3/4 length boots????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 length boots????

I mean this question to be in the most professional manner and do not mean to poke fun or **** off anyone:

Why does the City of Chicago Fire Department still wear 3/4 length boots? Is it strictly tradition or is it something else? Maybe someone from CFD can enlighten me.

Just something I have always wondered why they never upgraded to bunker pants. Even FDNY upgraded. Thanks!

Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Although not from there, (and since this has been brought up before), I will say that Boston and and I believe Chicago did a study of burn injuries vs 3/4 boots and bunker pants. If I recall correctly there wasnt that much of a difference and it was then optional for members to choose what they wanted to wear. Certainly the ensemlbe would be much lighter minus the pants. Personly having worn both I have to say I like the pants. Anyone else please clairify my misposting ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

If it walks like a duck........

Comment

If it walks like a duck, will it have 3/4 length boots on?

*Mark
        FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Ell-Tee you calling me a duck ?
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Comment

Boston did the heat stress study and allows guys to wear 3/4 now. A CFD friend of mine told me that they haven't gotten around to switching yet because they are still looking into it.
            One thing worth mentioning is that CFD doesn't have a higher rate of burn injury then other big cities. Sure every once in a while someone gets burnt and pants might have prevented it. but the deaths from heart attacks are lower also. Are they related? More study would be needed to say for sure.

I have worn 3/4 and would like to go back or have the option.

Comment

Thank you ADSNWFLD !
              RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
              LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Comment

Yes,I can duck walk

I'm not really sure what Artie's poking at butI spent the first third of my career in 3/4s.If you didn't like roasted knees,you learned to "duck walk".That being said,in the summer months I would LOVE to go back to 3/4s.I think you had a better "feel"of untenable conditions than you do totally encapsulated.I do know that we could work longer without rehabbing in them.Now I'm old and dated so try not to roast me too bad,I'm not suggesting that they are for everyone but I've put out a LOT of fire in a 3/4 boot without injury.Common sense was a bit more plentiful back then and I'd like to call it a kinder/gentler time even though we were working our tails off.Government intervention is NOT always a good thing.Be interesting to see the results of the study when they finish it up.T.C.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I don't want to turn this into a debate about boots or bunkers but I was in boots and a long coat when I was an explorer at 3 different houseburns 13 years and it sucked. My knees did get hot. Not to metion my pants got just black. Yes, to those who know about explorer stuff, all I can say is that it was a long time ago and things were different back then. I guess I have been raised on bunkers and just feel weird without them.

I am also curious about the study. Thanks for the info.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.
                  Jason Knecht
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                  Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                  http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                  EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Do you guys think that they will ever let firefighters make their own decision on what they want to wear 3/4's or bunkers? Or will it stay the way it is now?

Comment

I would like to have the option of 3/4's for MVAs, car fires, etc.

I would also prefer to have them when I'm stuck being the chauffeur/pump operator.

However, I would not feel comfortable doing interior fire attack without bunker pants. I'd rather have "my boys" fully encapsulated.

Does anybody even sell 3/4's anymore? I've never been able to find them online.
                      FTM-PTB-DTRT

Comment

Servus and Ranger still make them .............and I pretty sure you can buy them @ www.darley.com or whatever the eDarley site is. Hi Moe !
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Comment

Moe, You should be able to buy them from any vendor. I'm not sure who you guys use for your boot/bunker purchases but I believe most of them can get them for you.

They also come in very handy for the visits from all the sales reps........ Sometimes the S*&$ gets pretty deep from all the smack they talk!!
                          The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                          We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                          IACOJ

Comment

Had a set of 3/4's as an explorer with a long coat. Cut them down to regular boot size cause I got bunkers. Hmmmm long black coat with high yellow bunkers and a yellow 770c!
                            I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Re: 3/4 length boots????

Originally posted by Dickey
                              I mean this question to be in the most professional manner and do not mean to poke fun or **** off anyone:

Why does the City of Chicago Fire Department still wear 3/4 length boots? Is it strictly tradition or is it something else? Maybe someone from CFD can enlighten me.

Just something I have always wondered why they never upgraded to bunker pants. Even FDNY upgraded. Thanks!
                              While I am not personally involved in the issue, I am familiar with it. Chicago is in its third evaluation (in about as many years) of bunker gear. The general push is to switch to it, but funding is a primary concern. Outfitting 5000 men with bunkers is roughly a $4.5 million proposition. As we all know, money is not exactly plentiful in most municipal budgets.

As one might also imagine in a large urban FD, there is some disagreement as to which brand/style to go with.

Also, you'll note that 3/4 boots are not part of any NFPA approved protection package. Say what you may about NFPA, but it is certainly the standard on FF safety.
                              My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X