X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAPPYY
    replied
    JEAN,
    My advice is to keep it as light as possible. I carry a combo tool I purchased that does everything and folds open with gloved hands easily. I also carry wirecutters, handlight, wedges, and a portable radio. If I need anything else carried, well, thats what probies are for.

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by stillPSFB
    I've just switched out the wire-cutters for a pair of 8inch boltcutters that cut fairly thin wire as well - these are good for steel wire up to 1/8th of an inch+

The rest of the guys in my station are s******ing, as they usually carry nothing but a pair of medical gloves in their pockets, while I'm fully loaded with wedges, rope, carabiners, spare flashlight, my cutters, a couple of pieces of 7' tubular webbing with handle loops and heaps of other stuff.
    On three different fires this year I cut myself free on hanging ceiling wire or romex. Let them laugh. It will become a grin when you have to cut them out.
    NEVER let others deter you from doing what you know is right.

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Those are some pretty good ideas....never thought about it before. I'll bet a few people who check out this thread are making a mental note to pick some up

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by dmleblanc

This is a new one on me. You're talking about the cam-lock style tie-down straps? What can you use them for? (I mean, I guess I could think of some uses, but obviously you've found them a valuable tool...what for?)

I'll list a few...

MVAs where the door needs to be held open for the EMT's to board a Pt. Attach it to the fender and the door frame and pull. It will stay where you stop.

Rated at 1500lbs I used it to stablize a utility pole that was damaged.

Make a dandy ajustable hose rope tool, or ladder strap.

I used it to wench a fence of of a vehicle once. The other choice was to take time a cut the fence away from the vehicle.

Resecured a saddle tank on a tractor for a trip to the wrecking yard. I did not get that one back.

I think you get the idea. High tech baling wire.

Leave a comment:

• dmleblanc
    replied
    Originally posted by Acklan
    Hi ya'll. I'm a Captain with the Baton Rouge Fire Dept. I work Engine 6. Been there over 5 years. I have 25 years of service.

I carry:

2 6' pull (not ratchet) straps

This is a new one on me. You're talking about the cam-lock style tie-down straps? What can you use them for? (I mean, I guess I could think of some uses, but obviously you've found them a valuable tool...what for?)

I used to carry more stuff when I actually got to fight fire once in a while . Nowadays I'm pretty well prepared if I just have my radio because I'm an outstanding fire chief (you know, the kind who's "out standing" in front of the house with a radio in his hand).

I used to carry the following (still carry some of it)...

Fire gloves
    Nomex hood
    Pelican 3C "Saberlight" (have also used the Pelican "Stealth...like 'em both)
    Garrity life light
    Seat belt cutter
    Folding knife
    Medical gloves in a pouch strapped to my turnout suspenders
    Radio
    15' tubular webbing (tied in a big loop)
    TFT folding "Res-Q-Rench"
    TFT "Res-Q-Me" window punch (hanging from the ring on the back of my helmet)

That's about all that I carry intentionally. I have also found in my pockets at various times:

Used medical gloves
    4X4 wrappers
    Surgical tape
    Ink pens
    A small rubber ball
    An infrared thermometer that was missing from the engine for a few weeks

I have always encouraged my guys to carry at least some of these things in their gear....in particular a personal flashlight (or two)and a length of webbing, which has many uses on the fireground. And a radio. If there's one bad habit we need to break in my department it's forgetting to slip your radio in your pocket when you arrive on scene (and not due to shortage of radios....probably 3/4 of our personnel have a radio issued to them)....

Leave a comment:

• PattyV
    replied
    well im sure they will stop laughing when the time comes that they need those tools in a real hurry. My only problem with carrying too many little gadgets is that it makes a heavy suit even heavier.

Leave a comment:

• stillPSFB
    replied
    I've just switched out the wire-cutters for a pair of 8inch boltcutters that cut fairly thin wire as well - these are good for steel wire up to 1/8th of an inch+

The rest of the guys in my station are s******ing, as they usually carry nothing but a pair of medical gloves in their pockets, while I'm fully loaded with wedges, rope, carabiners, spare flashlight, my cutters, a couple of pieces of 7' tubular webbing with handle loops and heaps of other stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Geff2575
    replied
    pocket stuff

Let's see...
    approx.30'prusik cord with beaner tied on and clipped to pants pocket to deploy.
    large pair 5 in 1 fence pliers.
    leather gloves
    nitrile gloves
    spiderco 1/2 serated 1/2 smooth blade on a beaner
    20" web sling
    golf tees
    roll of sports tape
    large black sharpie
    pen light
    lint
    all I can remember.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Fire Gloves
    Leather Gloves for Extracation/Rope work
    2-3 pairs EMS Gloves
    Garrity Flashlight
    Utility Knife
    Wire Snips
    EMS Shears
    25' Webbing
    Safety Glasses
    2-3 Door Wedges

I don't carry bailout rope as the vast majority of our structures are single-level.

Leave a comment:

• PattyV
    replied
    I find its pretty hard to keep Chiefs in my pocket. They are best kept away from combusting things too.

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Yo...

If you read Page 1 of this thread, there are people jumping
    on a guy for advertising a product and I even see myself in
    the mix.

Looks like someone did some quick editing...

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Which one??

Leave a comment:

• CALFFBOU
    replied
    Double take

There is something sneaky about this thread. Some people
    or one person edited some initial postings....Hmmmmm.....

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Hi ya'll. I'm a Captain with the Baton Rouge Fire Dept. I work Engine 6. Been there over 5 years. I have 25 years of service.

I carry:

1 4" folding knife on a landyard (Hanging in the radio pocket)
    2 6' pull (not ratchet) straps
    1pr Fire gloves
    1pr leather work gloves
    5 door wedges
    1 Big ED C cell flashlight (not rechargable) & 16" attached landyard
    1 50' 7mm dynamic repelling rope & 2 caribiners
    1 15' of 12mm rope as an emergancy harness
    1 10" slip joint pliers
    1 10" ViseGrip (cheap pair)
    1 8" adjustable wrench
    1 6in1 Craftsman screw driver
    1 10" wire cutters
    1 Bib type Nomex hood
    1 Scott SCBA mask
    1 portable radio with ext. mic
    2 insert gas shut offs (1/2, 3/4)

Plus I carry a TNT (Denver) 5in1 tool as my personal firefighting tool. I use everything I care on a regular basis. I carry a seperate fanny pack for 1st aid . Gloves, eye protection, alcohol gel, 4x4, 5x7 trauma, Kling....

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    Here is the Thread from the JR/Exp forum.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=46996

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X