Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Facial Hair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The career firefighters in my department are supposed to be clean-shaven. Facial hair should be limited to a moustache only. For the volunteer division, however... Anything goes. One of our most dedicated volunteers has a full beard and has always claimed that it did not interfere with him getting a good seal. Yesterday, he proved he had no problems when he passed fit testing with his full beard.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow! you're in school and you still have the goatee!

When I started, The first day I walked in to class the teacher made an example of me and showed the class how not to come to school. He pointed to my goatee and plainly said if this is not off your face by the next class, don't bother showing up.

That was a LONG time ago and I can tell you it must have had some effect on me because I've been a mustache-only guy ever since.

Seriously, like everyone said, it doesn't make sense to have it. Right or wrong, religous reasons or not, you owe it to yourself to be as safe as possible and when something like this can come in the way of a good seal on your scba it needs to go.

Comment

Gonzo, wrong.

The fit test requirements are independent of the use requirements, where the hair requirements reside. A sucessful fit test does not get you out of the hair requirements, summarized in English below from OSHA's web site:

It does not matter if hair is allowed to grow on other areas of the face, if it does not protrude under the respirator seal, or extend far enough to interfere with the device's function (such as the interference with valve function). Accordingly, short mustaches, sideburns and small goatees that are trimmed so that no hair underlies the seal of the respirator present no hazard and do not violate [29 CFR 1910.134(g)(1)(i)]. In general, however, beards present serious problems of acceptability because their texture and density vary daily, there is no consistency to respirator fit, and there is higher leakage.

Comment

more info

from the preamble to the OSHA Respiratory Standard:

OSHA does not find this study a persuasive basis for changing its position on facial hair. The fact that an acceptable protection factor can be obtained for a bearded respirator wearer in a workplace protection factor study does not mean that the worker can achieve the same protection level each time the respirator is used. First, protection factor studies are designed to minimize program defects and are often conducted under very tight supervision, which is generally not typical of conditions in real workplaces. Second, beards grow and change daily, resulting in variability of protection from one day to the next.

Comment

On the days I work I keep my face clean shaven but on my days off (like this weekend when I'm off Fri, Sat and Sunday) I usually let my face grow out. If I respond as a vollie to a call the little bit of stubble that I get from just 2, 3 at the most, days of growth is usually not enough to interfere with getting a seal. While I keep my face shaven others in my combo department sometimes have goatees when working. Just this month I worked 2 paid shifts with a partimmer who had a goatee. I guess it depends on who you are and where you work.
            Steve
            EMT/Security Officer

Comment

posted by Grit76
              Gonzo, wrong.
              I don't set Department policy... I am just another Captain on an Engine company.
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Most of us would be up in arms if our employers violated OSHA standards affecting our safety. Why do we then do it to ourselves? We've all taken the fit test and I think it's pretty obvious that it just doesn't compare to fighting a fire. Having to stay clean shaven is a small price to pay for being able to do this job.

Comment

Shave it off!

If you're testing: Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off. Don’t wear cell phones, pagers or any other electronic leases.

When my son was trying to become a firefighter I begged him to shave off his mustache. He said Dad this took me 26-years to grow and I'm not going to shave it off. He got hired. He got married and his wife made him shave it off. Go figure.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                  http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

On my department you cannot have any facial hair below your upper lip and no more then a days growth. If you show up to work "scruffy" the deputy will make you shave asap.

Comment

I wonder if it would matter if the air was continuously feeding the mask making it a positive air lock. Kind of like the air pushing out of any unsealed areas preventing anything from entering... then again if that were the case you would be losing precious air. Anyone know of any ba's like that?

Comment

Originally posted by wnfs0915 View Post
                        I wonder if it would matter if the air was continuously feeding the mask making it a positive air lock. Kind of like the air pushing out of any unsealed areas preventing anything from entering... then again if that were the case you would be losing precious air. Anyone know of any ba's like that?
                        First this thread was nearly 12 years old, so... But to answer your question the only SCBA's that I know that continually feed air the mask to ensure nothing is drawn in are all of the ones allowed for use in the U.S. Seriously, all BA's are now required to be "positive pressure", but as you allude to, losing air via facial hair is not good and is likely why facial hair will never be allowed in the seal area. Of course that's unless you have some sort of religious waiver in which case it's OK to put yourself and your crew at greater risk by not being able to work as long.

Comment

Depending on local rules and protocols facial hair policies very from none in between the seal and the skin to full blown beards.

Wisconsin Administrative Code SPS330, Chapter 12, paragraph 2, sentence d, is quite clear stating that no hair shall come between the skin and the face piece seal. Not you can have what you want if under perfect conditions you can get a seal. CLEARLY no beards, no goatees, no long mustaches, no "Elvis" sideburns, are allowed with SCBA. Yet we still see many departments violating that rule. Why? Perhaps ignorance of the rule, perhaps good old boy they'll quit if we make them shave, perhaps a failure to understand the liability that the chief and the department take on...I don't know.

Follow the rules, it really is that simple.
                          Crazy, but that's how it goes
                          Millions of people living as foes
                          Maybe it's not too late
                          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader