Millenia Turnouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poly-phenylene benzobisoxazole (Zylon)

hehe. Well here is the post I had in another thread about Zylon, the secondary ingredient in Millenia (40% Zylon/60%Technora). I do not have any imformation on Technora that would indicate rapid performance degradation. As an aramid Technora would most likeley be UV sensitive to some extent. I don't know about heat and humidity though. So, I present the below post on Zylon.

=================

Recently, there has been a great deal of discussion about Zylon (a major portion of Millenia) degrading SIGNIFICANTLY in hot, humid conditions. This has mainly dealt with Zylon as used in ballistic body armor ("bulletproof vests").

I was wondering if anyone has any information about this as it relates to its use in PPE... it has a 5 year warranty as advertised. Just wondering if anyone has had issues yet. I hadn't seen this discussed here yet, but I figure it's quite important given the "hot and humid" conditions, since that's pretty much where we all end up at some point or another. The study below by Toyobo (who makes Zylon) also shows that routine exposure to fluorescent lights--in addition to sunlight--seriously alters the strength of Zylon.

http://www.toyobo.co.jp/e/seihin/kc/pbo/technical.pdf

FYI a ballistic vest made of Zylon failed and a patrolman was injured when he was shot. The Zylon vest was rated to stop the round that struck him. A major manufacturer is releasing some pretty serious info about the vests, and sending out "upgrades" to anyone who has one. SecondChance writes, "When introduced, the early degradation of this miracle fiber (ZYLON®) was not predicted by anyone in our industry. This new advanced fiber is the strongest man made fiber in the world. It allowed vest manufacturers to make vests so thin and light that it virtually removed the burden of wearing armor. Little did we know where this new fiber would lead us."

An interesting thing to note is the publish/revision date of the document - 2001. Who knows when the testing was done and when they actually had the data...

Many PD's are replacing all of their vests on an emergency basis.
    tony
    Last edited by Resq14; 10-12-2003, 09:23 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Odd isn't it

Those who care to pursue it may find that another favorite fabric of firefighters across this country is also subject to UV degradation;PBI.It seems whenever we make a "better"fabric,there is always a "Dark Side".Now I'll debate Securitex with anyone via private E-mail,I think I've dropped enough hints here.Could always go back to rubber I suppose;oh wait they don't make real rubber anymore.Mention was made of PBI Matrix,I'm currently trying to get some good info on that.The saga continues.T.C.

Comment

Re: Odd isn't it

Originally posted by Rescue101
        Those who care to pursue it may find that another favorite fabric of firefighters across this country is also subject to UV degradation;PBI.
        I think you'll find that Zylon degrades much faster than PBI or aramids based on this information. Most of these modern fabrics (aramids, etc) are susceptible to damage from UV exposure. But I was shocked to read the extent of damage specifically Zylon.
        God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
        Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
        Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

I advised our chief and other line officers about this research regarding Zylon. I listed numerous links about the failure of Zylon due to everyday environmental conditions in ballistic armor. I said it was something we might want to look into with a large order of Millenia on the way. I was told by our chief that none of the officers had a problem with it so he didn't either. If I had to do it again though, I'd still say my piece.
          Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

I think you only have if half correct. You may NOT wear mixed brands of gear. As for wearing mixed types of fabric ie Black Pbi coat and a Black Advance pants I have never heard anything wrong with that as long as the fabric meets standards it is ok.
            I do not have the current standard in front of me but I am sure someone has access to it. I know that the testing requires a "completed garment". One piece of the garment does not constitute a compliant ensemble. In order to be compliant both pieces have to be tested together and the TPP and THL evaluated. There are so many many different combinations that no manufacturer will go the expense of testing Nomex Pants with Advance Coats, Advance Coats with Basofil Pants, Milenia Pants with Nomex Coat, P84 Pants with PBI Coat and so on and so forth. Therefore if you mix the outer shells you are wearing a non-compliant set of gear. Departments may do it, but just because they do it....does that make it safe? It makes no sense to me to mix and match outer shells. You will in most cases be wearing a set of gear where one component will fail before the other. The example of Advacne and PBI that you give above is a prime example. You have pants that provide a flash rating of around 1100 Degrees and a Coat that has a flash rating of nearly 1300 or better....
            09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
            ------------------------------
            IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
            "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
            BMI Investigator
            ------------------------------
            The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X