No announcement yet.

Radios - Inside your gear? Or Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the gear keeper link. That is going on our SCBAs to attach flashlights, definatly.

Do you think a gear keeper would work for a palm sized TIC, say a firecam 80 or a bullard T3? That would be very handy to be able to just let the TIC go to use your hands.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Comment

Radio goes in radio pocket and if I have the remote microphone it either hooks on the loop over the radio pocket or on my chest strap. I have also on occassion hooked it on my chin strap.

Call me dumb if you like, but it seems to me that it makes no sense to wear your radio "inside" your gear. What purpose does it serve then?
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Bullard says the "keeper" will work. In fact my Bullard Rep demos his cameras with the "keeper" attached to it.
        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
        BMI Investigator
        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Captstan, I always keep my radio on the inside of my coat, and it serves the same purpose as if it were on the outside.Sure you might say that you can't change the volume or change the channel. True! But as a firefighter (not an officer) I usually only need to listen to one channel, as for the volume; at a working fire the volume of my radio is the least of my worries, all I need to do is be able to hear it, which is fairly easy because I always have a corded mic hooked to my strap right under my chin. Also since the radio/radio strap is tucked away in my coat it is one less thing to get hung up on in a fire situation or any situation for that matter. That is why I prefer to wear it underneath.......

Comment

SamsonFCDES - you can find a FDNY style strap on this site: http://www.radiotech.com/

They aren't the only ones out there that retail FDNY style straps... but when I bumped into them at ICHIEFS - they we're extremely friendly.

captstanm1 -- If you wear the radio on the strap under the coat, then you keep it from snagging on a multitude of things found inside the fire.

I find it not to be too much of a problem to wear a radio under the turnout coat -- once you are interior - you aren't really going to changing channels on it.
            Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
            "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

I keep my radio on the outside of my coat. Left breast radio pocket with the mic/speaker cord going over and behind my neck and the mic attaches to a diaper pin located on my right breast area near my chin.(my daughter's first diaper pin actually). This seems to work for me.

Comment

I wear a NY radio strap. I have it under my coat. I have no probs changing channels or adjusting the volume all you have to do is lift up your coat a lil bit. Although i only usually snap two of the midddle snaps on my coat and then close my velcro flap. It might be harder to do if you snap ever button and snap on your coat, which i never do. For the mike, i just let it dangle out of the top of my coat, it stays out of the way and i can pull it up to my ear if i have to or to my voice mitter because it isnt clipped to anything

Comment

I keep mine in my left chest pocket on my turnout jacket. Just remember to keep you antenna away from, or it will wind up in your nose!!!

My best advice would be to carry your radio with you during drills, so you can see what works best fro you. Trial and error is usually the best teaching resource.

The mic adapters work well to if you have a voice amplifier. It keeps your hands free.

Good luck and keep the antenna out of the nose.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X