Reinventing the Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinventing the Wheel

Here goes the FIREACT Grants if this guy gets in! Notice the price tag-$100 million per year.
    ========================================
    Clark Calling for Civilian Reserve Corps
    2 hours, 32 minutes ago

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Democrat Wesley Clark says if elected president, he would create a corps of civilians who could be called up for service in national emergencies much like the National Guard.

Every American age 18 or older could register for Clark's civilian reserve, listing skills that could aid the country in a disaster. Registration is voluntary and would involve a commitment to serve any time for five years.

In times of national emergency, such as floods, forest fires or terrorist attacks, the president would have the power to call to duty up to 5,000 civilian reservists. Tours would last as long as six months. Congress could authorize more to be mobilized.

Civilian reservists also could be sent overseas for jobs like reconstruction in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Those who are called to duty would receive health care, a stipend, and the right to return to their jobs when their service is completed. Clark spokeswoman Kym Spell said the program would cost about $100 million a year and would be part of the Department of Homeland Security.

In a speech prepared for delivery Tuesday at New York's Hunter College, Clark said the reserves "will reinvigorate America's ethic of service, tap the vast reservoir of skill, generosity, and energy that is the American people, and call millions more Americans to duty."

Clark, a retired four-star Army general, also called for an expansion of the AmeriCorps national service program created by President Clinton.

Clark's speech is the first of four that he will give over a month outlining his campaign agenda. Others will focus on health care, the economy and national security.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

We already have a military reserve. It is the State Guard. The State Guard is a mostly volunteer reserve to the National Guard that is over seen by the AG of each State Military Department. These volunteer Citizen Soldiers drill alongside National Guard forces and provide a force multiplier of trained cadre who can respond when called. Since they are organised and run by the State Military Departments and not the Federal National Guard then they are not subject to activation for federal duty. They can stay and help locally when National Guard troops have been federalised and deployed elsewhere. They will maintain State owned armories and equiptment and assist in disaster relief in place of absent National Guard troops. Approx 28 States have State Guard forces, some more active than others. After the attacks of 9-11, New York State Guard soldiers were ordered to assist the NYNG with crowd control and security. Here in Louisiana active State Guardsmen work full time as drill instructors in the Youth Challange Programs for at risk youth. The Louisiana OEP is overseen by Col Mike Brown of LASG and the Gillis Long National Guard facility in St Gabriel is Commanded by a Col in the LASG.
    Don't confuse the legal State Guards with the rogue militias formed by rambo wantabees. Like members of the Civil Air Patrol and the Coast Guard Auxillary, the soldiers in the State Guards are recognised militia for their State.
    As you pointed out, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Instead we should be expanding and supporting the programs we already have in place.
    For more info on the State Guard you can check out these links:
    The State Guard Association of the United States-
    http://www.sgaus.org/
    The Yahoo Group for State Guards-
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SGUSA/
    The article that probably gave Clark the idea of a new militia, from the Homeland Security Government site-
    http://www.homelandsecurity.org/jour...asp?article=24

Be Safe,

Comment

Ike Was The Last..........

Since General Dwight D. Eisenhour (sp?), there has not been a single career military person whom I'd vote for. Two groups that will never get any support from me, where public office is involved, is the Military, and the Clergy. Stay Safe....
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

hwoods - Please, describe why you wouldn't vote for a career military person for office?
        "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

Comment

Well,.......

Politics and the military are two vastly different worlds. Military Commanders expect, and rightfully so, that people will jump when spoken to, and congress absolutely refuses to jump for anyone. A huge stalemate would happen on the first attempt to get legislation thru, and that would set the tone for the next 4 years. You didn't ask, but my opposition to members of the clergy holding office is from the "separation of church and state" thing. Stay Safe....
          In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

hwoods, while I certainly respect your opinion, I must respectfully disagree.

1. Colin Powell will make an excellent President. He consistently displays a clam, mature demeanor and is quite intelligent. I would vote for him in a heartbeat.

2. The term "seperation of church and state" appears zero times in the Constitution.

3. No group of people, clergy included, is barred from holding public office.

Also, the point of the thread was to point out the lunacy of the idea, not to attack the man. I'll get to that when I have more ammo.
            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

2. The term "seperation of church and state" appears zero times in the Constitution.

3. No group of people, clergy included, is barred from holding public office.
              Two points to make regarding your two points. I'm not a lawyer but I did study the Constitution as part of my reedin', 'ritin', and 'rithmatik' in college.

While the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution (I believe Thomas Jefferson is the person who originated the phrase and concept), the First Amendement clearly states that Congress cannot make any law that interferes with any religion. Furthermore, the 14th Amendment ensures that state and local governments are also prohibited from interference in religious matters.
              Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
              Second point: actually, the Constitution does exclude people from certain political offices:

Article I:
              No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the age of thirty years, and been nine years a citizen of the United States and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen.
              No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age of twenty five years, and been seven years a citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an inhabitant of that state in which he shall be chosen.

Article II:
              No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.
              But I believe you're talking about barring people as a result of their occupation.

Comment

Thanks Guys, .........

George and Neil, Thanks, Good points. Gen. Powell is certainly a gentleman, and has earned a reputation as such by practicing the art of politics in a fair and honest manner (Yes, that's possible). I would respectfully reserve my opinion of whether I would vote for him in order to see who the other candidates are. I have always thought that offices like President and Secretary of Defense should be held by people like Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris, Bruce Willis, et al. Stay Safe....
                In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

hwoods - You live in California? If not, you should!
                  "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X