X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DennisTheMenace
    replied
    Originally posted by stillPSFB

THAT would just about be the understatement of the month! Especially given that the mayoral election was scheduled for September 11 that year. Who wanted to be mayor probably didn't even make anyone's list of priorities right about then.
    Actually that was the primary, not the election itself.

Leave a comment:

• gunnyv
    replied
    I don't think anyone is arguing against the existence of ESU, or that they should not be trained to do many of the things they do. Only that they don't need to respond to the same incidents to perform the same job as the Fire Dept. It makes more sense to have 6 FFs in bunker gear perform a vehicle extrication than 2 cops in patrol uniform.

Leave a comment:

• stillPSFB
    replied
    Originally posted by jfTL41
    I don't know, except for knowing who is the mayor, I couldn't tell you anything about the 2001 election, it was kind of a busy time.
    THAT would just about be the understatement of the month! Especially given that the mayoral election was scheduled for September 11 that year. Who wanted to be mayor probably didn't even make anyone's list of priorities right about then.

Leave a comment:

• jfTL41
    replied
    Check this out.

http://ufalocal94.org/news_stories/n..._03_06_05.html

Leave a comment:

• stcommodore
    replied
    how do i hear nypd dispatch like I do fdny?

Leave a comment:

• jfTL41
    replied
    I don't know, except for knowing who is the mayor, I couldn't tell you anything about the 2001 election, it was kind of a busy time.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    The FMBA is an association, marshals and sfm's are in it, it is not a labor union, the marshals are UFA members and the supervising marshals are UFOA members.
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

But the FMBA DID endorse him, was I correct in that?

Leave a comment:

• jfTL41
    replied
    The Mayor has no regard for politics or who voted for him, he gets missile lock on something and is used to getting what he wants. I.E. the Westside stadium drama, it wouldn't surprise me to see him personnally outbid the opposition and build his own damned stadium/ conference center.

Leave a comment:

• jfTL41
    replied
    The FMBA is an association, marshals and sfm's are in it, it is not a labor union, the marshals are UFA members and the supervising marshals are UFOA members.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    George,

"Don't bet on Bloomberg calling for the closing of the BFI. They are one of, if not THE only union to endorse him when he ran."

The Marshals are members of the UFA, their bosses are in the UFOA. He closed companies last year didn't he? This man does not care about politics or votes, he has stated this repeatedly and shows it everyday. He is trying to run the city as a business governed by the bottom line and it's not working out too well for us.
    So if a FDNY Frei MArshal claimed to be a member of the Fire Marshal's Benevolent Association, they would be lying? There is no such organization? They didn't endorse the Mayor in his election bid?

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    Police capabilites and they don't want to sustain the operation, they just want photo's of ESU cops carrying stokes baskets or getting in the way.
    I will say in my dealings with them most of the ESU guys do their job and aren't usually a pain in the ***. Although there are some guys with attitudes that cause problems.(just like we have some as well).

That being said I can relate a little story about the Penn Station Train Accident Last year that went to 3 alarms and how the NYPD ESU Media Whores worked. After assisting with packaging a number of patients that had very minor injuries (looking to sue the MTA or NJT). We were along with many other companies standing by in case more people needed treatment. ESU was milling around as well.

There were many more patients than avaiable ambulances so they had to wait on the backboards while some busses would come to the street level and pick a few up.

Well suddenly a swarm of media and cameras came down the escalators with PC Kelly and I think FD Chief of Ops Cassano and maybe the FD commish. Someone somewhere with a ESU radio tiped these guys off and as the cameras were comming down....sudenly these commandos grab a few backboards with patients attached and make a large commotion and hustle them up the escalators. (They were in such a hurry to look good they actually DROPPED a Patient while getting on the escalators!) The Cameras got their shots of ESU hard "at work" and the patients that were wisked to the surface presumably because they were in critical need of awaiting ambulances.... They were left on the pavement in the driveway under the Garden because there were no ambulances comming for some time. I had to go to the street to get something for the boss and I stood and watched for awhile and they laid there for some time. Needless to say completely unnecessary other than it was a show for the media at these patients expense.

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    Trust me, you don't get it.

Whatever

Leave a comment:

• jfTL41
    replied
    George,

"Don't bet on Bloomberg calling for the closing of the BFI. They are one of, if not THE only union to endorse him when he ran."

The Marshals are members of the UFA, their bosses are in the UFOA. He closed companies last year didn't he? This man does not care about politics or votes, he has stated this repeatedly and shows it everyday. He is trying to run the city as a business governed by the bottom line and it's not working out too well for us.

Leave a comment:

• SAFD46Truck
    replied
    I don't get what all the fuss is about here. Unless you work for FDNY or live in NYC...who cares? I'm sure if the whole FDNY/ESU situation was that ridiculous/terrible the brothers on here would let us know. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    As for the marshalls, the PD cannot touch their level of expertise in cause and origin, however I think that within a short period of time they too will be a part of FD history. The current administration already closed 6 companies and most of the BFI bases, he (Bloomburg) has already stated that "when" he is re-elected he plans on closing 25-30 more companies.
    Don't bet on Bloomberg calling for the closing of the BFI. They are one of, if not THE only union to endorse him when he ran.

As far as your other post, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Police responses are way different than FD responses. It is not uncommon to stack calls until a unit is available. I completely agree that many ESU responses are called off before they commit, but I can't see that as a negative. They are called off because the job was unfounded or the precinct cops were being cops and called off ESU when they are not needed. They just move on to the next stacked call.

My point was to listen to them to see what types of jobs they are sent to.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X