No announcement yet.

Poor Decision in Sugar Grove, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously, Weruj1 is delirious with booredom today......LOL!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

A quiet day at the console for weruj1 is a busy day for ancient threads!!
      Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

Thats why I say its always better to ask forgivness than permission.
        RK
        cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Crap! I just spent 5 minutes reading this post before I realized it was almost 4 years old!

Oh well. Now that I'm here - We had a somewhat similar incident where our Chief refused to allow a truck to attend the funeral of a dept. member who had died while off duty. We would have followed the directive from the Chief, but thankfully we were able to exert some political pressure and get the order reversed.

This kind of insensitive thinking from admin types doesn't just happen in small departments.

Comment

My perspective...some of the departments in that area are very limited in the number of rigs available to them on a normal day. The day of Andy's (God rest his soul) funeral there were SOOOOO many rigs out of service that many, many fire companies were stretched thin. When our engine returned from standing by in Rocky Grove (we covered a midnight to six shift) we were dispatched on first alarm for a house fire (1/2 before the service)...the nearest coverage engine we could move to our station was from Cochranton (17 miles away in Crawford County). The out-pouring for the service was CERTAINLY justified...but perhaps the Sugar Grove Chief was in a position that he just couldn't take another frontline piece out of service.
            May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Comment

This isn't anything to debate.

Insubordination in a paramilitary organization.

Told directly not to use department resources in that manner. And did so anyways.

You are dismissed.
              Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
              -------
              Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

Comment

Update

My husband is one of the firefighters that were kicked out of the Sugar Grove VFD. And two of the others are still very good friends of ours. The other two have moved away. At the time we had only been dating for six months. I would first like to say that I was, and still am, very proud of all five of these firefighters. When they were told no they were given no reason except that Larry was the chief and said no. And yes, they did expect to be punished for disobeying an order. They knew that they had disobeyed an order.

Since then, Larry is no longer chief. He was voted out the year after the incident happened. Justin, my husband, rejoined four years ago. He was the training officer last year and still is. Also this year he was appointed as the second lieutenant. The daughter of our friends joined last year as a junior and has become an active member this past June. Even though she went to college an hour away last month she still responds with the department.

This whole situation still upsets me very much. It is still talked about in the department and around town. And most people feel that what happened to these five firefighters was outrageous.

Amanda Darr

Comment

nice bump !
                  IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                  Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                  ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                  RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                  LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                  I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                  "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                  http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by ajoandarr View Post
                    When they were told no they were given no reason except that Larry was the chief and said no.
                    Amanda Darr
                    Um, maybe im missing something. Since when does the boss need to give a reason.
                    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Comment

Well, since I wouldn't consider Larry (or any other fire chief) a boss, I think he did need to give a reason. I don't know about the department you belong to, but in SGVFD things like this are usually brought up to the at least the trustees for a discussion. Then the group decides what action will take place. It works more like a democracy, not a dictatorship. Larry didn't consult with any one else in the department-just made up his mind without even a minute of thought behind it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X