Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you call yourself a Fireman or Firefigter???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely a FIREFIGHTER!

To me, a fireman is just some one, male or female, that belongs to the fire dept. that just pust the wet stuff on the red stuff. A firefighter is someone, male or female again, that has put in the time a training to understand all they can about fire and different ways to FIGHT it, whether through suppression tactics or by prevention all together.

------------------
    *****The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my department********

Comment

I use both interchangeably. Official rank is Firefighter and when in the public introduce myself as Firefighter Grudzinski. But most of the public still refers to us as Firemen.

------------------
      The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
      Oaklyn Fire Dept.
      Station 18-3

Comment

I like the term FIREMAN...Since women are not men they should be called FIREFIGHTERS. If a woman wants to be called a FIREMAN, so be it. If a man wants to be called a FIREFIGHTER then so be it. If your feelings get hurt because of a title, GROW UP! As far as the Dictionary Wars are concerned, I have looked up the word FIREMAN, and FIREFIGHTER in 7 different dictionarys. In all, the number 1 definition refers to each other, and putting out fires. The number 2 definition for FIREMAN is one who works on a boiler. It's pretty safe to assume that in forums that talk about the fire service, when people talk about FIREMEN, they are talking about the number 1 definition. If your dictionary says the number 1 definition is someone who works on a boiler, then you will probably have a tough time figuring out what everyone else is talking about...

Be Safe!

Comment

We are refered to as Firefighters,But little kids tend to call us Firemen

Got Electricity?

Comment

I usually go by Chaplain!

Comment

I use the term firefighter, though someone in my dept. in a misguided attempt at being PC used the term Fire Person. I think those are the mythical beings made of fire.

Comment

I use FF, but most of the public I have met and deal with still call us "firemen", including my mother, who loves to brag about me to her friends! Old habits die hard even in these times of PC.

------------------
                Donald M. Street
                Volunteer Captain
                Maryland City VFD
                Anne Arundel Co. 27
                Laurel, MD

Comment

Firefighter is what were called here.

isnt there a song called: I'm a Fireman that's my name???

------------------
                  D. Hager
                  FF/NREMT-I
                  West Trail Amb. Svc
                  Mayville FD

REAL HEROES WEAR SCBA'S NOT CAPES

We will eat smoke and pull out bodies as long as they continue to build them. Just once I would like them to ask one of us how to build it!!

Comment

For eighteen years I have been proud to be called a firefighter...The reason, I am lucky and honored to be paid to save lives and protect property...Not,as one mentioned, to stoke a boiler or start book fires to keep the masses in check....As to PC...This has never entered my mind and I really don't care what someone wants to be called,it's how they do their tasks on the job. Stay safe and keep the faith. :rant: jack

Comment

HOSEMAN, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Comment

Firefighter! "firemen" work for the railroad in a locomotive.

Comment

I have heard the term "fire person,fire woman"...give me a break! I am a fire fighter and will be a fire fighter until I hang my boots up. We all wear the same uniform, it shouldn't make a difference.

These views are mine alone and may not reflect the views of the department I work for.

Comment

I am not PC, and I always was around FDNY firehouses when I was growing up. I say FIREMAN, unless I am kicking it to one of the female fire fighters. According to Microsoft Word, Firefighter is 2 words, FIREMAN is recognized, firefighter is not. If Microsoft says fireman, I am a fireman. there are also firechicks. My friends call us fire dudes and the people in the ghetto call us FIREMANZ.. "Hey firemanz"

No matter what we call ourselves, we are all brothers and sisters.

Be safe

Primo Vincenzo

Comment

Until this was posted I don't think i've ever noticed what I say in conversation, I use both Firefighter and Fireman without any care for PC or Whom I may be talking to, the fact of the matter is, people know what you mean by both and all of the Politicly Correct people in the world need to find a tree to hug and leave us normal folk the heck alone!!! Where do you keep your trucks? a fire house or a fire station? sounds like a silly question doesn't it? The bottom line is who cares? Not this fireman.

Comment

Call me what you want, as long as it's not late for tea. I'm being paid to be a Firefighter by my employer and my contract states that.

Ian, the answer to Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper will ignite.

------------------
                                Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
                                www.crowthorneinfo.co.uk

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader