X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptainGonzo
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Wow imtx...You sure know a lot about EVERYTHING.
    A legend in his own mind......
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

• ff7134
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Nov 2002

I am glad someone of his calibre knows so much about East Coast Firefighting. He probably never seen or understands the Brotherhood of East Coast Firefighting. And obviously he wears a Salad Bowl and understands nothing of Tradition.
      AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

• GeorgeWendtCFI
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Jul 1999

knuckleheadness
        Two questions:
        1. Is this a word?
        @. Does it apply to Larry?
        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

• ff7134
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by imtxff44
          Some generalizations, East versus west:

Almost everyone on the east coast wants to be FDNY from look of thier apparatus, helmets, etc..when they don't have the staffing to pull it off, the FDNY worship is sickening from smoothbores to 2 1/2 inch hose.

East coast rarely follows there own personal safety rules or enforces them at all levels, (see any magazine photo for prrof) versus the west safety first and writeups galore if you don't want to follow the rules. You know, things like cheaters on the breathing apparatus, taking the liners out of the coats, free lancing on the fire ground, no accountability on the fire ground, pull up boots forever, wearing the scba but never buckling the waist belt, standing in the rescues, jump seats, etc. Look at LA with 18 years between firifighter deaths for any cause, then it was a helicopter falling out of the sky. Or Clark County with 1.5 million people, 28 years between firefighter deaths.

Now remind doesn't San Francisco Fire weare Long coats, nomex pants, and leather boots. Call me crazy but that Sounds a little TRADITIONAL Oohh no I've said a bad word, Webteam come get me ,and the last time I checked SF is on the West Coast.
          sounds like you know alot about freelancing maybe that is your problem or an issue in your dept. And I have never heard of ANYONE taking the liners out of their coat. And what is wrong with repsecting a great department like FDNY. And no we don't "worship" FDNY and no we don't try to be like them. We take the techniques they come up with and use them in our department.
          AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

• Lewiston2Capt
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2000

Larry? You came back and didnt even say hello! I am hurt and upset!

I find it amazing when generalizations actually discredit the arguement being made. Truely amazing.
            Shawn M. Cecula
            Firefighter
            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

• FFFRED
              MembersZone Subscriber
              • May 1999

Limp D*** Larry Strikes again...

Comment

• captstanm1
                District Chief
                • Mar 2001

Are you certain that all those departments still maintain Class 1? I was under the impression that the list was much much smaller now.

Terminology:
                West coast.... Use all Engines
                East Coast: Wagon and Engines and in Florida (Pinellas County) Pumper

Ok....I am out of touch... What is Larry's Screen Name now???
                Last edited by distchief60b; 10-14-2003, 07:35 PM.
                09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                ------------------------------
                IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                BMI Investigator
                ------------------------------
                The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

• FFMcDonald
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2000

I stand by my previous statement - you can't compare them. It's apples and oranges.

Tell me the one place on the west coast where you will find buildings as old as there are on the east coast???

Hmmm - maybe San Francisco -- and even then - you are hard pressed to find a building older than the great 1906 quake and fire.

And as ff7134 said -- Doesn't San Fran wear long coats and 3/4 length boots?

I'll keep my eye on this thread -- and defend my east coast again

Oh - I don't worship the FDNY either. But how many patents on firefighting equipment do any west coast fire depts have? I guess the FDNY isn't innovative enough.
                  Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                  "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

• FFMcDonald
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2000

I stand by my previous statement - you can't compare them. It's apples and oranges.

Tell me the one place on the west coast where you will find buildings as old as there are on the east coast???

Hmmm - maybe San Francisco -- and even then - you are hard pressed to find a building older than the great 1906 quake and fire.

And as ff7134 said -- Doesn't San Fran wear long coats and 3/4 length boots?

I'll keep my eye on this thread -- and defend my east coast again

Oh - I don't worship the FDNY either. But how many patents on firefighting equipment do any west coast fire depts have? I guess the FDNY isn't innovative enough.
                    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

• Dalmatian90
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2000

Wow imtx...You sure know a lot about EVERYTHING.

You'd think he should edit a magazine or sumthin'
                      IACOJ Canine Officer
                      20/50

Comment

• Firegod343
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2002

His head must be in the West coast......

of his rectum.

Imtx....you must lead a very secluded life in the fire service. Having spent many days at the NFA (and nights at the Ott House), I would have to say that the similarities between the East and West outweigh the differences. There are many ideas I have stolen and brought back to Washington State, even a couple that have been introduced into our State Academy.

I have firefighter friends up and down the eastern seaboard, and not one of them fits the profile you have used to describe them. Your attack was cheap and uncalled for.

I've stepped into a few fire stations in Maryland and Pennsylvania. I haven't seen a bar yet, but what I have seen is pride and professionalism in their departments. I stopped into the Gettysburg Fire station three years ago, and the firefighters were falling all over themselves to give me and a buddy a tour of their incredible station.

You should try taking that stick out of your butt.....there's a whole big 'nother fire service world out there.

FG
                        Last edited by Firegod343; 10-15-2003, 03:52 AM.
                        IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
                        (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
                        and then go to war,
                        while defeated warriors go to war first,
                        and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Comment

• 46Truck
                          • Mar 2003

well??

This guy seems pretty damned sure of his convictions (as ridiculous as they seemed to the rest of us)...So Buddy....Where is your response???

Comment

• CaptainGonzo
                            Forum Member
                            • Aug 2000

Re: well??

Originally posted by 46Truck
                            This guy seems pretty damned sure of his convictions (as ridiculous as they seemed to the rest of us)...So Buddy....Where is your response???
                            Larry? Larry? Larry?
                            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

• SamsonFCDES
                              MembersZone Subscriber
                              • Jul 2003

Truely, as stated above, there is a big old fire service world out there.

I am from fronteir Montana (we are not rural in the sence of rural america, we have less people then that). We have a steady stream of hunters comeing through our area this time of year. Yesterday while we were sitting at the firehall figuring out how to rehad one of our wildland engines a fellow stoped in from the Detroit fire department. We did the obligitory tee shirt swap, gave him a tour of the place, showed him our pride and joy, a pre 1900 human drawn fire wagon, and then proceded to down a large number of beers at the local bar (no, not in the fire hall! ).

We had a good BS session and I learned a lot about detroit FD.

Truely worlds apart, but in spirit not that different.

If you want to talk east west, dont stop at the US borders, go world wide, Japans fire service is truely facinating, a far cry from the FDNY, but agian not so in spirit.

Tradition, no matter where you are in the world, is important, but dont let it impede progress. On that thought, in order to have tradition, do you have to have your entire fire protection area go up in smoke at least once in history? Chicago, Tokoyo, London, etc... Seems to be a common denomiator. Did NYC ever have a firestorm of that magnitude?
                              -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
                              -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Comment

• stm4710
                                Forum Member
                                • Jul 2003

I think Larry aka "porcupine" is busy at his other job.
                                I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...