X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAVolunteer
    replied
    Some interesting history behind the clip posted by E40FDNYL35:

Bill Feehan's son (Billy Jr.) was the one who proposed the idea to his father. "The Chief" reluctantly agreed and his family is thankful he did, and to have this memory of Bill Sr.

The music in the background ("Ashokan Farewell") has ties to the Ken
    Burns' "Civil War" series, as well as an Irish/Scottish/Hibernian
    heritage. Bill Sr was an avid Civil War buff, and was as "Irish as Paddy's Pig". Click Here for the history behind the music.

Billy Jr. received permission from the Catholic church to have the melody played at Bill's Sr.'s Funeral Mass on Saturday September 15th, 2001 in New York (Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, the Church will only allow approved liturgical music at all Masses). Needless to say, this qualified.

Stay Safe

Leave a comment:

• 1835Wayne
    replied
    I just rechecked this thread today. E40, that is truly awe inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• PFire23
    replied
    William Feehan is right when he says "you can't pay someone to do this job " ..... It's in our blood and in our hearts, and I don't think there's one of us who could just pack it in tomorrow and walk away a happy person. I know that I couldn't.

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    For those who don't know, the link Ray posted are the words of William Feehan, First Dep Commissioner of the FDNY before he gave his life on 9-11-01. The words are eerie when you consider his final end.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingKiwi
    replied
    Loyalty.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Loyal
    Last edited by FlyingKiwi; 10-03-2003, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 12TruckIrons
    replied
    very nice E40

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    PLEASE listen to this...click here

THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT..for me
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-05-2003, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Robertsc
    replied
    Webster's dictionary defines Brotherhood As:

broth·er·hood :'br&-[th]&r-"hud, noun
    Middle English brotherhede, brotherhod, alteration of brotherrede, from Old English brOthorr[AE]den, from brOthor + r[AE]den condition -- more at KINDRED
    1 : the quality or state of being brothers
    2 : FELLOWSHIP, ALLIANCE
    3 : an association for a particular purpose
    4 : the whole body of persons engaged in a business or profession

Note it says Kindred, a band of kindred souls, a fellowship, I know my brothers and that one solo sister in my department, who still continues to call me a little old Jewish lady (joke directed at me), they have my back that they would not leave me behind and i know i would not leave anyone of them behind, i feel a connection to all of you both brothers and sisters, from the EMT who gives me a cup of coco and a wool blanket to warm me up on the step of his bus, to the Leo who carries that gun and that stick to protect me and my brothers and sisters form people who may want to hurt us on a job as firefighters or EMTs, these are my brothers and sisters, the love and honor for them that extend beyond department size, paid, volly, rank, race, religion, sex, etc. That if i mess up someone will be there to give me a hard time for a few weeks and still find some time to help me fix that mistake before it happens again. Visit me when i am sick help me study for an exam, to paint that dog house one summer day, just because he or she wanted too. Having a muster out back with a BBQ and a few beers and a our families.

As it was said by Brother Pfire23" No matter what you need, BROTHERS AND SISTERS are there, no matter the time of day or night, no matter the size of the need..... they always are and always will be there. We always answer the call, with even more heart for one of our own."

Or as TillerMan25 said " Brotherhood is when I can walk into an FDNY Firehouse and be asked to stay for Dinner. Or when I go to a firehouse in Long Island for a Firefighter Funeral and be told by the Chief "your money is no good here." Or when my child is sick, I get calls from my friends and co-workers asking me if there is anything they can do."

Brotherhood such a simple word with an incredible meaning in our line, the pay sucks, we are almost always beat down worn out missing our family, but Damn it all too hell I LOVE THIS JOB, THIS LIFE. I wouldn't trade it for a cushy desk job for a million a year. There are over a million of us in the US and many more in the world if i could go and tell every last one of you that i respect you and call you brother, sister i would so i will say this now, I may be in a little volly dept. in Maine, but every last one of you are welcome in my station, on my truck, on my bus, in my home, just give me a call.

Thank you to all my brothers and sisters,
    With great admiration, respect, and love.

C.R.

Leave a comment:

• firenresq77
    replied
    I don't think I could have explained it like you all have. I've tried before, but couldn't do it........ I'm honored to be a part of the brotherhood and thankful for all my brothers (and sisters) out there..........

Leave a comment:

• FairchildFire
    replied
    Being available anytime, anywhere for anything no questions asked and having the warm glow that comes from knowing that your brothers and sisters trust you enough to rely on you. And knowing it goes both ways.

Leave a comment:

• TillerMan25
    replied
    Brotherhood is when I can walk into an FDNY Firehouse and be asked to stay for Dinner. Or when I go to a firehouse in Long Island for a Firefighter Funeral and be told by the Chief "your money is no good here." Or when my child is sick, I get calls from my friends and co-workers asking me if there is anything they can do. Or when my Chief lets me sit in his office and vent for an hour if he notices I am in a bad mood. Or when I make a mistake on a run and I come back to the station and ask the senior Career Firefighter to help me to not make the same mistake again, and he sits down with me, not as a volunteer, but as a fellow firefighter and shows me the correct way.

It's a big world out there people, love each other and continue the traditions our predecesors left us with.

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    ...One more point I want to bring up... The Best compliment you can give another firefighter is to call him BROTHER. I know I just don't use that term lightly...

Leave a comment:

• 4bugles
    replied
    What a question. Here's my version:

I always thought I knew what brotherhood meant. Just like everyone else, I always threw money into the hat when a brother was down on his luck. I was there when a brother called, whether it was to move a couch or listen to him or just visit while sick. I never left a brother alone inside or anything like that.

Then in August of 2002, I had the opportunity to "experience" brotherhood. Last year I was on vacation when I was rushed to the hospital with pancreatitus. It was bad enough that I was taken by helicopter to a level I center, where I was operated on twice, and remained in a coma for a month. The doctor's gave me only a slim chance of survival. Of course the doctor's didn't understand the power of the brotherhood! During my three month stay at the hospital, and four more of recovery at home, I was visited or called almost daily by my brothers and sisters in the fire service. The ICU nurses gave up trying to keep it to close family only, because every one of them would simply tell them that they were my brother/sister! Also during that time, my brothers and sisters were donating sick leave to keep my checks coming (I also found out that they had to go over the City Manager's head to get this done, and it caused quite a stir for them). There were constant offers to cut my grass, fix things around the house etc. It was a very reassuring to know that my family was being cared for while I couldn't.

There was so much being done, I could never mention it all or ever repay them. I always knew that I would do whatever I could for a brother/sister, and I knew they would do the same. But to actually experience the brotherhood in action is an awsome thing. I hope no one ever has to go through that, but if you do, rest assured, the brotherhood will take care of you!

That's brotherhood to me!

Leave a comment:

• AFD368
    replied
    Brotherhood

BROTHERHOOD

Standing up for someone, who would also stand up for you.

Believing in someone, who also believes in you.

Listening to someone, who will listen to you.

Consoling someone, who would also console you.

Being there for someone, who would also be there for you.

Protecting someone, who would also protect you.

Leave a comment:

• Lewiston2Capt
    replied
    I think the Lt summed it up nicely for me. I have witnessed the brotherhood on multiple occassions. Unfortunately, I have seen it at LODD funerals, Memorial Services, and non-LODD funerals, I have also seen it in times of joy, such as when we get together for our annual installation dinner, and after a job well done. We work hard together, and we play hard together.
    It truely is hard to put into words without using the word you are trying to define.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X