No announcement yet.

What type of Ladder truck do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of Ladder truck do you like?

I was just wondering what type of ladder truck do firefighters prefer.I like a snorkel or articulating platform if you want to get technical. I know it's not a stick but it got the job done.My hometown fire dept. had a 85 foot one which was fun to fly.There is no right or wrong laddertruck so let's hear some opinions.

I'm fond of Tillers. Thats all my FD has ever had. We can get our TDA in places and down streets that others cant get down or into.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Comment

I prefer the Tower Ladder. Very versatile if positioned and used correctly. Below is a photo of the Tower Ladder I am assigned to:

------------------
      Kevin M. Fitzhenry, [email protected]
      Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
      City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
      www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Comment

Tower Ladder is the way to go -- just ask the guys at Station 33 in P.G. County; according to Sonny Sampson, he claims he even seen the Kentland Tower at a fire in
        Syracuse! Tower is the best because you can spray water from a safe distance away from the fire. Real effective at filling the vent holes that the truckies have so diligently cut for ventilation...

To answer the question seriously -- the best truck is a 15/16" solid bore nozzle...

Comment

Knobhog,

When I talk about the tower ladder, I am talking about using it in an offensive manner such as using it as a stable platform to VES(vent, enter and search), evacuate/rescue victims or personnel, vent windows and/or roofs(peaked/truss). It is great for carrying the roof team to the roof. The benefits can go on if, like I said it is positioned and used correctly, not in the manner you joked about. Oh, it can also be used as a 1500 gpm "handline" in a commercial occupancy that the brothers having trouble making.

Be safe.

------------------
          Kevin M. Fitzhenry, [email protected]
          Firefighter, Truck Co. 2
          City of Bayonne (NJ) FD
          www.bayonnenj.org/fire/

Comment

Yes,

I like that, you are a sharp guy there knobhog354.. a 15/16" tip solid bore nozzle is the best truck...

I like tower ladders. I am very fond of old "sally" Tower 33 (Kentland). The tower ladder revolutionized firefighting in the US. It is the most versatile.

Just a note about a tiller.. I love tillers too, but they are not practical for 99% of the vollies in the US since you need to wait for 2 DRIVERS. or you can lock the steering wheel, but who does that??

Tillers are awesome and in my department we needed it to get around most of the area, now we have a gigantic "appendage" mounted on a rear mount that is nearly as long as a TDA. It spends most of the time down the block from the fire or driving miles out of the way to get to the fire so it has an excuse as to why it wasnt placed in service.....

Comment

I'll tell you one I don't like...The Bronto from E One. It is a very tempermental truck and it has to be perfect to set up and opperate. Nothing about our job is perfect and the conditions..I don't need to tell you that! We had good service from the Supthen Towers and wish we had them back

Comment

Not to bust 18-3, but u wanna mention how old that tiller is. I climbed that thing at Deptfords Fire Prevention i thought i was on the sea dragon at Clementon Park.

Comment

FitzBFDt2
                  Thanks for the nice picture of your tower ladder and to all else that contributed, it's nice to have everybody talking about their favorite truck.

Comment

I'm a big fan of ladder-towers. We just got one to replace our old 85' stick, and it's really improved what we do. I like the versatility of having an aerial ladder AND a bucket on the end.

Comment

E One Hurricane rearmount 105' Tower.

------------------
                      **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

Comment

Ok Truckie it doesn't bother me at all to tell how old 34 is. For everyone that doesn't know 1834 is a 1975 Mack CF. That we bought form Allentown, Pa. and completely overhauled. I'll try to get a pic posted by the end of the day.

------------------
                        The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
                        Oaklyn Fire Dept.
                        Station 18-3

Comment

I prefer the working conditions from tower, but my current truck is a stick so a climbing I will go come the next run....

Stay safe out there....

Comment

Just a comment on why certain depts/personnel like particular kinds of trucks.

Snorkel/articulated: advantage: good reach from a stable platform, pre-piped master streams. disadvantage: on a narrow street or in an apartment complex, you have to go UP before you can turn, because the "elbow" sticks as far out the back as the bucket does out the front! Totally impractical in some neighborhoods.

Tower Ladder: Advantage: stable, work from the basket w/o having to "hang off", also typically pre-piped. Disadvantage: better have some wide streets, no tight corners. They're long and can be hard to turn.

Sticks: Advantage: more maneuverable in tight places. Disadvantage: typically (although not always) not pre-piped. More suited for rescue, less for elevated streams. Can be as long and hard to turn as T/L, but not necessarily.

Tillers: It's just a stick (or maybe a T/L), but because it bends in the middle, it can turn a tighter corner - BUT - only if the tiller steer driver is a good (or better) than the chauffer! Cool for fully staffed (who, what?) depts, but the learning curve is a little high for most vol. depts.

I knew of a dept that was very proud of their new snorkel (back in the '70s). Until they got a worker at one particular apt. complex. They bought it specifically for this site, 4 story identical buildings, about 400 units. They got it "stuck" trying to raise it, because the buildings were so close together (narrow driveways - not even streets) that they punched a hole in the facade of a building across the drive from the fire building.

On the other hand, I saw another dept repeatedly get their T/L quint stuck trying to take it down farm roads, and going axle deep in the mud.

Just depends on your response area, manning, and needs.

Comment

I would prefer anything newer than our 1979 front line Suphen.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X