No announcement yet.

Traditional Helmets????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be sort of jealous of those departments that had the traditional style helmet. When I was growing up my fathers department had them so I sort of grew up thinking that was a REAL firefighters helmet. I never really put one on until a few weeks ago when my younger brother had one in his car.(Cairns 1010) I'd have to say as envious as I was when I put it one my head I thought it felt like a cement block being nested on my head. I'll agree with everyone here that they do look cool but I'll stick with my nice and light Cairns Metro, Thank You.

Comment

Cairns 1010 is a nice helmet. Give Casco or Helmet Parts Source a call, both will give you a good price. I took the face shield off and added Bourkes and a set of EAS goggles.

Comment

I always liked the Traditional helmets, so I bought my own cairns 1010, I have no problems with it and hope I never am with a department that requires a euro style helmet, I want a leather one but am a poor college student so will hold off on that for a while. for a good deal go to www.thefirestore.com

Comment

I own a Cairns New Yorker and I love it. If I had to go to a composite. I would go with a 1010 they are a nice helmet. Hopefully that day doesn't come but, if it does I would definitely choose a 1010.
          Although one of the guys in my department just got a new Leather and I swear when I picked up the box with it in it I thought there was a 1010 in it the helmet was noticeably lighter than mine which is only about two or three years old. Definitely Leather Forever Everything else is just a salad bowl

Comment

I'm one of the very few that like the "modern" style lids vs the "traditional" style. Has mostly to do with the weight and balance of them. Perhaps the higher dollar premium leathers are better balance and lighter.

Of the composite traditionals I have had the Bullards, Cairns and just recently the Conway.

The Bullards are the most economical, but in the 'modern" style have not held up well and have recently been removed from service by a number of different departments locally.

The Cairns 1010 has a reputation for durability and is very widely used. For me though it is just an atrocious fit. Feels awkward and I almost always have a headache after 20 minutes of wearing it, not to mention the neckache of it. My career dept insists upon them though, because we want to look 'cool' the big east coast boys.

My vollie dept recently purchased a number of the Conway 'traditional'style composite helmets. I was very suprised and immpressed. It is too early to tell about durability, but the were cost competitive to the Bullards, $40+ cheaper than the Cairns and they feel signicantly LIGHTER, which is the issue to me. (I try not to look at myself, so I don't care what I look like - which after all is really the reason people buy composite 'traditional' helmets)

Good luck
            Chris

Comment

Cairns N5A New Yorker. Nothing else.

------------------
              J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

Comment

We just got our first traditional styles for the whole department. Never tried leather (would like to, but too expensive for my blood), nor have I tried any other brands. But, I'm extremely fond of the Paul Conways. Mine feels like I'm wearing a baseball cap, comfortable and light. Like tlfd600 said, try www.thefirestore.com they gave us a helluva deal. A lot better than anyone else I tried when we got ours.

Comment

Ok, here's a question...why dont departments allow the use of New Yorkers, but allow Hustons? Is there really much difference other than the puncture layer?

Comment

I'm not sure, on the New Yorker vs. Houston thing. I suspect it's because the New Yorker isn't NFPA compliant, while the Houston is.

The New Yorker *is* OSHA compliant.

I still wouldn't go with anything else, though.

------------------
                    J. Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated.

[This message has been edited by BucksEng91 (edited 03-07-2001).]

Comment

Cairns Leather N5A New Yorker.....

THAT's IT

I hate the new tetrahedrons that MSA is putting on them now though..

------------------
                      Mike DeVuono

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Comment

LEATHER FOREVER !!!!!!

Comment

Leather with out ratchet. Had mine for over 15 years and would trade it for nothing.

Comment

Cairns 1010 3rd choice.
                            Cairns N6A or N5a 2nd choice

Cairns 5A before impact and ratchet - 1st

Does anybody wonder how many of us will retire with a neck injury from the weight of these helmets?

I love my leather!

Dave

------------------
                            In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

Comment

Leather is the only way to go and the only leather is the Cairns N5A NEW YORKER.
                              Once you wear one you'll never want to wear another helmet. By the wat the ratchets come out of the new ones and the only real diffrence between the huston and the new yorker is the visor...

Comment

The only real difference between the N6A(Houston) and N5A(New Yorker) is an extra layer of kevlar for penetration protection. To be NFPA approved the N6A has to have either the full face shield or the goggles.

I just purchased a Houston, and I am putting Bourkes on it anyways. They are always handy in a pinch, 'cause they never fall off.

------------------
                                In Memory of those who have passed before us, may their loss not be in vain........

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X