Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Apparatus placement question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparatus placement question

Is this an appropriate place for an engine considering the level of involvement and building construction? We have a similar building in our district. Thanks.
    Attached Files

It is a bit close, alright really close, but you do what you have to do in the real world. Depending on the broader picture (no pun intended there ) what is on the chauffer's side of the ladder in the pic? A parking lot? Another building? That is what is going to dictate where you park your rig.

I can't imagine telling the guys in Boston or NYC not to park the engine in front of brick brownstone or a walkup because "the book" says that you shouldn't park in the collapse zone of a building, so you'd better hump another 50 feet down the road and slap another 50' of hose on the line so we don't worry about a possible collapse.

Of course, some guys might do it and pray they cna force the wall down so they can get a new rig, but that is a whole other issue.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

close ya .........but you may be able to push the wall in with the deck gun ?
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

You dont know how late into the fire this is. Maybe 45 minutes or more ago the fire wasn't where it's showing in the picture and that area might have been clear.

Comment

Always pull the truck past the building, so the rear of the truck is at a corner. As well as getting a 3 sided view of the building, you are in the least likely place to get damage from a collapse. Also aids getting lines off the rear of the truck in a more effcient fashion.
          "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
          Chief 1899-1911
          Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Comment

A bit close for my liking.....
            09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
            ------------------------------
            IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
            "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
            BMI Investigator
            ------------------------------
            The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

This picture as with all pictures shows one moment. Who knows what the conditions were when those rigs got there, maybe they were down the block at a secondary hydrant and the fire was in a different area of the building on arrival. Who knows? Hindsight is 20/20 don't second guess the brothers' operations.

Comment

Guess they weren't real clear at the academy about the "wet stuff on the red stuff".. maybe they should have said "the fire".

Seriously, we do not know what the conditions were on arrival. Maybe it was a seemingly small and controllable fire in that area? Maybe the Truck arrived first and took the outside spot? Maybe there are power lines in the area and that forced the placement shown?
                Maybe as 41 said they were not first due and the fire was not in that area of the structure when they arrived? As IC, I probably would have had the engine relocated by now, but maybe they are shorthanded and that just has not been communicated as of yet. Basically I would need to see more to make a judgement.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Guess they weren't real clear at the academy about the "wet stuff on the red stuff".. maybe they should have said "the fire".
                  Now that's good. I like it a lot. I couldn't figure out how to say that myself I kept thinking the poor guy on the deck gun needed more pressure and a better angle.
                  "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Pressure

Dasharkie,

You got it before I did. I was going to say that it looked like the master stream could have used a little more pressure. But again not sure , becuase we were not there.. They couldhave just started the deck gun.
                    Thanks
                    DM

Comment

Well................

There's someone on the ladder, possibly just starting to get off after rigging the ladder pipe. A coupla windows look like they were boarded up, and just plain instinct tells me that this one is vacant. With that, I'd be paying as much attention as possible to the standard scenario that turns the building into large piles of bricks in a short time. As a Chief, I wouldn't spot an Engine there, BASED ON WHAT IS SHOWN in the picture, but, the picture doesn't show much. Anyone got a handle on where this is? I'd like to learn more about it.
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Harve it came from here

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=38310
                        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

moved

If you look at the photo slide show given by the news. You will notice that the Engine was moved before too long out of the area and the ladder truck next to it was setting up. I go now with the theory they were there before it got that big.
                          Thanks
                          DM

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

Haha, wasn’t even gonna go there...

Hindsight is 20/20 don't second guess the brothers' operations.
                            The fire service is always been a reactionary trade. We need to start focusing more on accident prevention before the accident occurs. One way we can do this is through critiquing incidents.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90