Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paramedic Killed in Halifax

Canadian Press

At least one death was blamed on the storm. An ambulance driver was killed when a tree was uprooted and crushed the vehicle as it was responding to a call near the Camp Hill Hospital in Halifax. The ambulance was no more than 10 metres from the hospital entrance when the tree fell and the vehicle's emergency lights were still running when rescuers arrived.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Paramedic LODD

The paramedic has now been identified as John Rossiter, age 31, may he rest in peace. It appears the tree fell on the drivers compartment. See attached link.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154

Comment

Rest in peace John.

September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
      IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
      Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Update

This is a more detailed story from the Halifax Herald.

Paramedic killed by falling tree

By Jennifer Stewart

A 31-year-old paramedic is dead after fierce winds blew a tree onto his ambulance in Halifax during Monday morning's head-on bout with hurricane Juan.

John Michael Rossiter was riding in the back of the ambulance when a tree in Camp Hill Cemetery uprooted and fell onto the roof of the emergency vehicle just after 1 a.m.

Emergency Health Services confirmed the man was killed instantly.

Jean Spicer, public relations officer for EHS, said his family has been notified and will meet with EHS members in the next few days for support.

She confirmed that the victim was from outside the province.

The ambulance was on duty when the accident occurred at the corner of Veterans Memorial Lane and Summer Street, across from the Camp Hill Veterans Memorial Building.

Ms. Spicer said the ambulance was not responding to a call and no patients were on board.

Stephen Cooke was driving home when he came upon the accident.

He said it was extremely windy and at least one other tree was down in the area. "The back of the ambulance was crushed in by the weight of the tree," he said.

"All four wheels weren't on the ground, it was kind of tipped up onto the driver's side. The tree had just pushed it up."

He said the branches had smashed the front windshield and were blocking the passenger door.

The driver's side was unobstructed and the victim's partner escaped unharmed.

Mr. Cooke said the driver was trying to open the back of the vehicle and a police officer was climbing through the passenger window when he arrived at the scene.

"I didn't see inside or anything like that, but I could tell something was pretty wrong because the policeman looked pretty agitated," he said.

"There was a huge tree on the northwest corner, it had blown over. But it had blown away from the road. Once the (second) tree fell over, the whole road was blocked off."

Edgar Doull, the director for the Canadian division of the International Union of Operating Engineers, said emergency service workers are often in danger when they do their job.

"If you take a look at anyone in firefighting, paramedics or any emergency services, they're always putting themselves at risk in similar situations," he said in a phone interview from Kentville.

He refused to comment directly on the paramedic's death.

Comment

I extend my condolences to the family and friends of John Michael Rossiter. May our brother rest in peace!
          Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
          Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
          On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

As a former EMT/Paramedic and Firefighter/Dispatcher in Yarmouth, N.S.
            I pass on my sympathy and condolences to the Emergerncy Health care workers and partners of John in Halifax.

Also, sympathy and condolences to John's family in Newfoundland

Comment

John's father, Bill is a retired Captain from out Dept
              A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

I was talking to some paramedics from my town that knew John. Tonight was his wake, the funeral home still had no power, so the Halifax fire departments support unit hooked their generator up so that they could have power.
                The views mentioned here do not represent the departments that I work for

IACOJ

Comment

Mine and my families condolences to the family, friends, and co-workers of John.
                  On a related note, a friend of mine has contacted the local media in Halifax and explained to them that the term 'ambulance driver' has not been a recognized title in North America for over 30 years. He further explained that the proper terminology today would be EMT or Paramedic. He further explained that the appropriate title should be attached to the individuals concerned in the future. 'Ambulance driver'...isn't that right up there with 'Grab n' Go'?

Pat

Comment

I saw a media release from I believe the Canadian Paramedic Association. At the bottom of the release it also reminded members of the media that the current title for the job was not "Ambulance driver" but Paramedic. We've been working for 20 years to get rid of that term.....hard to believe that some are still using it.

My condolences to the family and co-workers.
                    IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X