Millenia Turnouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millenia Turnouts

DOES ANYONE HAVE TURNOUTS MADE OF MILLENIA?
    THEY SEEM TO HOLD UP MUCH BETTER THAN PBI GOLD
    AND SOUTHERN MILLS HAS PUT A 5 YEAR WARRANTY
    ON ANY HOLES OR RIPS ON THE MATERIAL. THEY ALSO
    HAVE THE SAME DEGRADATION TEMPERATURE AS PBI GOLD
    1300 DEGREES.
    I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT IF ANYONE HAS ANY COMPLAINTS
    ABOUT MILLENIA. OR HAS A GOOD REASON TO BUY PBI INSTEAD.

THANKS BROS!
    STAY SAFE!!!

We have been using Millenia with our Globe gear for about 2 years. There have been no complaints. When you first get the gear you need to throw it in the wash right away. It will be a little stiff right out of the box but will loosen up after a washing.

Stay Safe!

Patrick

Comment

I have seen the milenia but never used it except to demonstrate it. I will say that I felt it was a bit stiff and bulky. I have heard no real complaints about it, but it is realtively new in the market and still being improved. And as you can see from the responses here there apparently dont seem to be a lot of folks using it.

Patrick....how many calls does your department run? How many working fires do you have? Important information to have when evaluating a departments perception on gear performance.
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Donnellyfire,

Some of our members have had their reflective striping come undone because they snagged the stiching during a RIT drill. Their Millenia coats were less than 1 year old with very little fire exposure. Their matching bunker pants are still on order (for many months). Only time will tell how well the gear holds up. Whatever gear you purchase it should be lightweight, NFPA approved, and durable. Many of today's line of duty deaths are cardiac related. We need to get our members to exercise and at the same time make their job easier with comfortable gear. You may be able to find some documents online with the results of FDNY, Boston, or Milwaukee field tests. Good luck with your future purchase.
        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

NySmokey....Question for you? Who is the manufacturer? Are they wearing Milennia Coats with a different style pants? If so, they are in a non-compliant set of gear. NFPA 1971, 2000 Edition does not recognize the use of unlike fabrics as part of the ensemble because they are not "tested" together.
          BMI Investigator
          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

captstanm1,

They are wearing Globe coats. I will advise our chief of that. If anyone is able to find any info on the negative impact of firefighting duties on Zylon I'd appreciate a heads up. The cops are having lots of problems with that material (a major component of Millenia) Thanks.
            Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I found that Millenia has a pretty low thermal protection score. I think we are going to hold out on Millenia. I cannot find to many people wearing it. Capt Stan, have you heard much about Securitex 2F3 outershells? I am looking into that also. It looks like pretty good stuff. Thanks for your help!

Comment

donellyfire...I sent you an email.... did you get it?

NYsmokey....clarification.. What I meant was this...for sake of an example...If you wear a Nomex Coat you and Advance pants the ensemble is not compliant. The use of different fabrics is not considered compliant because the provide different levels of protection. Additionally, you should not be wearing a coat from ABC Fire Gear and Pants from XYZ Fire Gear. Those two pieces were not tested together and even though ABC is compliant and XYZ are compliant they are not compliant when put together...

Hope that makes it clear.
                BMI Investigator

Comment

I hear ya loud and clear captstanm1. Unfortunately, those at the top don't want to hear that. I have brought to their attention numerous issues and they have mostly fallen on deaf ears. I will reference the NFPA standard and maybe they will read it. Thanks again.
                  Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Well....good luck....but remember this... NFPA Standards are Concenous Standards and are not mandatory unless the authority having jurisdiction adopts them. Then they become "required." If a Department decides not to go by them it is ok.. Not much will happen unless someone gets hurt....then....."open comes the can of worms."
                    BMI Investigator

Comment

Originally posted by captstanm1
                      donellyfire...I sent you an email.... did you get it?

NYsmokey....clarification.. What I meant was this...for sake of an example...If you wear a Nomex Coat you and Advance pants the ensemble is not compliant. The use of different fabrics is not considered compliant because the provide different levels of protection. Additionally, you should not be wearing a coat from ABC Fire Gear and Pants from XYZ Fire Gear. Those two pieces were not tested together and even though ABC is compliant and XYZ are compliant they are not compliant when put together...

Hope that makes it clear.
                      I think you only have if half correct. You may NOT wear mixed brands of gear. As for wearing mixed types of fabric ie Black Pbi coat and a Black Advance pants I have never heard anything wrong with that as long as the fabric meets standards it is ok. Many fire departmnts that I sell to do this due this. A coat with higher thermal rating is used to protect the "vitals" in the torso. The coat sees more heat. While the pants are a hight physical strength materal so they last longer. I fail to see why this would be wrong. The protective qualities of the gear is made up of all THREE layers not just the outershell. You can spec gear with diffrent outershells and end up with the same ttp rating in the end for the coat and pants by using diffrent thermal and vapor barriers

Comment

TPP

Tpp between PBI and Millenia with the same thermal barrier and moisture barrier aren't so far apart.I've been field testing a set of Millenia for almost a year now.So far I'm favorably impressed.The MFG apparently has some faith in the fabric too,they've put a five year warranty in place.Is it for everyone? No!But if you need an outer that has good flame properties and excellent wear properties it may be one to consider.Supposedly they have a new offering,PBI matrix that is better and tougher than Millenia.This I gotta see.Try to get a Globe information kit,it has swatches of the most common outer fabrics that have been through the flame test.The only one you can't push your thumb thru is Millenia.What's that prove?Not much outside of the fact it's a pretty tough fabric.When choosing gear there are many items that need to be considered,what works for me may not work for you.Price is my LAST consideration,Comfort,protection and service life come first.T.C.

Comment

If you get a minute guys (and gals), browse the report on the other post regarding Zylon fabric. The most interesting statistic that I saw was the fact that Zylon loses 35% of its strength after 6 months of exposure to daylight or flourescent light. NOT direct sunlight, ANY light. THAT concerns me. How much strength does it lose after a year? Three years? I know it has a five year warranty, but with that kind of degradation it probably has a five year service life!

Comment

Millenia and 2F3

Hey Donnelyfire:

This is quite the thread isn't it! Boy, I see alot of people taking an avid interest in turnout gear. You guys talk alot about TPP when comparing fabrics and durability etc. You know, we all have it wrong. What we should be concerning ourselves with is what all this gear does when it's been used for a little while. Remember,, You guys spout numbers, and TPP's when you know that all this data is based on simulated fireground activities that are out of a lab. The comment made regarding millenia and it's durability and strength after a little exposure to light is absolutely right! How do I know? Because I know!! Let me tell you something else! It doesn't matter what outer shell you buy when it comes to thermal protection. It all depends on the 3 layers, how the garment fits, and how well the garment uses air as an insulator. As far as durability and guarantees are concerned, next time check the disclaimer associated with these fabric guarantees. Let me tell you, you need a lawyer to figure out the liability.

I believe Donnelly mentioned 2F3. Interesting fabric from Securitex. Should you check into it? Absolutely. But remember. This is a proprietary fabric from Securitex. Call users of the fabric and check out what it does! I heard the stuff has excellent balanced properties.
                            Strong, UV resistant, flexible, and sheds water like crazy. I recommend you do your own research on that fabric since the other manufacturers cannot sell it and may not like you pursuing it!!

Comment

I just wanted to thank our local Securitex factory rep for stopping by !

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X