No announcement yet.

What type of Ladder truck do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tlliers, Pasadena has two really nice looking Seagrave 100ft TDA's that are identical they are great trucks

Comment

Tillers and Tiller-Quints are SWEET! Have the best of both worlds!

East Coasters love the mid-ship scopes and us here on the West want our tillers.

------------------

Comment

Tillers are the best TRUCKS.

Bakers are the best TOWERS.

Comment

I like the 1982 Mack CF/ LTI 106 foot rear mount ladder we have. It was a NY city piece and from what we were told there was only one other built for NY city and its in NJ now. We bought it used in 95 and had it refurbished. We almost got a Seagrave until they saw this one. It made the Seagrave look like a tonka truck there was no comparison.
          We have a pre piped waterway to the top of the bed section but, if needed we have a ladder pipe to for the tip. For those occasions when you have to go to a defensive mode. It might not be the newest or the best but it has preformed well for us.

Comment

Quints, It gives you both (Engine and Ladder) in one Truck

------------------
            ...James
            [email protected]

Comment

Well, our company has an 88' Pierce 105' stick (pump included) w/ a pre-piped water way. Its alright, but i'm gonna deffinatly have to go with a mid 70's baker aerialscope on a mack. It doesn't get any better than that, those things are tanks!! The company my dad was with had a 76' (w/ a pumper to match!), and they put that thing in courtyards and other places that only one other ladder in the county could get. Hey, what a coincidence, that was a 'scope too!!! Stay cool.

------------------
              Matt
              Newtown Fire Association
              Station 45

Comment

I would say as long as the thing runs well and works well, its a good truck. However, I have worked with two towers ('94 Sutphen & '89 E-One) and one stick ('68 Pirsch- Piece o' $hit).

I like the tower for the platforms and available elevated stream capability, the stick... Well, I can't say this about ALL of them, but ours just plain blows. The damn thing has a gasoline motor, and screw jacks. We are expecting the arrival of a new 75' quint from E-one. (To take the place of that ol' heep.)

------------------
                AAD
                Eng. Co. 9
                RFD

"In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

Comment

Hell, I wish we had something to brag about! I wouldn't care if it was a 30 year old unit, be that always leaves something to work toward

Begin with the end in mind!
                  Be safe!

Comment

Personally, I DO belong to a paid department, and I believe that there is a lot to be said for having options available within your department. There is a lot to be said for uniformity, and our engines try to achieve this. But we have had in the last twenty to thirty years a bit of variety as far as type of rigs, and each was good in it's area.

We have a tillered stick ('78 ALF), and would like to replace it with another, but with modern amenities such as a pre-piped water way. You cannot beat tillered rigs for what you need a ladder co for 99% of the time: Crews and tools. Lots of compartment space.

Most of our aerials are rear mount sticks (Quints): a 110' and three 75' (the shorter ones operate as cross bred engine/ladder companies). These are good for quick set up elevated streams, but the whole pump/water thing can make things confusing. Things work fine as long as you KNOW if you're an engine or a ladder company on that particular incident.

The best aerial we have to work off of is by far our 85' LTI tower/ladder. It too is aging (1978) but have been finding it difficult to overcome WA state's road weight restrictions.

We had a snorkel, and it was great for a quick set up stream, but was not as good for most operations as it didn't have a way to get into the bucket with out brining it down. Our downtown streets are fairly wide so we didn't have the problem with the knuckle running out of room. We wanted to replace it with a T/L, but weight issues forced us to buy the 110' stick (which has been a good rig for us.)

And for the record, we ran city service ladder trucks (two of our then seven ladder companies) until the mid seventies and never seemed to not have enough sticks.

Comment

FORD45 your old man must have been at Perkasie Co. 26.

Comment

We are running a 1996 75' Quint on a Pierce Quantum and inthe process of ordering a new aerial. Depending on budget we'll see what it ends up being.

Comment

Tillerman14:
                          You're close. That was the "only other ladder in the county" I was talkin about. He was actually chief at Sta. 14 outta Bristol Twp. in the mid 80's. That ol' ladder was a war wagon. Peace.

------------------
                          Matt
                          Newtown Fire Association
                          Station 45

Comment

well being a small town vol. fire dept we dont have a ladder truck, but arielscope has a cool website so i will have to go with them

------------------
                            ...fire fetish???......
                            ...damn right!!!!

Comment

Some people really like the platform-type rigs, but we use 4 tillered straight-sticks and they do the job.

Reno, NV FD Truck 3

Reno, NV FD Truck 11

Comment

Personnaly I love the look of tillers. Although I haven't had a chance to work on one it seems that that they have excellent manuverability and the classic look is great. But i'm from the midwest, not many tillers here, but I think I have found an alternative. The department i'm with just recieved a 2001 E-ONE 95 ft. tower. First truck for our department and it is sweet. I guess until I get to ride a tiller it'll have to do.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X