Sides 1-2-3-4 or A-B-C-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hfd66truck
    ...and Professor Plum was in the library with the candlestick...
    Uhh....?

Comment

I forgot you were that young CB....

..ever heard of the game "Clue"?

Comment

In 6 years with my VFD I've never heard anyone use either the 1234 or ABCD while on scene. The first time I heard it used was in the Firefighter 1 class I took this summer in a neighboring Parish(County). Of course, we aren't required to have any 'formal' training in our department so things like ICS and personell accountability would just confuse most of our people anyway.
        By the way, we are mostly residential/industrial mix and cover 96sq miles along the Mississippi River with 10 chemical plants, 8,000 residents and average over 400 calls a year.

Comment

oh my....................
          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

I was thinking a little more than OH my.......

I was kinda thinkin William Tom Frank........
            The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
            We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
            IACOJ

Comment

yeah what they said

cellblock perhaps your dept should look into these words NFPA, IFSTA, and OSHA.

I know change can be hard, im from new england where 150+ yrs of FF tradition unimpeeded by progress is a way of life for some, but not practicing basic FF skills and practices as dept policy is a recipe for disaster. I hope your taking FF 1 opened your eyes to some factors that need to be redressed in your dept and that you can take some of the knowledge gained there and force feed it to your leaders and membership.

papa foxtrot golf
              Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
              New England FOOL
              "LEATHER FOREVER"
              As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Comment

Shammrock,
                OSHA, NFPA, etc are things that we know about but I'm not sure how well they are followed. For 5 years I tried to get FF1 training with my local department only to be told that it wasn't necessary. After I was hired fulltime by the City I convinced the Chief that although it wasn't required, if I got my State FF1 I could put in for Supplimental Pay. With his permission I enrolled in a 120 hour FF1 class and managed to convince some of the other paid and volunteer members of my department to enroll with me. After 4 months of classes 7 of us passed the class. Five of us have gone on to pass the LSU State FF1 exam and get our certifications.
                We learned about NFPA regs that discuss placement of fire extinguishers on pumpers. None of our trucks has fire extinguishers. The Chief says that with each truck carrying 1000 gallons of water we don't need extinguishers.
                We learned about ICS but know that in our department there is only one Incident Commander, the Chief. No matter how many firefighters are on scene the Chief is in charge wether he is there or still enroute. If I arrive first on a scene and dispatch asks if I want additional units or Mutual Aid sent to my location I wait for the Chief to answer as he races to the scene in his pickup truck.
                When we reached the Haz-Mat portion of the class we were told that we need to study from the IFSTA book 'Hazardous Materials for First Responders'. The Chief told us that there used to be a few copies of the book at our station but he tossed them out because he didn't agree with some of the things taught in it. So we bought new copies.
                Training happening at other departments in our Parish(County)? Don't bother faxing us the info. Airmed Landing Zone Class on a Friday evening for all 10 Parish departments? Incident Command System class on Saturday? The Chief got the faxes and even took the phone calls but nobody in the department was told. Out of 10 departments we were the only ones absent from these classes. So we don't hold our own training and we don't go to training with departments in our own Parish, How about just getting together one night a month for a general members business meeting? Lack of attendance cancelled this month's meeting. You join up and get a license plate for your car, a pager and a red light. Members don't have to come to training, meetings or any of the 400+ calls we are paged out for each year. So maybe you can see why I consider the 1-2-3-4 vs A-B-C-D issue to be a low priority relative to all of the other problems we have.
                Stay Safe,

Comment

HOLY TOLEDO BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

After I was hired fulltime by the City I convinced the Chief that although it wasn't required, if I got my State FF1 I could put in for Supplimental Pay.
                  How are you fulltime and not required to have training? In the State of Ohio you need to have the FFII (240 hours) to be full time and FFI (120 hours) for part-time

The Chief says that with each truck carrying 1000 gallons of water we don't need extinguishers
                  What about tar-kettle fires, Magnesium fires, just to name a couple....

We learned about ICS but know that in our department there is only one Incident Commander, the Chief. No matter how many firefighters are on scene the Chief is in charge wether he is there or still enroute. If I arrive first on a scene and dispatch asks if I want additional units or Mutual Aid sent to my location I wait for the Chief to answer as he races to the scene in his pickup truck
                  There's no way I would wait for a chief to arrive on scene to make a decision on whether additional units are needed or not......

he tossed them out because he didn't agree with some of the things taught in it
                  Good Lord!!!

Sounds like you guys need to find a different chief. If your chief is like that, it is not a safe working environment for you or anyone else.......
                  The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                  IACOJ

Comment

>How are you fulltime and not required to have training?<
                    I started in 1997 as a vollie after taking a First Responder class. I was given a light and a used set of turnouts. By 2000 the Mayor found money in the budget so that the Chief could hire a few of us parttime to cover the station at night. In July 2002 I quit my prison job to work full time when those FT positions were created. Most training was OJT over the years. I nearly fell over when the Chief finally decided to pay for my FF1 class. It only took 5 years of begging and the chance to get the State Sup Pay.
                    >What about tar-kettle fires, Magnesium fires, just to name a couple.... <
                    I guess they do what they did the last time the stove in the deli of the convience store caught fire one morning. Someone runs up to my POV as I arrive from home and says, 'We got a grease fire inside. Don't you have a couple extinquishers in your trunk?' My little $20 ABC cans put out the fire that morning while 3 pumpers sat parked outside the store.
                    >There's no way I would wait for a chief to arrive on scene to make a decision on whether additional units are needed or not...... <
                    We get paged to an apartment fire. The paid guy rolls the first out pumper and a vollie leaves home and picks up the second out pumper. Paid guy arrives on scene and reports heavy smoke from a second floor apartment and has 911 repage and ask for more vollies to respond with more trucks. Paid man is asked, "Do you want us to notify Baton Rouge for mutual aid?" Before he can answer the Chief radios to delay request for mutual aid until he is on scene to determine if they are needed. He is 5 miles away and the paid guy and 2 vollies with 2 pumpers are on scene but they can't make that decision. And don't get me started about how he cancelled mutual aid while we were still enroute to an industrial fire at 4am on weekday morning. Then we get on scene and while we are packing up and pulling hose he shows up and has 911 repage 3 times for additional manpower. Too late now, sir.
                    >Sounds like you guys need to find a different chief. If your chief is like that, it is not a safe working environment for you or anyone else.......<
                    There is a small core group trying to change things but it's been tough. A couple years ago we managed to get a motion passed at a monthly business meeting to bar drinking alcohol during the meetings. Members were showing up drunk and the more they drank the longer the meetings dragged on. The month after the alcohol ban passed we didn't have enough officers or members show for a meeting. The next month was a repeat of the same. On the 3rd month the Chiefs showed up and we had enough board members present for a meeting. We knew there was something up when several members who never come to metings and training showed up. I didn't even know some of their names. One of the officers said that the ban on alchol was the reason we didn't have meetings for the past 2 months and made a motion to overturn the ban. This time we were outnumbered. The ban was lifted. There probably would have been some more things brought up if we had had a meeting this month but only 6 members out of 30 showed so we had to cancell this month.
                    Last night the voters failed to pass a tax that would have kept the paid fire department alive. I go in tommorrow and should know by tommorrow evening wether I am being laid off or some miricle saves my job. It could be back to ALL Volunteer by next week.
                    Be Safe,

Comment

...and your eyes get opened wider......

Comment

not to be critical of you ............but three words come to mind OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!! has anyone seen Art ? anyone .............Bueller?
                        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

I started in 1997 as a vollie after taking a First Responder class. I was given a light and a used set of turnouts. By 2000 the Mayor found money in the budget so that the Chief could hire a few of us parttime to cover the station at night. In July 2002 I quit my prison job to work full time when those FT positions were created. Most training was OJT over the years. I nearly fell over when the Chief finally decided to pay for my FF1 class. It only took 5 years of begging and the chance to get the State Sup Pay.
                          OK, that tells me how you went about working full-time, but doesn't the state of Louisiana have any training requirements?????? LIke I said, in OH to be a volunteer firefighter, you have to have a minimum of the 36 hour volunteer firefighter training. To work part-time on a FD you have to have a minimum of the 120 hr. FFI training. To work full-time on a FD you must have the 240 hr FFII training. No ifs ands or buts about it. That's state law.........

Like I said, that sounds like it is an unsafe working environment. Yes I understand when people say you have to make do with what you have, but there are lines that cannot be crossed.........
                          IACOJ

Comment

I KNOW about Clue Dave, great GREAT movie.

I just wasn't sure what it had to do with my post. I thought I said something wrong. o.o

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X