Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firenresq77
    A,B,C,D for sides/exposures and floors are Divisions 1,2,3,4, etc
    Same here. It is a little complicated because our community is built into the side of the mountain, and every large condo/hotel building (4 stories +) has at least two floors partially below ground. We use the main road-side ground level entrance lobby as Alpha 1 for consistency between the divisions and sub-divisions.

Clear as mud??
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

we use the 1234 but as my neighbor pointed out they are of the ABCD variety ......just gotta kinda know the coresponding sides. I am sure sooner or later we will rollin over toe ABCD way........and to me it really makes no difference as long as you know what side goes to which number or letter......
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1
        we use the 1234 but as my neighbor pointed out they are of the ABCD variety ......just gotta kinda know the coresponding sides. I am sure sooner or later we will rollin over toe ABCD way........and to me it really makes no difference as long as you know what side goes to which number or letter......
        We made the switch to ABCD when the "big city" did last year. I believe they made the change due to the accredidation process.

As others have pointed out, as long as phoenetics are used it works fine. B & D are too similar otherwise and it leads to confusion.
        FTM-PTB-DTRT

Comment

We have used 1 - 4 for since we started ICS. Our whole County operates that way. Recently, the powers that be, decided we should conform to the "National Standard". My only issue is, why change now? We've been using 1 - 4 for years with no problem. It's not likely that we will be operating with a department that uses the alphabet anytime soon, and the interim confusion and havoc created will create more than a few headaches. The alphabet way was in vogue when we started and the County opted not to use it. Leave well enough alone.

Comment

Providence uses Sides 1-4, Quadrants A-E (I know, it sounds weird to me too but it makes sense, sorta), and Sectors 1-? (? being the floor above ground).

So, if "Sector 3 officer" reports s/he is overhauling Quadrant D Side 4, you know that s/he is on the third floor of the building, working in the upper righthand corner on the left side of the building looking at it from the street.
            Last edited by CollegeBuff; 10-02-2003, 08:54 PM.

Comment

...and Professor Plum was in the library with the candlestick...

Comment

SIGNAL99COM,

Got to love the side 1-2-3-4. It's easy to identify each side of the fireground with. And Onondaga County-Syracuse, NY. My old stomping ground. I lived in Onondaga County for 12 years of my life. I live in California now. And I love Signal99.com. I have to say though, it could use some updating. Post more incident photos.

God Bless, Take Care and, Stay Safe.

P.S. Visit http://www.signal99.com

Home of Ononadaga County's Fire Departments and Ambulance Corps.
                Last edited by brubaker; 10-02-2003, 09:14 PM.
                Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
                "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeBuff
                  Providence uses Sides 1-4, Quadrants A-E (I know, it sounds weird to me too but it makes sense, sorta), and Sectors 1-? (? being the floor above ground).

So, if "Sector 3 officer" reports s/he is overhauling Quadrant D Side 4, you know that s/he is on the third floor of the building, working in the upper righthand corner on the left side of the building looking at it from the street.
                  In class at NFA, we practically got our hands slapped if we said "sectors." Where I'm from, it used to be a common term. The instructors were easy-going about it, but the point was driven home when people started using terms interchangeably, then everyone became lost on the radios. If you stick to one way of communication as a profession, it only helps to clarify things. And while it might make sense to use 1-2-3-4 on a regional or county level, what happens when you cross county lines? Or what happens when you try to interface with an USAR team following a disaster? That is hardly the time to try and standardize communications.

Groups = functional assignment (vent group, search group, etc)
                  Divisions = geographic assignments (floors, etc)

You can avoid the use of quadrants by calling corners something like "Alpha-Bravo" or "Charlie-Delta".
                  God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                  Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                  Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Just a quick two cents on the B and D argument. If you are, or if you think you will mix those up on the radio, it is not the ABCD system that is the issue it's your radio procedures.

It really makes no difference whether you write A, B, C, or D on the command map, as long as you use proper radio procedures and pronounce them phonetically when you are communicating to people.

Your guys should be trained to use phonetics anytime they are relaying single letters, or tricky words over the radio (or even P2P in a noisy environment). If your Officers don't like the idea of writing out Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc. Fine, just make sure they are using good radio techniques to eliminate any confusion.
                    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Look at the bright side folks. At least nobody, as yet, uses N, S, E, W.

Comment

LOL E229...

I'd advocate that system...but I've been around long enough to know that a lot of people just can't figure out which way is up, never mind North from South!
                        IACOJ Canine Officer
                        20/50

Comment

Dal,
                          Truer words have never been spoken !
                          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Actually back when I was in high school I knew a couple of kids that thought North was up! Talk about messed up.
                            We were taught the ABCD method of enunciating sides. That is a nice change from the previous way of using North, South, East, and West, and that wasnt that long ago.

Now not to change the subject too much but I have heard that FEMA and USFA are pushing the IMS as opposed to ICS now, to the point that grants will not be issued to FDs whose mutual aid companies are not using IMS. Supposedly this is going to create a boarderless command structure. Can anyone please confirm or deny this?
                            Shawn M. Cecula
                            Firefighter
                            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Lewiston2Capt,

I have to attend a 16hr ICS (for the 12th frickin time) class next week. I think that may be a good question to ask. If I can get a straight answer from our illustrious Emergency Manager (ex-firefighter) I'll let you know.

We use Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta with Divisions numbered by floors.
                              Last edited by FireLt1951; 10-03-2003, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I just completed a 48 hour Command and Control of Incident Ops class there, and to my knowledge it was ICS we were using... I guess I'm not sure what the difference is between IMS and ICS.
                                God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                                Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                                Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X