Lack of visible house numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LFD1MICHAEL
    We have had success with Eagle Scouts doing house numbering as their final project. Good pricing for supplies with the local hardware store and the department pickup truck. This would also be a great project for your junior or explorer or cadets whatever you call them. It's hard to say no to a polite uniformed young gentleman or lady knocking on your door,with the FD pickup in the end of the driveway.

Try this.....

Good morning we are canvasing your street today and noticed your mailbox was lacking the correct numbers.
    ( If appropriate; are you aware of the local code or ordinance? )
    I have a whole selection right here with me, I would be happy to apply them for you.
    We have negotiated funding for this through our local hardware store (mention their name) the letters only cost $.. apiece. If you would pay for your numbers that would allow us to help more in our community. If you don't have the $.... right now or don't want to pay would it still be alright if I put numbers on your mailbox. (nice guilt trip here, c'mon who doesn't have a "fiver" in the cookie jar)

I also like the idea of the "door hangers" mentioned earlier. If you are on their street don't miss the opportunity just because someone is not home.
    Hey, Michael. Is there a local code or ordinance regarding house and mailbox numbers? I know this wont apply to one portion of the response area but it could help with the remainder. I am not aware of any codes.

Thanks.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

If your jurisdiction uses the International Code Series, the IRC Specifically calls out for (if I remember correctly) 4" numbers of a different color/contrast from the background they are installed on. Can't remember the specific section right now....I'm pretty sure that both the IBC and the IFC also call out for addresses on all buildings- residential and non-res.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Shawn, I am almost positive (98%) there is a Town of Lewiston ordinanace regarding house numbers, visability, size etc. Call town hall or maybe the building or fire inspector. I believe 7m7c (numbur39 dave or something) actually was on of our eagle scout project people.
        mp

Comment

Originally posted by LFD1MICHAEL
          Shawn, I am almost positive (98%) there is a Town of Lewiston ordinanace regarding house numbers, visability, size etc. Call town hall or maybe the building or fire inspector. I believe 7m7c (numbur39 dave or something) actually was on of our eagle scout project people.
          mp
          Maybe I should ask Les about that. Thanks
          Shawn M. Cecula
          Firefighter
          IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Shawn,
            Yes there is a town ordinance requiring house numbers, I don't remember exactly what it says. Les would be a good contact, he's on the fire board. And yes, it was my eagle project. I might even have some leftover numbers from the project still.
            Stay Safe

Comment

I know that not every locality can do this, but back home in my area of VA, when they finally brought 911 service into place (late 90s) many counties had markers made up (counties paid for it too) for every single address that are planted in the ground right near the road. They are marked with hi-vis numbers and are easy to see, day or night. Its been a huge sucess from what the guys on the Keysville FD and Charlotte Co. EMS have told me.

That's just one idea. Of course, if your county/municipality doesn't have the money/will to do so, then some kind of campain to get the residents to help out is definitely a great idea.
              Tom Warshaw
              Station 13 (Bethel)
              Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Comment

When the mailboxes are all on one side of the road,it helps to have an arrow indicating which box is for which house.
                Like a lot of areas,my old department served a district where it was a benefit to have lived there a few years,if not from birth because then you'd know who the Johnsons were and that they lived where the Drivers live now.

Comment

Thanks for the links and the information....how did you go about selling the signs? Door to door? Tables at events? My community is very rural and widespread so just trying to come up with ideas to get them out to everybody.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X