No announcement yet.

Spontaineous Human Combustion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course it is possible, haven't any of you seen that X-Files where the guy can make himself start on fire and not get hurt?
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Comment

was that x-files or [email protected]$$????
      After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong (which I know you will) but spontaneous combustion is caused by "...the natural decomposition of living, or once living, material giving off a by-product of heat."

It sounds possible because humans are "living material" but I think it's a bunch of crap. It's an "X-files" episode for sure.

Keep your head down, your powder dry, and your body cool!
        Jason Knecht
        Firefighter/EMT
        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Complete and total fantasy.
          While I agree, I remember one incident that REALLY got me wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by E229Lt

While I agree, I remember one incident that REALLY got me wondering.
            Twice in one day?
            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

The physical possibilities of spontaneous human combustion are remote. Not only is the body mostly water, but aside from fat tissue and methane gas, there isn't much that burns readily in a human body. To cremate a human body requires a temperature of 1600 degrees Fahrenheit for about two hours. To get a chemical reaction in a human body which would lead to ignition would require some doing.
              ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
              LT. John Ginley Engine 40
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
              FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
              FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
              FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
              FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
              FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
              FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
              "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
              *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

'The scientific explanation -- the 'wick effect' -- proposes that in certain rare circumstances the human being can burn like a candle.'

In August 1999, BBC TV broadcast in prime time a film in its prestigious science series 'QED', entitled Spontaneous Human Combustion.

The film was ambitious both as science and as reporting, for it set out to debunk once and for all the centuries-old belief that, under some mysterious circumstances, humans can catch fire and be almost entirely consumed, even in the security of their own homes.

Why is this an example of pseudoscience?

Almost incredibly, the reporters who made the film and the scientists who took part in it, chose to ignore completely the fact that there are a number of recent, well-documented cases of people who have experienced or witnessed spontaneous human combustion at first hand and who lived to tell what happened. And the first-hand experience of these witnesses completely contradicts the key features of the 'scientific explanation' in every detail.

First, there is the case of Fire Brigade Commander John Stacey, called to a house fire in Lambeth in 1967, who discovered Robert Bailey in the early stages of combustion and burning from inside his abdomen 'like a blow torch' in a derelict house where gas and electricity had been turned off and where there were no other sources of ignition.

LINK TO ARTICLE HERE
                www.euro-firefighter.com

Comment

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                  The physical possibilities of spontaneous human combustion are remote. Not only is the body mostly water, but aside from fat tissue and methane gas, there isn't much that burns readily in a human body. To cremate a human body requires a temperature of 1600 degrees Fahrenheit for about two hours. To get a chemical reaction in a human body which would lead to ignition would require some doing.

While the body does require EXTREME amounts of heat to burn down to almost nothing, it does not necessarily have to be 1600 degrees F, nor does it necessarily have to be burned for a 2 hour period. It depends on body mass, weight and gender. Larger bodies and those with a higher fat content are done first BEFORE the cremator is at it's highest temperature. This is because at a higher temp. the body may not burn properly if the heat is too high. The outside of the body can sear (when the fatty tissues burn), leaving other portions untouched. Some bodies can be done in just a little over an hour, while others can take over 2, it depends on the body make up. All bodies are put in the cremator inside a box, be it a casket or some other container; this is so the flames ignite the container before the body, causing a more even burn. It's a very interesting process to watch from start to finish, and I used to question why people would want to be burned upon dying, now I don't.

Just a side note, if you think we have warped sense's of humor, go hang around a guy doing cremations all alone in the funeral home late at night We took someone in one night and we were having a coffee with the guy before we left to go do another pick up, he opened the cremator to check on the status of the body, and there was a small lump full of flame near the frontal portion of the cremator. He looked at me and said "See that lump right there?" I nodded; then he said "That's your brain ON fire
                  To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

This is a constant problem for PFire23. She must be ever vigilant against this possiblity, because SHE'S SO DAMN HOT!!
                    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

From Batt18's link.

The case of Jean Lucille Saffin

In September 1982, a mentally handicapped London woman, Jeannie Saffin aged 61, burst into flames while sitting on a wooden Windsor chair in the kitchen of her home in Edmonton. Her father, who was seated at a nearby table, said he saw a flash of light out of the corner of his eye and turned to Jeannie to ask if she had seen it. He was astonished to find that she was enveloped in flames, mainly around her face and hands.

"Psyhcos dont explode when sunlight hits them, I dont care how f'n crazy they are!"- George Cloony in the movie Dusk Till Dawn

There is undeniably strange stuff that goes on in the world, but there has to a logical explanation, right?

Maybe its funner to be left in the dark about such things.
                      -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
                      -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Comment

I've seen plenty of fire officers spontaneously combust and melt-down

Not only does that explain some incidents that start off being run on pucker factor, it provides a convient excuse when you just sprayed the Captain...Damn Capt, I swear I saw you smoking...
                        IACOJ Canine Officer
                        20/50

Comment

Ironically, this was a topic my fire science professor lectured on this week. In theory, it is possible. If I remember correctly…

The natural process which causes matter to heat is oxidation. Oxidation is a form of combustion. “Combustion is a self-sustaining chemical reaction yielding energy or products that cause further reactions of the same kind.” The energy is, of course, heat. Most self heating reactions are usually too slow to notice (such as rusting), however if the heat is not allowed to dissipate, such as in a grain bin, the built up heat can cause the matter’s fuel gasses to ignite, therefore causing further reactions of the same kind. So, for this to happen a human must oxidize so fast, the created heat cannot dissipate into their surroundings, the heat must decompose the flesh by pyrolysis, and there must be enough heat to ignite the fuel gas.

It makes sense in my head. I hope I didn’t miss something.

You may want to check out the fourth edition of Essentials of Fire fighting, pages 40-46

Comment

The body is 75% water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ffexpCP
                              Ironically, this was a topic my fire science professor lectured on this week. In theory, it is possible. If I remember correctly…

The natural process which causes matter to heat is oxidation. Oxidation is a form of combustion. “Combustion is a self-sustaining chemical reaction yielding energy or products that cause further reactions of the same kind.” The energy is, of course, heat. Most self heating reactions are usually too slow to notice (such as rusting), however if the heat is not allowed to dissipate, such as in a grain bin, the built up heat can cause the matter’s fuel gasses to ignite, therefore causing further reactions of the same kind. So, for this to happen a human must oxidize so fast, the created heat cannot dissipate into their surroundings, the heat must decompose the flesh by pyrolysis, and there must be enough heat to ignite the fuel gas.

It makes sense in my head. I hope I didn’t miss something.

You may want to check out the fourth edition of Essentials of Fire fighting, pages 40-46
                              Despite the fact that the body is mostly water, how and why would a human just begin to oxidize? Heay dissipation?....What about a person suffering from heatstroke? The body can't get rid of heat fast enough. Why don't these people burst into flames?

And wait...maybe we should start to blame every "undetermined" wildland fire on spontaneously heating deer! Every house fire on a spontaneously combusting domestic pet! No pets? Mice!

Maybe you can choose to ignore the science of this farce, but this has never, ever, ever been documented SCIENTIFICALLY.
                              PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

There are plenty of documented cases of this happening. Proof of this is found in the movie Good Morning Vietnam. Were all of you born after 1968?

Well, thank you, Roosevelt. What's the weather like out there?

"It's hot! Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking."

Well, tell me what it feels like.

"Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It's that hot! Do you know what I'm talking about?"
                                Stay Safe

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X