cameras on scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cameras on scene

You all have probably talked about this before...

I'm thinking about putting a disposable camera
    in my bunker coat and I was wondering whats all right
    to take pictures of? I'm not going to publish them
    or sell or anything like that, just put them in a photo
    album. Any advice?

I thought about this too...

Then I thought a little more. If it's in your pocket on an interior attack, there's a fair chance it will be no good when you come out. If you get good pics in the early stages of a fire, the investigators, at least the ones in my area, can and will take them for evidence, whether arson is suspected or not. I've gotten some good scrapbook-type pics at training sessions. I'm not suggesting anything one way or another, just offering some things to think about.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Comment

Hey ElSwappo

Put the camera in the inside of your jacket and get some good pictures. I haven't seen the inside of a good burner in a long time.

P.S. get to bed we might have one tonight

Comment

Ha,Ha,Ha I hope so!

Comment

fight the fire .................ditch the camera.......watch out for HIPAA !
          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

1. HIPAA probably doesn't apply if it's outside in public.

2. True story. I am investigating an arson fire at a diner. I see a FF in the turnout gear of the mutual aid co. in my scene taking pictures. He tells me that he taking training photos. OK, I say. The next day, the photos are on the front page of the paper with a description of how the fire was set. He really was a FF, but he neglected to tell me that he was also a press photog. It will never happen to me again. Once I arrive, all cameras are outside the fire lines.

3. Early photos should be shared with the investigators. Scene photos should not be taken if the fire is going to be investigated.

4. Don't be afraid to publish the photos. Just make sure your FD knows about it and they have been cleared by the investigators.
            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

cameras

We carry a camera on our first due apparatus to take pics and then post them on our webpage as kinda of an action thing and then use the pics in an end of the year slide show. Following hippa completely
              Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
              www.tvfd.org

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I've been on a call and wished I'd had a camera. There are all sorts of once-in-a-career events that, properly photographed and documented, would be invaluable for training.

I still don't carry a camera, but we have waterproof disposables on every engine now.
                ullrichk
                a.k.a.
                perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

The chiefs in my FD carry digital cameras in their vehicles, and on our Rescue-engine, and ambulance we have instant cameras. I used to carry a disposable in my gear mostly for the purpose of taking pictures of anything I might see while in the early stages of a fire. I am not to good with descriptions so I thought if I take a pic, those who need to see can see basically what I saw. The reasoning behind the disposable cameras on our rescue and ambulance is for MVAs where we can take pictures of the vehicle and turn them over to the hospital when we bring the patient in. It is easier to hand them pics and say this is how the car looked rather than trying to describe it to a doctor or nurse who may have no idea what you are talking about.
                  Shawn M. Cecula
                  Firefighter
                  IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Cameras

Our Department carries a Poloroid on the Rescue, as the area hospital likes pics of cars involved in MVA's to help in diagnosing possible injuries of the MVA victims.

We usually also have an older member of our Department who csrries a disposable camera who shows up to the scene(s) of fire incidents.
                    I also, sometimes, have my digital camera in my truck, and grab it once in a while if I make the apparatus.
                    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
                    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
                    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
                    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Comment

I just started keeping one of those waterproof disposables in my gear, it seems like it is a lot more rugged than a standard one. I am not to worried about the investigators, as my assitant chief is also the assisnat fire marshall and handles all the investigations within our district, as long as he gets a copy of all of them he is happy.

On a related note, our brand new heavy rescue, being used more as a combination service/rescue, has a camera built into the roof that from the officers seat can be swiveld 360 degrees around and move up/down and zoom in, and shows on a color screen in the cab. We are going to pull it down and check and see how difficult it will be to interface it with a recording device, most likely a laptop with a big hard drive dedicated to just recording teh images if it can be done. Should make for some great after action reviews, training films, andstill shots.

The truck was a demo, so it had every option they offered already on it, I doubt we would ahve every gotten a camera like that otherwise!

Comment

-- Digital camera in the Rescue. It's a Sony Mavica, so the nice part is we pop out the 3.5" floppy and the Doc at the hospital can pop it into any standard PC and see the photos. And yes, we've done that.

-- Old Camcorder also kept in the Rescue.

-- Disposables in several of our "first due" trucks.

-- I don't take photos of our own incidents since I'm usually "doing." But I have buffed a few fires that were quick & convient for me to get to. I even handed a roll of film over to the State Fire Marshals office for one arson fire in a string of them a neighboring town was experiencing -- I just happened to be driving by and our dispatch center was blowing tones as I was putting the truck in park. Had my camera and got shots of the crowd & the old barn. Wasn't much of anything I could do as an invidual firefighter, but at least I could record the scene for the Fire Marshal.
                        IACOJ Canine Officer
                        20/50

Comment

We have poloroids in the squads. We also have an official photographer who shows up on lot and lots of calls. He is the father of one of our FF and retired so hes around alot. We also have a video camera and recorder mounted on our Command truck we take alot of video and use it for after action and training.
                          AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

On my Volle Dept we have an older fellow who really wants to help out, but has some "health issues". He is our photographer, uses his own digital camera, makes up prints for our scrap book.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain5505
                              Hey ElSwappo
                              Put the camera in the inside of your jacket and get some good pictures. I haven't seen the inside of a good burner in a long time.
                              Well, now that you've got permission from the Captain.......

Good advice from everyone. YES...Share them with investigators. Let's suppose you're having a series of suspicious fires. Any photos showing flame color, intensity, location and smoke color....many things could be valuable clues. Also, don't be afraid to point the camera AWAY from the flames. Take a few frames of the crowd. WHY you ask?

Photos of onlookers might show "just who you're looking for."

Once the investigation commences...Leave it up to them, unless you are requested to assist. If you had taken photos before they arrived...inform them. They'll probably want to take custody of the film.
                              Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                              Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                              On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...