No announcement yet.

What tools in your pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that savajake thing looks big and bulky. I don't want to carry more then I have to. It probaly works fine but lets stop talking about it!

Comment

Wire cutters
      Gerber Tool
      Pocket Knife
      Phillips Screwdriver
      Slotted Screwdriver
      12" webbing with 2 biners
      fire gloves
      xtrication gloves
      nitrile gloves
      patient assesment sheets
      hood
      flashlight
      seat belt cutter

.....and I I'm missing stuff but I don't really feel like going down stairs to look through my gear.
      ------------------------------------
      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Here is the Thread from the JR/Exp forum.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=46996
        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Hi ya'll. I'm a Captain with the Baton Rouge Fire Dept. I work Engine 6. Been there over 5 years. I have 25 years of service.

I carry:

1 4" folding knife on a landyard (Hanging in the radio pocket)
          2 6' pull (not ratchet) straps
          1pr Fire gloves
          1pr leather work gloves
          5 door wedges
          1 Big ED C cell flashlight (not rechargable) & 16" attached landyard
          1 50' 7mm dynamic repelling rope & 2 caribiners
          1 15' of 12mm rope as an emergancy harness
          1 10" slip joint pliers
          1 10" ViseGrip (cheap pair)
          1 8" adjustable wrench
          1 6in1 Craftsman screw driver
          1 10" wire cutters
          1 Bib type Nomex hood
          1 Scott SCBA mask
          1 portable radio with ext. mic
          2 insert gas shut offs (1/2, 3/4)

Plus I carry a TNT (Denver) 5in1 tool as my personal firefighting tool. I use everything I care on a regular basis. I carry a seperate fanny pack for 1st aid . Gloves, eye protection, alcohol gel, 4x4, 5x7 trauma, Kling....

Comment

Double take

There is something sneaky about this thread. Some people
            or one person edited some initial postings....Hmmmmm.....

Comment

Which one??

Comment

Yo...

If you read Page 1 of this thread, there are people jumping
                on a guy for advertising a product and I even see myself in
                the mix.

Looks like someone did some quick editing...

Comment

I find its pretty hard to keep Chiefs in my pocket. They are best kept away from combusting things too.
                  "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

Fire Gloves
                    Leather Gloves for Extracation/Rope work
                    2-3 pairs EMS Gloves
                    Garrity Flashlight
                    Utility Knife
                    Wire Snips
                    EMS Shears
                    25' Webbing
                    Safety Glasses
                    2-3 Door Wedges

I don't carry bailout rope as the vast majority of our structures are single-level.
                    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

pocket stuff

Let's see...
                      approx.30'prusik cord with beaner tied on and clipped to pants pocket to deploy.
                      large pair 5 in 1 fence pliers.
                      leather gloves
                      nitrile gloves
                      spiderco 1/2 serated 1/2 smooth blade on a beaner
                      20" web sling
                      golf tees
                      roll of sports tape
                      large black sharpie
                      pen light
                      lint
                      all I can remember.

Comment

I've just switched out the wire-cutters for a pair of 8inch boltcutters that cut fairly thin wire as well - these are good for steel wire up to 1/8th of an inch+

The rest of the guys in my station are s******ing, as they usually carry nothing but a pair of medical gloves in their pockets, while I'm fully loaded with wedges, rope, carabiners, spare flashlight, my cutters, a couple of pieces of 7' tubular webbing with handle loops and heaps of other stuff.
                        Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Comment

well im sure they will stop laughing when the time comes that they need those tools in a real hurry. My only problem with carrying too many little gadgets is that it makes a heavy suit even heavier.
                          "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Acklan
                            Hi ya'll. I'm a Captain with the Baton Rouge Fire Dept. I work Engine 6. Been there over 5 years. I have 25 years of service.

I carry:

2 6' pull (not ratchet) straps

This is a new one on me. You're talking about the cam-lock style tie-down straps? What can you use them for? (I mean, I guess I could think of some uses, but obviously you've found them a valuable tool...what for?)

I used to carry more stuff when I actually got to fight fire once in a while . Nowadays I'm pretty well prepared if I just have my radio because I'm an outstanding fire chief (you know, the kind who's "out standing" in front of the house with a radio in his hand).

I used to carry the following (still carry some of it)...

Fire gloves
                            Nomex hood
                            Pelican 3C "Saberlight" (have also used the Pelican "Stealth...like 'em both)
                            Garrity life light
                            Seat belt cutter
                            Folding knife
                            Medical gloves in a pouch strapped to my turnout suspenders
                            Radio
                            15' tubular webbing (tied in a big loop)
                            TFT folding "Res-Q-Rench"
                            TFT "Res-Q-Me" window punch (hanging from the ring on the back of my helmet)

That's about all that I carry intentionally. I have also found in my pockets at various times:

Used medical gloves
                            4X4 wrappers
                            Surgical tape
                            Ink pens
                            A small rubber ball
                            An infrared thermometer that was missing from the engine for a few weeks

I have always encouraged my guys to carry at least some of these things in their gear....in particular a personal flashlight (or two)and a length of webbing, which has many uses on the fireground. And a radio. If there's one bad habit we need to break in my department it's forgetting to slip your radio in your pocket when you arrive on scene (and not due to shortage of radios....probably 3/4 of our personnel have a radio issued to them)....
                            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                            Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                            Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                            — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc

This is a new one on me. You're talking about the cam-lock style tie-down straps? What can you use them for? (I mean, I guess I could think of some uses, but obviously you've found them a valuable tool...what for?)

I'll list a few...

MVAs where the door needs to be held open for the EMT's to board a Pt. Attach it to the fender and the door frame and pull. It will stay where you stop.

Rated at 1500lbs I used it to stablize a utility pole that was damaged.

Make a dandy ajustable hose rope tool, or ladder strap.

I used it to wench a fence of of a vehicle once. The other choice was to take time a cut the fence away from the vehicle.

Resecured a saddle tank on a tractor for a trip to the wrecking yard. I did not get that one back.

I think you get the idea. High tech baling wire.

Comment

Those are some pretty good ideas....never thought about it before. I'll bet a few people who check out this thread are making a mental note to pick some up
                                Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                                Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                                Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                                — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X