Winter operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The following came from a war story, not my expierience:

Make sure you keep the the fittings your carry on the tailboard or outside the truck in the OPEN position. I guess what happend was they had a gated wye attached to the rear tailboard. After they washed the appartaus they got a call and it was filled with water and froze on the way to the call.

If you wash the appartaus ,you should take a towel and dry the rubber seal on the side doors. I guess after you wash it, water hangs out in there for a while and will freeze on the way to a call. The guy said it wasnt so much hard.....a good tug will open it but it tears off the rubber seal.
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-24-2004, 02:25 AM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Yes, the quartz hallogen light thing actually does work. Those things get hot, go turn one on and put your hand about six inches away from it.

A couple more little tricks: have isopropal alcohol (gas line antifreeze)and or WD-40 stored in the cab (or somewhere warm) works good for couplings and nozzles. Be careful around fire with this stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind; if you are using PPV on a structure/house and the damage is minimal don't freeze up the plumbing by letting the fan run for longer than needed. But, as always, keep FF safety in mind. One other note about PPV during the cold...the fan may try to slide away from where you placed it...ice. If this happens...you just found another use for wheel chocks or the halligan tool.

Comment

Another couple tips;

Use the exhaust to thaw frozen fittings, nozzles, etc.

If we're on scene for a long amount of time, we try to run all the gas or diesel engines that we have there to keep them from staying cold. Doesn't matter whether it's a generator or a chainsaw..We try to start everything and run everything for a short time just in case we need it.

Comment

Excellent thread guys, lots of good ideas! I hope we don't have to use them over the next couple of days.
          Chief
          Wren Volunteer Fire Department
          IACOJ
          Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
          FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
          1946-2005
          "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Comment

If it's a cold day and the road that your on with the trucks turns to ice, and happens to be on a hill (this is from personal experience), 1st, make sure the darned truck won't slide...we ended up chocking all the wheels...and ended up using the "dead" hoselines that were laying on the ground as a way to pull ourselves up the hill. worked out great. just grab onto the hose and do a hand over hand method to slide/walk your way up the sheet of ice. The guys down below were looking at us like we're crazy (not the 1st time that night at the fire) but when they tryed walking up the hill, the 1st thing they did was grab the hose.
            The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Comment

WOW .............these are all I could find !

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...ghlight=winter

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...ghlight=winter
              IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
              Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
              ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
              RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
              LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
              I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
              "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
              http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Thanks, Weruj1. Atleast I didn't beat a dead horse (perhaps just a pony) That second link was funny.....LMAO. I noticed that the thread from 2001 had very few people that are still around today on the forums.
                Chief
                Wren Volunteer Fire Department
                IACOJ
                Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
                FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
                1946-2005
                "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Comment

Here is a tip that I have used in the past for the SCBA masks .... wash them with everyday dish or hand soap .... rinse gently with COLD water and allow to air dry which leaves a very thin film on the lenses and really does help prevent the lense from fogging. This si something I learned long ago while skiing competitivly as I used to use it on my glasses and ski goggles.
                  Here is another personal tip and this one is gonna sound very strange, but it works. Before ya put your socks on, wipe your foot with some anti-persperaint. It slows down the sweating process, which keeps your socks drier and in turn, keeps your feet warmer since the drier socks wicks away less heat from the foot. It does make a difference during those extended operations.
                  PS ... Don't let the LA fool ya ... northern boy born and raised.
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

PS ... Don't let the LA fool ya ... northern boy born and raised.
                    Damn well better be!

Sorry for not being around if you called...Family decided ''Were going on vacation...To Denmark!''

I'll be home on Thursday, will you still be around then?

Comment

Another good winter-time use for quartz lights:

Put some on your patients in vehicle rescues. I know it's bright as hell, but it help keeps them warm. Be sure to cover them with lots of heavy blankets. We also carry some extra ski-caps and some extra pairs of those cheaper knitted gloves that you can get at the store to use on patients wherever possible. Anything to help keep em warm, since most people don't drive in their full winter get-up.
                      "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X