What you like about the chief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you like about the chief?

I am running for department chief in the Dec. election. Please tell me what you like or do not like about your past or present chief. It may give me some help.

Don't think you'll get many answers with the question worded that way. How about: What are some qualities you look for in a chief or what are things that you don't want to do as a chief......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Comment

I personally think that elections are the worst way to go in this situation. We could spout of 50,000 things about the questions you posed, however I would want to know why YOU should be Chief ?> elections are based on what in your department ? Seniority ? Best Buddies ? No running mates ? Sell yourself .........
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Where Do You Want To Go?.......

Let's cut right to the chase. This is IMPORTANT, pay attention. "Buying everyone a beer after the election may get you elected, but it will not make you a chief". You can take that to the bank. I have been a Firefighter for 45 years, an officer of some rank for abot 35 of those years and 17 of them as a Chief officer, with 7 as The Chief. The first thing you must have is a vision of where you want the department to go in the future. The second thing is the ability to articulate that vision to the membership. Third, be sure you have a plan to fund anything that costs money. After getting all that together, go out and sell that to the membership as being the best course to take from among those that are offered. If you can pull that off, you have earned it. AFTER you get elected, there are piles and piles of things to do (or not do) to become an effective leader. I am well aware that there are those who view elections as a poor way to select a Chief, and I think I know why, but, if there are stringent requirements for training, experience, and performance, all of which must be met to get elected AND continue in office, then there should be little room for the "political" BS that accompanies choosing officers by popular election. Best of Luck. Stay Safe....
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Harve, you were reading my mind ..........find anything else ? and did you get the chicken after fishing ?
          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Chuckle, Chuckle,.......

In a word, NO. Anyone on here from the Oneida Lake area in upstate NY, I have a Question. How did the VFD that lost an Airboat on the lake during a rescue make out after the storm was over? Get the boat back? And, who was it? Stay Safe....
            In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Chief Woods,
              I have been a Firefighter for 45 years, an officer of some rank for abot 35 of those years and 17 of them as a Chief officer, with 7 as The Chief
              Can I come work for you after I get my degree? Having a vision of where you want the department to go and being able to articulate it to your department is right on the mark. Being an effective leader and earning the respect of your department is something that has to be earned through hard work, commitment, and following through with your plan to lead your department to a future that everyone is excited about. My current textbook has an outstanding article on "Creating Future Excellence" by Mark Wallace. The points you bring up echo those that I have been studying. You can learn all the theories in the world but they are not going to be any good if you do not apply what you have learned and learn from those who have applied them.
              Thank you for sharing Chief Woods. Your crew is a very fortunate one to have you as their leader.

Comment

The first thing that came to my mind was the definition of Leadership:

"Leadership is the art of influencing human behaviour in such a way as to accomplish the mission in the manner as desired by the leader."

Over the years I have many times comtemplated that statement and often tried to see how it applies some of the military officers and Sr NCO's I have worked with. Most of them in some form or another were/are really great leaders. Some were not. And it really is an "Art Form"; some have got it and some do not.

In addition to that, on the more humanistic points somethings that you might want to remember are:

1) think about who some of your best leaders were - they still have a lot to teach even if you dont see them anymore. They helped to bring you to where you are.

2) remember, you are a Brother, a Father and a Friend. But you are also the Chief. Sometimes all rolled in one, sometimes they have to be separate. Knowing when to merge or separate these is the "Art".

3) use the Big Chief voice when necessary, but not any more than needed. Eventually, if you use it all the time, no one will listen.

4) remember, your firefighters are your biggest and best asset and tool, don't overwork them any more than absolutely necessary. Like any good tool, treat them well and look after them. They will always look after you.

5) refer back to #1.
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

I'm working on my 4th year as Chief of a volunteer department. Never bought anybody anything, much less beer, or did any campaigning. If you try and "be" anything other than yourself, you've made your first mistake.

I've found that leading from the front and by example won't put you down the wrong path too often. The Chief is not above bedding hose, cleaning equipment, or washing trucks, etc. I have high standards and expectations of myself (lead by example) but you have to be realistic when dealing with a very diverse group of folks.

Remember that the day you became Chief you didn't just get any smarter, you just signed up for more responsibility and the target painted on your forehead just got REAL big. You are part of a TEAM, a very important part, but a team member nonetheless. You have the ultimate responsibility for everything that happens, good and bad. It's nice to be popular and be everybodys friend, but if you're doing the job right you're going to have to step on somebody at some point. The key is how you step on someone, treat them as you would want to be treated.

I've loved about 90% of being Chief. There are days when the "pay" is just not worth the aggravation but they are few and far between. It's a great feeling to run a call where everything you've talked about and drilled on comes together and goes like clockwork. My biggest compliment is when someone tells me how well the company worked at an incident....and I wasn't there! Wait....could that be where the term "chaos" comes from?....Nah, can't be.

Good Luck!:
                  Last edited by TCFire; 10-08-2003, 02:13 PM.
                  In Arduis Fidelis
                  Faithful in Adversity

Comment

hwoods

It was West Monroe FD. Here is a link to the story:

http://www.syracuse.com/search/index....xml?syrnegosw

Those are the facts. There's some scuttlebutt on some other things, but without facts to back it up I won't repeat it. I'll let you know if I hear any more. I do know a lot of Oneida Lake isn't too deep so retrieving the boat shouldn't be a huge issue.
                    Last edited by tripperff; 10-08-2003, 04:22 PM.
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Comment

hwoods......very well put...even though you are a yankee...you make lots of sense!
                      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                      ------------------------------
                      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                      BMI Investigator
                      ------------------------------
                      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Thanks Tripper......

Thanks a lot for the link. I wasn't fishing, I'm a (sometimes) member of the Triton boat teams pit crew (Yeah, just like NASCAR) and this was one wild week, weatherwise. The tournament was cancelled though, it did not continue thru Saturday as the reporter said. One boat (not one of ours) still has not been recovered.

Stan: Thanks a lot, Carpetbagger.

Stay Safe....
                        In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Sound advice from several others who have the White Helmets.

But if thier advice fails. Book Dee Snyder to play at your campaign speech.

Arnolds Back !!
                          Attached Files
                          Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

That was some lead in!

First of all: Harve; great post.

GreggGeske wrote:
                            I am running for department chief in the Dec. election. Please tell me what you like or do not like about your past or present chief. It may give me some help.
                            You know; at first, I thought you were joking. I mean; talk about leaving the door open! But then I thought "what the heck; I'll bite".
                            Here is what I liked about the past chief:
                            1) He was knowledgeable and exhibited leadership.
                            2) He was a mediator when problems between FFs arose.
                            3) Where it came to incident command, he played no favorites.
                            4) He was brutally honest.
                            5) He was compassionate, caring and kind.
                            6) He had a sense of humor when appropriate.
                            7) He had an ability to think outside the box.
                            8) He thought of his men first and himself last.
                            9) He could instill pride for the service in his men.
                            10)He got things done; failure wasn't an option.

What I didn't like about him and I take this very personal is that he didn't accomplish all that he set out to do before he stepped down.
                            But he made great chili and baked beans!
                            CR
                            Last edited by ChiefReason; 10-09-2003, 02:03 PM.
                            Visit www.iacoj.com
                            Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                            RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Re: That was some lead in!

He may not be chief anymore BUT ....

1) He IS knowledgeable and exhibits leadership.
                              2) He IS a mediator when problems between FFs arise.
                              3) Where it comes to incident command, he plays no favorites.
                              4) He IS brutally honest.
                              5) He IS compassionate, caring and kind.
                              6) He HAS a sense of humor when appropriate.
                              7) He HAS an ability to think outside the box.
                              8) He THINKS of OTHERS first and himself last.
                              9) He DOES STILL instill pride for the service in OTHERS.
                              10)He GETS things done; failure ISN'T an option.

Can't comment on the chili and baked beans, I haven't been invited to dinner yet

Good Luck Gregg!
                              September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                              IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader