FEMA Fire Prevention Grants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEMA Fire Prevention Grants

FEMA has announced that $27.5 million will be awarded in grants for fire prevention activities.

Everybody talks about getting grants for toys. How many of you plan to apply for these grants to actually try to reduce the number of fires you go to, instead of buying equipment to fight them?

Activities that will be funded are very broad. They are limited solely by the imagination of the applicant, as long as they are within federal guidelines.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Why is FEMA going to give out money for fire prevention when that is/was a category under the FIRE grants? More a question than sarcasm.
    We applied for a fire prevention grant one year for smoke detectors and address numbers for everyone in our first due area, we were turned down.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Examples from prior years??

Who out there received a fire prevention grant in 01 or 02? What innovative projects. I'm looking for outside the box successes.

We're thinking a pilot project to introduce residential sprinklers to our area thru actual residental installations (not just a portable PR trailer or similar) and installation of monitored fire alarms (such service not available in our area).

Comment

Re: Examples from prior years??

Originally posted by neiowa
        Who out there received a fire prevention grant in 01 or 02? What innovative projects. I'm looking for outside the box successes.

We're thinking a pilot project to introduce residential sprinklers to our area thru actual residental installations (not just a portable PR trailer or similar) and installation of monitored fire alarms (such service not available in our area).
        If you download the info from the FEMA website, they will give you examples of projects.

Comment

Was there before I posted the question.

I want to know what outside of the box" projects have actually been funded to actually do something. As opposed to just lecture "be safe out there". Past awards seem to be more towards big city applications along the line of "We want an $50k pickup/SUV and trailer to haul some misc stuff to schools to entertain the kids" projects.

Comment

Gee, I just looked at two years worth of fire prevention grant awards and "be safe out there" and a $50,000 stuff hauler weren't on the list. Here are some synopses of some grant awards:

-Support for a fire prevention program that uses characters and puppetry to teach fire safety

-Seed money for a first responder smoke detector giveaway program

-Purchase of a House of Hazards and video system

-Society of Fire Protection Engineers received a grant to develop a Fundamentals of Fire Protection Systems distance learning program for fire prevention personnel

-Development of regional T-T-T workshops that focus on prevention educational methodologies

-Training and support for fire prevention program which utilizes clowns

-Juvenile firesetter prevention programs

-Development of a spanish language, interactive web-based training for burn prevention and residential fire safety

-Commnity outreach effort to promote home evacuation training, smoke detector installation and maintenance.

But as I said, these projects are not sexy. No toys, no sirens, no flames, just basic programs to promote the reduction of fires and fire deaths, particularly among children.

For this section of grants, organizations in addition to FD's are eligible. My county plans on filing for materials and resources to expand our juvenile firesetter prevention program. We are going to look for funding that will allow us to maintain the high level of professionalsim and service that has resulted in about 150 firesetters served in three years with a 0% recidivism rate.

Download your app today and get started. If you are serious about fighting fires and saving lives, fight the fire before it starts and save the lives by default.

Comment

If you are serious about fighting fires and saving lives, fight the fire before it starts and save the lives by default.
              Gotta say that's the best damn phrase I've heard in a long time. No wonder you're my hero George
              IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X