Thank You New York!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You New York!

Well another one bits the dust as we say... our Bingo activities will come to aclose when the license expires on Nov. 1. Randolph has held bingo since the 60's but no more. Since the smoking ban, our numbers have decreased and it has actually costed us money to run bingo in some cases. So since New York likes to put people out of business...

What do you guys do as fund-raisers? We do have Chicken BBQ's, and now thats all. We were thinking dinners... does anybody run dinners? We have this big empty bingo hall now... so what should we do is the question. Any recommendations, greatly appreciated.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Here's a few options

This is some of the stuff that goes on in my area for different departments: Chicken BBQ's, Pancake Breakfasts, Fish Frys, really any kind of meal can be turned into a fund raiser if you do it well. Golf and bowling tournaments. Shotgun, bow, 4-wheeler, car/truck raffles. We do clam bakes for different companies and organizations. Carnivals work well when the weather cooperates. It all depends on what other groups do in your area to raise money. If the local Rod and Gun Club raffles off a shotgun every fall you might not sell many tickets. Or if the local Elks (or any other Fraternal Organization Critter) have a fish fry every Friday night you might lose money on that. I don't know how things go where you are, but I would try dinners at the Chicken BBQs to start. If you are already a success at selling just the halves, some salads, drinks and disposable dinnerware make for the least additional investment.

Also consider this: give it a little time, some of those bingo-philes are pretty hard core. In time you might have enough people asking you to start holding bingo night again.

Either way, good luck, goodness knows we all need it
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Comment

Yes, indeed, THANK YOU, New York

From one RFD to another, sorry for your situation, but our bingo has actually had a slight increase some weeks, have had new people showing up most weeks, having to instruct them how bingo works in some cases. Even better our member (worker) attendance is better, I've been life member for 13 years and exempt from working, but a few of us that don't 'have to' be there are showing up to help more.
      AND WE DON'T GO HOME REEKING......

THANK YOU INDEED NEW YORK......
      (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
      BE SAFE OUT THERE
      NEVER FORGET
      GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
      IACOJ
      F.O.O.P.

Comment

As far as Bingo is concerned, we decieded to have a few breaks for everyone to go outside and have their nicotine fix. I am not sure what will happen when winter comes with subzero temps, but it has worked fine so far.
        AND WE DON'T GO HOME REEKING......
        I also no longer wake up with an odd craving for a cigarette.
        Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Comment

We have a calendar drive where we go door to door once a year with advance notice. We also have an AD book where businesses take out ads and citizens as well and we distribute them throughout the town. We have 1 chicken BBQ and that is about i.

Comment

In my department we do the following.1.a yearly field days with a fund drive.2.a yearly calender drive were we use the nys lotto numbers.3.and a harley raffle.

Comment

We have several fundraisers every year:

We hold several pancake breakfasts.

Every June we have a two day carnival we call "Summerfest." We have live music, kids rides, etc. Saturday night we have a fireworks display over the river.

In the "old days", the firefighters did everything: cooked the chicken dinners,set off the fireworks etc. Now we have the dinners catered, several restraunts bring in their own trailers, a vendor takes care of the rides, etc. Basically the only things we have to do is check IDs, sell tickets, pour beer and the probies get the garbage patrol duty.

We make a pretty good profit as long as the weather is good.

We also have a "Feather Party" raffle the weekend before Thanksgiving. It's a raffle for complete turkey dinners (frozen 12 lb.turkey,10 lb. bag of sweet potatoes,etc. - hence the "Feather" in the title) and other prizes. This is quite a bit of work for us as tickets are sold for each spin of the wheel. People get very beligerent at the ticket sellers, especially if they don't get tickets for the dinners. This year will be our first "smoke free" Feather Party and some are nervous about what the turnout will be like. We will have a heated tent outside as a smoking area so I think we'll still do okay.

On a side note, I personally think fundraising is one of the worst things about the volunteer fire service. If our tax base would support it, I would campaign to never have another fundraiser again! But that's just my opinion
              Last edited by WTFD10; 10-09-2003, 07:35 PM.
              FTM-PTB-DTRT

Comment

Small station, small community, and we only do one fundraiser. We have an annual oyster roast, eight years running. We have it in the local National Guard armory (only place big enough), with a seafood company providing oysters and shrimp. They cook the oysters, we do the rest. Slaw, beaufort stew, corn, all you can eat. It's BYOB, so we make a cooler of tea and let it ride. Insurance is cheap (200 bucks or so) and we get the armory for free. The real bitch is the clean up.

Last year, we had a net profit of three grand. Not a lot by a lot of standards, but better than nothing.
                The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Comment

The dept. that I am with hold a fundraiser where they set up a toll booth in the turning lane in the middle of town. some of the ffs stand in the lane with a boot or a helmet for passerbys to drop money into. People dont have to drop money, but most do any way.
                  Jaime
                  No longer an explorer-
                  Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
                  KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
                  I shed blood for my ruggers.
                  <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
                  www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

Comment

I am not to sure about how your town is with parties and adult beverages but our department holds a giant party each year where we have a well known band come in and play and we dont charge to get in but we ask for donations at the door and at the bar. Donations from the community help when asked and other local busnisses. It is one idea that we have been doing for years and each year it gets bigger and bigger.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X