Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ff7134
    replied
    Can you imagine the arguments..I mean discussions on Smooth-Bore vs. Fog Nozzle, That is likely to get you shot in Iraq. Plus you can't wear cow in Iraq...Its Camel

Leave a comment:

• Adze39
    replied
    Plus Iraq's ISO rating is probably isn't good enough for Larry's standards to live there.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    He wouldn't stay;no quints in Iraq.Plus they wouldn't keep him.T.C.

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bones42
    Iraq.
    HAHAHA I laughed out loud, thanks Bones for the Monday morning chuckle!

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Any ideas for his new place of residence?
    Iraq.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter631
    replied
    Captain Gonzo,

I never did think it was a slam, just wondering what your views were, Texas is a great state, maybe we can get Larry to move? Any ideas for his new place of residence?

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    The Distinguished Mr. Woods

I have been unfortunate enough to have to hoist a few of the new Alcolite Heavier than a [email protected]#$^ ladders. I can't imagine a wooden one. The only ones like that around here are in the Fire Museum. As for the Phenix Helmets I looked at one out at FDIC and decided that my sons toy helmet looked alot more sturdy than that .

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    I was gonna say something about balloon frames Dal.. Ya beat me. Anyway, this thread is kind of silly. Fires dont seem to burn at a different temperature based on geographic location in the U.S.... Smoke dosent discriminate. Fire kills, maims and injures no matter which coast you are on, or anywhere in between. I met a retired Cleveland Captain recently. He told of going on a trip to ICELAND..he actually called information, got a firehouse number and spoke to one of the guys before he traveled there. When he arrived he said it was like he was home... The smell of the firehouse, the guys watching sports on t.v., the FREINDSHIP, LAUGHS and CAMARADERIE...

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian90
    replied
    The older west coast cities are predominately balloon frame wood construction (ie. Victorian Style) which require fast effective vertical ventilation immediatley. The east coast, while having balloon frame as well, has far fewer in most places and has far more brick/plaster/lath construction in which horizontal vent is as or more effective.

Um, ever visited the East?

Bricks might be popular in, say New York City and adjacent metropolitan cities.

Get into Baltimore and you have long row houses, with their own unique needs.

Come on up to New England. Not everywhere is Back Bay -- throughout Boston, Providence, Hartford, Worcester are vast swaths of Three-Deckers and other wood construction Balloon frame houses. My town brick is limited to some of the old (1850s/1860s era) mill housing built pretty much like short rowhouses. The next ring of housing out is all balloon frame, wood, victorian and pseudo-victorian housing complete with steep roofs. Just a typical mill village in New England.

Check out http://webpages.charter.net/escdc/housing.htm -- especially the picture of 89 East Central Street. Those pics are from Worcester, MA. and I could find identical photos from Boston, Providence, Manchester, Hartford (without the hill), or even (gasp) San Francisco or Oakland.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Firefighter631...

This was not a slam on the great state of Texas... just the "smarmy holier than thou" attitude of one individual who "claims to be a Texan".

I have been in the fire service for 22 years and have the pleasure of knowing and meeting firefighters from all over the world.

The game is the same all over..just change the names on the doors of the rigs and the names of the people involved.

The problems:
    For volunteer FD's: a lack of funding and dwindling membership.

For career FD's: a lack of funding and reduced staffing levels.

For both:
    Line of duty deaths

Line of duty injuries due to trying to do more with less personnel

an increase in run totals

ageing equipment

lack of funds for preventive maintenance of said equipment

always being told we have to do more with less, while other parts of the town/city/county services receive funding above and beyond what they need

and the problem that everyone faces...dealing with MUTTS!
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 10-19-2003, 08:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter631
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    imtxff44 just happened to slam the entire East Coast in his post, based on picking one or two examples. If he really is a "Texas" firefighter, he should take a look into his own backyard and try to solve those dilemmas before trying to take on half of the country!
    Gee Ron, I'm from Texas what kind of problems do we have here? Dont **** on the rest of us, just because of Larry, its like saying the whole family is bad just because of one retarted uncle.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    No Scba on a pitch?What the *****?

Woods, has TC got a deal for U.West Coast style 50'double truss WOODEN Bangor ladder.Now that separates the bulls from the pups.OFD you gotta be kiddin' 13# is going to make the difference between mobility or no,going thru the roof or no?,you guys ever hear of roof ladders?Yes they will work on tiles albeit not great.EVERY FF1 in this state is trained from the git go if you're off the ground you're on air.Pitched, flat,mansard all require the use of Scba.If I'm going to hostile ground,ie above the fire,I want my fresh air with me.Complete the evolution and leave the area.Guess it's all in how you train.T.C.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    I DID IT.................

I'm the one who first mentioned wooden ladders, so if anyone got offended on that, blame me. For the record, I am an equal opportunity offender, I try to offend everyone equally. Now, As one who is qualified to be the National Poster Child for Geriatric Firefighters, I have seen, carried, placed, extended, climbed, and cursed Wooden ladders. Notice that I didn't say "throw". You can't throw those things, they're too damn heavy. If, as the Brothers on the West Coast say, the newer ones are lighter and stronger, then fine, that helps. Will Rogers said he never met a man he didn't like. Well, H.Woods never met a wooden ladder that he liked. (BTW, Alcolite and Duosafety are now making Aluminum ladders that are as heavy as the old wooden ones. WTF??) Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• FireLt1951
    replied
    If life and property are saved and the fire is extinguished, to each their own! I ain't given up the old 880 though

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    I'll be the Devil's Advocate...

I've seen the video you speak of...

Did the weight of the Mask contribute to this roof man falling through the roof? This was a tile roof...the roof system probably barely supports the weight of the roof itself. There is no need to support snow loads as this was in the Southwest. There were three men on that roof that had a sizable amount of fire under it and venting from it in the rear.

Also I know it is common on the West Coast for the Officer of the 1st due Truck to be on the roof with two other members. I've been told he is the safety officer (I'm not really sure what that means) In the Midwest and East Coast the roof is cut by one or two members in most cases and the Truck boss is inside with the inside team. The roofs in the Midwest and East support heavier loads due to snow. However we use fewer members than the west coast where I've seen many videos with 5 and more members on a peaked roof. There is an excellent photo on www.Firenuggets.com regarding this issue.

Although I am on the East Coast. I have read Mittendorf's book and he makes a good case for wooden ladders. I think it comes down to cost of maintenance that Chiefs don't want to pay for.

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X