No announcement yet.

Got a Pierce????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have terribly small cabs on our units. Check www.clintonvfd.com for a look see. We are looking into a new pumper and I believe the Arrow XT is going to get a hard look. I think our Dash is too top heavy and the tires remind me of an ARFF truck! Our Lance (1986) rides low, but the OIC seat is tiny and the crew space only sits backwards.

I hope the Arrow XT is as good as people say it is...because our Department won't veer away from Pierce.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Comment

My station just got a 2004 Pierce Arrow XT 105' straight stick last month. So far it has been absolutely fantastic and all the crews love it. We'll see how well it holds up after we beat on it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TillerMan25
        We have terribly small cabs on our units. Check www.clintonvfd.com for a look see. We are looking into a new pumper and I believe the Arrow XT is going to get a hard look. I think our Dash is too top heavy and the tires remind me of an ARFF truck! Our Lance (1986) rides low, but the OIC seat is tiny and the crew space only sits backwards.

I hope the Arrow XT is as good as people say it is...because our Department won't veer away from Pierce.
        I don't argue with you with respect to the space in the officer's seat, and that's a common problem with a lot of rigs nowdays. I will also say that the Dash cabs without the raised roof in the crew area (like yours) can be a bit tight vertically...I know what you mean in that respect.

On to more pressing issues...do I see that correctly?? Is "Water Supply 25" an open-cab Kenworth?? That's just the cat's nuts. I want one of those!

Comment

Yes, that is a 1976 Open-Cab Kenworth with a Pierce Body. As of right now, it is in service as strictly a Water Supply Pumper. It has a Detroit Diesel and a 2000GPM Pump. Occasionally, if our Second Wagon is Out of Service and we have a qualified driver, we will run that as the Second Wagon. We can't ride the tailboard on it because of the Safety Bunnies. It carries 2000' of 5" LDH. Soon it will be in Reserve Status when we purchase a new pumper, at which time the 1986 Lance will become WS25.

Comment

GET THE TAC-4 FRONT SUSPENSION!!!

I swear, our new heavy rescue is the biggest truck in our fleet and it turns circles around our pickup truck.
            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire
              GET THE TAC-4 FRONT SUSPENSION!!!

I swear, our new heavy rescue is the biggest truck in our fleet and it turns circles around our pickup truck.
              We have it on our Enforcer pumper. NICE RIDE! and the thing stops on a dime

As for cab room, I dont see a problem with the new rigs. The older ones, like our 93' Lance has absolutly no room for the officer. But the new one arent bad at all.

Here is a photo of the officers seat on our 02' Dash quint. Our Enforcer pumper is the same.
              Attached Files
              Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
              RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
              Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

And the rear cab...
                Attached Files

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Comment

Rear #2
                  Attached Files

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Comment

Our's is an enforcer as well. For a second, I thought you were showing pictures of our truck
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Us Too...................

Originally posted by nmfire
                      Our's is an enforcer as well. For a second, I thought you were showing pictures of our truck
                      Uhh... Yeah, I know the feeling. We just placed our new Enforcer Pumper in service last Saturday. We also have the TAC4 Suspention, and it rides like my wife's Lincoln. Smoooooooooth. Anyone want to look at it - www.gdvfd18.com AND - Tillerman25: You know, if SOMEBODY dropped a few pounds, they would fit in those "tight" seats...
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I love Pierce, we don't have one but a few of us want one.

Whatever you do....DON'T BUY A DARLEY!!!

Darley will cobble anything together, poor workmanship, poor quality of materials, under skilled work staff, and **** poor service.

It's hard for us with Darley only 12 miles away and a former Assistant Chief who worked for Darley for many many years to change thinking around my department. We are finally making headway. Our maintenance budget is way out of control with our Darley trucks and we are sick and tired of having to take a truck there 2-3 times to get the same problem fixed. Their service dept. leaves something to be desired.

Go with Pierce!!! Take the tour of the plant. I know several people that work there and they actually test a truck before they sell it.

Any new truck will have some quirks and problems because each are custom made and are all different. Expect some mishaps. But you will expect less with Pierce. They are the cadillac of fire trucks.
                        Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Harve

195 Pounds and holding steady since age 19!...LOL

Seriously, most people will agree that the pre-1992 Lance Cab has little room for the officer. I say go with the Old Reliable Seagrave "J" Cab.....

Comment

1997 Dash

top mount
                            1250 GPM
                            1000 tank
                            365/1350 3176
                            6 man cab
                            hydraulic ladder rack

2001 Pierce/FL 70 heavy rescue

Command Cab
                            6000W Night Scan
                            4 bottle cascade
                            Hurst combo tool, cutter, and rams
                            air bags
                            Stihl chainsaw and K12
                            SCBAs in compartments
                            various hand tools, absorbents, ropes, and EMS supplies
                            FTM - PTB

Comment

Just got our first one.

www.birdsborofd.org
                              Steve Dragon
                              FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
                              Volunteers are never "off duty".
                              http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

My department runs all pierce, with the exception of two front line engines and our reserves. Five are 99 Quantams 6 man cabs flat roofs. Lots of room for everybody only problems (beyond our shop) is the flip down step covers get loose after a while and make sure you look before you step out, the steps have a nasty habit of not coming down, its a long way to the ground. Also they are top heavy the cab sits higher than the Dash's that we run. Lots of problems with the Dashes. No room for anybody in the cab at all. A couple are real piles. They stay in the shop more than they stay in service. Three of our aerials are all-steer. Our latest aerial was one of the last all-steers produced (rumor only, not fact). All steer is great when it works but it doesnt beat a tiller. Overall they are all right, you get what you pay for and what you spec. Best of luck with your new apparatus.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X