Fogging Face-piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogging Face-piece

Anybody got any solutions for fogging up face pieces? Would "rain-x" anit-fog or a similar product be useful? I just seem lately to be having this occur frequently. Warm truck bay to cool outdoors with high humidty may be a contributing factor also.

A very small amount of baby shampoo has worked for me in the past. I stress, very small amount. Too much and you won't see a thing.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

Does your mask have a "nose cone" inside? I used some Survieair with them and they seem to clear up as soon as you go on air. Never had that fog problem with my own Scott-O-Vista. Not sure if it is cause there is no nose cone or something else.
      I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Hold your breath...No kidding. I find that slow beathing keeps mine to a minimum, and like STM said as soon as I go on air it clears right up. Also you may ant to contact the manufacture...we were instructed NOT EVER to use and anti-fog agent on our masks(Cairns).
        AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Rain-ex is a solvent based product and will ruin the carbon-plastic facepiece lens, creating a permanent fog.

The nose-cone reduces the problem, also opening the purge valve a crack will clear up the lens until the temperature levels out. I wouldn't suggest any application of an anti-fog agent in the mask.

Comment

There is a product that can be purchased at your local dive shop called "Frog Snot" Its safe for dive masks so I imagine it would be safe for the facepiece.
            I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Comment

If you are going to go they way of using diveer stuff to keep your maks defoged just spit in it. It does the same job on a dive mask and saves you some extra cash for the important stuff. (the after dive beer)
              After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Comment

I can count on my one hand the number of times that spiting in my dive mask has actually worked and that is with over 15 years of diving and instructing. Spend the coin save your spit for something else.

Comment

There is a product that can be purchased at your local dive shop called "Frog Snot" Its safe for dive masks so I imagine it would be safe for the facepiece
                  I believe that dive mask lenses are primarily glass. I would not advise useing it on an SCBA mask. Scott specifically forbids the use of ANY type of anti-fog coating. Scott masks are coated at the factory.

Think about this; the fog will go away when you go on air, you can speed this up by useing your purge. Anything not tested and approved as safe to use on your mask should be considered unsafe. The mask, pack and bunker gear are what allow us to go into places we were not meant to be in, and keep us alive while there. Please don't take chances and compromise that safety margin.
                  Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

Comment

Um, no dive masks are not primarily glass.

Comment

Heres the solution for your question.

W.S Darley sells "anti-fogging" solutions made specifically for all types of SCBA facepeices.These can be obtained via towellettes or spray containers(like windex bottles) or by the gallon containers.We have all 3 types and i must say that they do work very well...even in cold temperatures.
                      Sports shops should also have "lense anti-fogging" stuff too.

Donna C
                      Fire Chief
                      Bridge Canyon VFD
                      http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

Comment

While on the subject, cleaners???

I'm going to Scott site next and see what thay recommend, or don't recommend... but lense cleaner like for regular glasses, some have antifog in them, anyoned tried them?
                        (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
                        BE SAFE OUT THERE
                        NEVER FORGET
                        GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
                        IACOJ
                        F.O.O.P.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman
                          A very small amount of baby shampoo has worked for me in the past. I stress, very small amount. Too much and you won't see a thing.
                          This should work for all manufactures, one of the big manufactures even sells it in a small tube. I'm pretty suprised that their own tech is saying not to use it.

Comment

There is always the old school rule: inhale through your mouth, and exhale through your nose. But, that always seems to turn to crud when your arms and legs have turned to jelly, and your still in the thick of it, huffing and puffing.

My scott mask has the nose cup, and I never have a problem with fogging. I also wait until right at the door to put it on. If I were to put it on sooner I'm sure it would fog up too.
                            http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
                            Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Comment

Try some liquid soap. Just rub the soap directly on it (don't mix it with water), let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off with a clean DRY towel. Try it on your bathroom mirror, then run the shower hot and you will see........... Some also say foam shaving cream will do the same thing......
                              The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                              We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                              IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X