses, just sunburned ears Rained once in the 81 days I was there. Could have used earplugs to block out the jets from the airport though. I've never seen a DI so ****ed off as when he's drilling you on the grinder and gets his command drowned out by a plane overhead. You PI guys had gators and swamp to keep you honest-at Diego, you watched that Freedom Bird take off every 3 minutes, with only a fence and some angry DIs in the way.
                            Top, your description of "refurbished" is classic. I love it.

As for your time in San Diego, we'll just say that not everyone can be perfect.

As for not getting your sunglasses, you evidently ****ed off the supply guys. You should know better than that. They are the most important folks to make friends with in the battalion.

The gators, snakes, and sharks may have kept me honest, but damned if I didn't look across Port Royal Sound and see all the activity. Drove me nutty on firewatch at zero dark thirty.

Worst thing was the day I graduated and realized that the main road leading on/off the island was right there at the end of the street that 1st RTB was on. Talk about being stupid.

Oh, and who would have thunk that you can do a 16 mile hump around an island that friggin' small?

Semper Fi!

Comment

OK gents...let a former 7051 thru here...make a hole

OK. If you have ANY questions, email me.
                              rscamaro73 @ nastyz28 DOT com

I spent 12 years active duty ARFF. Worked my way up to Section Leader, and held other billets in the MOS. Hell, I even got to spend time as the Company Gunny at MCAS Camp Pendleton for a spell since I knew my chit inside and out

Like mentioned, there IS NOT alot of 'action'...maybe some 'chip warning lights' , hung landing gear (even on the 53's) , and the occasional 'wet start' are the norm. What AREN'T the norm are the 'full on' crashes on the airfield (or even off).

P-19's are a joke. I came in in 90 and they were falling apart then. The rehab was even more of a joke. Trucks started dropping out of the sky and into the Motor Pool lots in deadline status. Things we NEVER had problems with (engines and trannies for example) started taking dumps. Frames were cracking. I dunno....but someone made off like a bandit (company that initially did it went out of business and sold off its stuff to someone else that jacked the parts prices up 3 fold).

Anyways.....school is now in Goodfellow AFB, TX (San Angelo). Its quite a time there (considering the school was only 19 training days when I went thru it), but you get REAL WORLD certs now. Just don't get used to the chowhalls there

Some advice...if you wanna do this, then give it 110%. Get under the wing of a GOOD NCO (you'll know who's worth a crap after about 2-3 weeks on section). Work on getting your licenses (its a big deal in this MOS). Study your NATOPS manuals. I can STILL rattle off info from it ALot of the training you do is REPEDITIVE. VERY TEDIOUS. But then again, some classes are out of the area (like swift water rescue or hi/low angle rescue) and are like a training vacation. Those classes are the carrots that get dangled in front of everyone to see who deserves to go. I shafted myself several years in a row sending my guys to EMT school while I never went. Oh well....hope they got something out of it.

By the time you get done with bootcamp, MCT, and crash school....it'll be close to your 9 month - 1 yr mark in....keep your head and your rear wired together and do what you need for promotion (MCI's, good PFT, Good Rifle range scores, BST knowledge) and you'll see promotions flying at you.

I kinda wish someone would have explained all this to me when I was a young devildog....woulda kept me out of trouble early on....lol.

YUT! Don't hesitate to ask me anything if the question pops up. I still know ALOT of Marines still in the MOS.....

Carry on....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse