What does it all mean to you??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it all mean to you??

What IS the Brotherhood to you??? What does it mean? How far does it go?

For me, it is much like my allegience to this country and the Marine Corps.

Nowadays I would probably list my allegience in this order; God, Corps, Country, Fire service.

It all comes down to keeping the faith. Faith in your brothers. Faith in your mission.

How about you??
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

For me the BROTHERHOOD is someone who made a hallway or two. Someone that feels the rush of doing a good job. Someone who feels the pain I feel. Someone I can depend on in bad times no matter what's happening. Someone who I can talk to and understands what I'm talking about without having to say it in words.

9-12-01 showed the World what The Brotherhood means to us...
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-02-2003, 12:35 PM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

BROTHERHOOD is a common bond that no other person can share with you, no one else can understand or relate to certain things the way your brothers and sisters can. It's having your back watched when needed, and knowing that it's being watched and NEVER doubting it. Of having someone there when you need, whether it's in good times or when you just need to vent or have someone listen. The mutual respect we all have for the job, and for those that have gone before. The appreciation we all have for the dangers in what we do. It's looking out for one another, and knowing without a shadow of a doubt when there's trouble you are being saved or are saving someone else, no questions, no strings........ just cuz it's your brother (sister) It's knowing that at any time, in any place on this Earth, I can walk in and have a place to stay and a meal and a friend.......... No matter what you need, BROTHERS AND SISTERS are there, no matter the time of day or night, no matter the size of the need..... they always are and always will be there. We always answer the call, with even more heart for one of our own

This is so hard to put into words, the feelings in one's heart. How can you explain something this big? It's even harder for me at this time because I have some familial things going on that will require an amount of strength and faith that I'm not sure I have. I'm smart enough to know I need to talk to someone and have taken the steps to do so. So it would be really cool if all you brother's and sister's out there could keep my family and I in your thoughts. Thanks......... THIS is the brotherhood.
      Last edited by PFire23; 10-02-2003, 12:15 AM.
      To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

Wayne, tough question........but a good one. Brotherhood.......what it means to me,
        I am certainly closer to members of our department more so than others, but if ANY of them you really ask for help I WOULD be there. It means going the distance, completing the task. I agree ALOT with Pfire, it is a bond that most dont understand and will never get to know the bond that there is to those you are close to on your department. It also is the brother you could call @ 0300 and they would be there NO questions asked. I have a few, and they know who they are, some of them are people I would have NEVER imagined had it in them, which goes back to the whole word above. This is truly one of the best professions ever, in one month I will celebrate 16 years of service, and havent regretted it yet. I have seen some S*&T and those that have shared this with me...........Ray....I know that look. To my extended family here, thanks for all you do, as you are an extension of that word...............
        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Botherhood to me is that fact that no matter what the situation, no matter what the cost, no matter what the danger your brothers will always be there. They know how you feel and are always there when you need them. No matter what we are all a brotherhood, a close group of men and women who would do anything for any one of us. And I'm proud to be a brother to all of you.

code_blue81
          Jeremy Culver
          IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
          www.helpingourown.com
          "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Comment

Brotherhood

What a Brother is;
            Well that is some other firefighter who will be at your side no matter what. They will be their to help you when you need it. They will never leave you in a fire. They are going to be right beside you when the #$%^ hits the fan.

The Brotherhood is a group of public safety professionals that would do all the above and more. They would never see a fellow "brother" get messed with by anyone who is their to abuse and misuse the dedication that we have.
            AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Brotherhood is a group committed to a common goal, with the inherent dangers involved. It’s the invisible bond that knows no borders. It’s the uniform we wear. It’s the lump in our throat when we hear children sing the National Anthem, bagpipes playing or hear of a LODD.

Brotherhood is the way we criticize the actions, inactions or reactions of another brother. It’s also the way we defend that same brother if someone outside our ranks tries to do the same.

Brotherhood is the way we view a person who wears a blue T-Shirt with a Maltese Cross on it. First we size them up and figure out if they’re a firefighter or a Buff. Then we figure out where he’s from. Then we acknowledge him/her with a simple head bob.

Brotherhood is not limited to brothers. It includes our sisters.

Brotherhood is the way we all revere our flag.

And of course, It’s the feelings that can’t be put to words. The drive we can’t recognize or control. Whether we were born to do this, grew into it or were just lucky enough to give it a try. We became hooked into a family and like families do, we fight side by side and we fight head to head. Don’t mess with my Brother! That’s my job!

Comment

I think the Lt summed it up nicely for me. I have witnessed the brotherhood on multiple occassions. Unfortunately, I have seen it at LODD funerals, Memorial Services, and non-LODD funerals, I have also seen it in times of joy, such as when we get together for our annual installation dinner, and after a job well done. We work hard together, and we play hard together.
                It truely is hard to put into words without using the word you are trying to define.
                Shawn M. Cecula
                Firefighter
                IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Brotherhood

BROTHERHOOD

Standing up for someone, who would also stand up for you.

Believing in someone, who also believes in you.

Listening to someone, who will listen to you.

Consoling someone, who would also console you.

Being there for someone, who would also be there for you.

Protecting someone, who would also protect you.
                  "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
                  Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
                  from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
                  I.A.C.O.J. Member

Comment

What a question. Here's my version:

I always thought I knew what brotherhood meant. Just like everyone else, I always threw money into the hat when a brother was down on his luck. I was there when a brother called, whether it was to move a couch or listen to him or just visit while sick. I never left a brother alone inside or anything like that.

Then in August of 2002, I had the opportunity to "experience" brotherhood. Last year I was on vacation when I was rushed to the hospital with pancreatitus. It was bad enough that I was taken by helicopter to a level I center, where I was operated on twice, and remained in a coma for a month. The doctor's gave me only a slim chance of survival. Of course the doctor's didn't understand the power of the brotherhood! During my three month stay at the hospital, and four more of recovery at home, I was visited or called almost daily by my brothers and sisters in the fire service. The ICU nurses gave up trying to keep it to close family only, because every one of them would simply tell them that they were my brother/sister! Also during that time, my brothers and sisters were donating sick leave to keep my checks coming (I also found out that they had to go over the City Manager's head to get this done, and it caused quite a stir for them). There were constant offers to cut my grass, fix things around the house etc. It was a very reassuring to know that my family was being cared for while I couldn't.

There was so much being done, I could never mention it all or ever repay them. I always knew that I would do whatever I could for a brother/sister, and I knew they would do the same. But to actually experience the brotherhood in action is an awsome thing. I hope no one ever has to go through that, but if you do, rest assured, the brotherhood will take care of you!

That's brotherhood to me!
                    ftm-ptb
                    leather forever
                    gateway fools

Comment

...One more point I want to bring up... The Best compliment you can give another firefighter is to call him BROTHER. I know I just don't use that term lightly...
                      ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
                      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                      CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
                      LT. John Ginley Engine 40
                      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
                      FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
                      FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
                      FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
                      FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
                      FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
                      FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
                      FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
                      FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
                      "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
                      *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Brotherhood is when I can walk into an FDNY Firehouse and be asked to stay for Dinner. Or when I go to a firehouse in Long Island for a Firefighter Funeral and be told by the Chief "your money is no good here." Or when my child is sick, I get calls from my friends and co-workers asking me if there is anything they can do. Or when my Chief lets me sit in his office and vent for an hour if he notices I am in a bad mood. Or when I make a mistake on a run and I come back to the station and ask the senior Career Firefighter to help me to not make the same mistake again, and he sits down with me, not as a volunteer, but as a fellow firefighter and shows me the correct way.

It's a big world out there people, love each other and continue the traditions our predecesors left us with.
                        Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Comment

Being available anytime, anywhere for anything no questions asked and having the warm glow that comes from knowing that your brothers and sisters trust you enough to rely on you. And knowing it goes both ways.

Comment

I don't think I could have explained it like you all have. I've tried before, but couldn't do it........ I'm honored to be a part of the brotherhood and thankful for all my brothers (and sisters) out there..........
                            The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                            We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                            IACOJ

Comment

Webster's dictionary defines Brotherhood As:

broth·er·hood :'br&-[th]&r-"hud, noun
                              Middle English brotherhede, brotherhod, alteration of brotherrede, from Old English brOthorr[AE]den, from brOthor + r[AE]den condition -- more at KINDRED
                              1 : the quality or state of being brothers
                              2 : FELLOWSHIP, ALLIANCE
                              3 : an association for a particular purpose
                              4 : the whole body of persons engaged in a business or profession

Note it says Kindred, a band of kindred souls, a fellowship, I know my brothers and that one solo sister in my department, who still continues to call me a little old Jewish lady (joke directed at me), they have my back that they would not leave me behind and i know i would not leave anyone of them behind, i feel a connection to all of you both brothers and sisters, from the EMT who gives me a cup of coco and a wool blanket to warm me up on the step of his bus, to the Leo who carries that gun and that stick to protect me and my brothers and sisters form people who may want to hurt us on a job as firefighters or EMTs, these are my brothers and sisters, the love and honor for them that extend beyond department size, paid, volly, rank, race, religion, sex, etc. That if i mess up someone will be there to give me a hard time for a few weeks and still find some time to help me fix that mistake before it happens again. Visit me when i am sick help me study for an exam, to paint that dog house one summer day, just because he or she wanted too. Having a muster out back with a BBQ and a few beers and a our families.

As it was said by Brother Pfire23" No matter what you need, BROTHERS AND SISTERS are there, no matter the time of day or night, no matter the size of the need..... they always are and always will be there. We always answer the call, with even more heart for one of our own."

Or as TillerMan25 said " Brotherhood is when I can walk into an FDNY Firehouse and be asked to stay for Dinner. Or when I go to a firehouse in Long Island for a Firefighter Funeral and be told by the Chief "your money is no good here." Or when my child is sick, I get calls from my friends and co-workers asking me if there is anything they can do."

Brotherhood such a simple word with an incredible meaning in our line, the pay sucks, we are almost always beat down worn out missing our family, but Damn it all too hell I LOVE THIS JOB, THIS LIFE. I wouldn't trade it for a cushy desk job for a million a year. There are over a million of us in the US and many more in the world if i could go and tell every last one of you that i respect you and call you brother, sister i would so i will say this now, I may be in a little volly dept. in Maine, but every last one of you are welcome in my station, on my truck, on my bus, in my home, just give me a call.

Thank you to all my brothers and sisters,
                              With great admiration, respect, and love.

C.R.
                              "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
                              “It’s like Lego’s for firefighters.” Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
                              "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X