Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keysim331
    replied
    I contribute to the PAC fund locally and nationally. I'm paying someone to help me keep the job I love, keep me safe, take care of me when I retire, and if something happens to me on the job I am paying someone to take care of my family.
    If you don't like it shut your pie hole, get out and form your own organization and leave ours alone to do their job. IAFF Proud

Leave a comment:

• FireLt1951
    replied
    Sounds like a cliche but it's absolutley true.

"UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL"

E229Lt
    You're right on the money with your posts.

Leave a comment:

• Kobersteen
    replied
    The poll

You know what I find unbelievable? The fact that 6% of the 33 people that have responded to the poll so far say that they never support the IAFFs politics.

One question: How can you say that with a clear head and still be a member of the fire service? Paid or volunteer, urban or rural, young or old, you must admit that some of the candidates that the IAFF has supported, you do also.

'Never' is a pretty strong word. I am one of the ones that doesn't always agree with the IAFFs selection, but I totally understand that their choices have the firefighters issues on the front burner.

I would expect nothing less from my union.

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    I agree with e40fdnyL35... The union may not be perfect..(but none of us are) and they are a critical factor in a lot of benefits and changes made in the fire service.

Do I agree with all of their tactics and political clout in terms of certain issues? No I do not....

Would I join the IAFF local if we had one in my department...Absolutely! I can say absolutely despite a bad bad bad experience that I had in my old department with the IAFF Local. It seemed their major issues were:
    1) Where were we drinking after the meeting?
    2) Who was going to the next convention?
    3) When were we having another IAFF picnic or party?
    4) Attempting to continually discredit the volunteers because they thought "this is the way to get us shift work!"
    5) To go along with #4 What can we do to **** off Administration now?

You see...I worked in a large combination department where the career staff (at that time)worked monday-friday, no holidays or weekends and the very strong volunteer system supplemented us and ran the show in our off time. They were so strong that when the IAFF failed in their argument to avert layoffs in the early 90's of about 2 dozen people, the volunteers came forth and offered to supplement funding for those positions and the positions were saved. Yet the union leadership continued at that time was on a mission to destroy the volunteer system. When I became an officer I quit the IAFF (at that time there was a ruling in the jurisdiction that did not allow officers to participate). Now their leadership has changed over the years and they have a great relationship with the volunteers and administration and now the volunteers are actually asking the county to give additional staffing 24/7.

Just goes to show that if we all work together we will make more progress.

Before anyone slams me around......I would clarify my stance by saying that YES....I realize that not all IAFF leaderships are like that. I can see a tremendous difference in Florida in the way that the IAFF works.

Leave a comment:

• Duffman
    replied
    I think E229lt has the right idea. I have voted in both parties primary elections in the past. I chose to do so based on not only what could be gained, but what could be lost.

Not everyone can be shoe horned into one party or the other. I agree with my union. I vote pro firefighter. I vote for what will be best for my family as I see it. I support my union!

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    OVER %50 percent of IAFF members were registered Republican
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

I am one of those registered Republicans. This gives me the vote in the primary of the party, I feel, has the most negative impact on my career.

Years ago, the GOP held most of the elected positions in my area. Again, the reason I registered as a Republican.

You like collective bargaining and overtime? I do. Do you know which Republicans crossed the floor to defeat Dubbya's bill to eliminate overtime?

Just $.02 from a registered Republican, voting Democrat.

Leave a comment:

• hfd66truck
    replied
    They can lobby without endorsing any one candidate over another.

It is hypocritical to stand up for one thing and align youself with an organization that endorses someone with the exact opposite views. It does not matter if the candidate is Democrat or Republican. What matters are all of the issues and whether you can sleep at night knowing that the man your union bought has you or your wallet in his mind.
    Sure they can lobby without endorsing a candidate, and when the guy that endorses them ask them to vote a different way, thats how they will vote. I am not saying that i love the system, but its the only game in town. You support the candidates you feel are going to best represent you and your organization. If you personally have such a deep inner conflict between who you support and who the IAFF supports, then you are going to have to make a decision. Your personal beliefs, or the greater good of the Union.

As I said before, you may find another Union that will represent your local, but chances are if they are labor - they are gonna be "left leaning".

knowing that the man your union bought has you or your wallet in his mind.
    If your Union "bought", read supported him then I would think he would do his best to represent the interests of the Union. Along with his other obligations to other supporters. But the key is that the Union, aka a majority of it membership, is being represented - represented on issues that affect the Union and its worked.

Dave
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 09-26-2003, 07:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shasco
    replied
    Either choose a position and political friends like a man and support them or sit on a fence like a girl and stay out of the way. There are groups out there who would benefit greatly from ridding themselves of having to pay you OT, Health benefits and barganing in Good faith.
    I have chosen a position and I am pro-labor. For every one else it was obvious by my looking for a labor union that is not as left leaning as the IAFF.

Represent us to who?
    They can lobby without endorsing any one candidate over another.

It is hypocritical to stand up for one thing and align youself with an organization that endorses someone with the exact opposite views. It does not matter if the candidate is Democrat or Republican. What matters are all of the issues and whether you can sleep at night knowing that the man your union bought has you or your wallet in his mind.

Leave a comment:

• GreatPlainsFF
    replied
    I just saw the IAFF president speak here last week and in his speech he stated that OVER %50 percent of IAFF members were registered Republican.

And as for my two cents. . . I listen to the IAFF's opinion on candidates and I read the newsletter. In the end it is up to me who to vote for and what I decide. I'll say this, I may not support all (or many) of the IAFF's endorsed candidates but I'm in the 90% range on issues such as presumptive cancer, collective bargaining, and other such issues.

Keep lobbying to keep me (and my job) safe and I'll keep paying my dues.

Leave a comment:

• Duffman
    replied
    I want to echo Mikeys statement. The IAFF cannot use your dues to contribute to political campaigns unless you have chosen to participate in FIREPAC via check off (automatic payroll deduction).

Do not confuse the per capita fees etc. that make up your dues with FIREPAC. You don't have to give a dime to FIREPAC if you don't want to.

It is important to remember that many of the issues the IAFF fights for benefit ALL firefighters, not just its members.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Life Ain't Perfect.......

Being From Prince George's County Md, and being a Volunteer, you are expecting a tirade of some kind from me. Right? Wrong, as a Retired career Firefighter who once belonged to a IAFF local, I have had a view of union activities for a long time. The most important thing that the union does for you, is look out for your back. No one else is beating on the doors of Congress to get support for things like a safer workplace, better treatment in wage/hour matters, and other items that make a difference. The one area where the union could do better is in working with ALL other fire service organizations, to seek amiable solutions to our problems. It's unfortunate, but the union AND the other organizations each have a few "My way or No way" people that are impeding progress toward the day when ALL of us can work together. When we ALL get working together, we'll get what we need out of government, not before. Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    So I'm not redundant please read my posts in the following thread:

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=51760
    Last edited by E229Lt; 09-25-2003, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hfd66truck
    replied
    It seems obvious to me that if the IAFF did not exclude half of the nations firefighters with their politics, they could have a much larger membership and be in a better position to represent all of us.
    Represent us to who?

I'll say it again, elect your friends, defeat your enemies. Labor organizations are inherently political. It is the nature of the beast. And as was said, Democrats are typically more supportive of labor. But My State Union endorsed a Republican Governor...and well, he is now the Ambassador to Canada, so much for that.

A labor Union that is not Politically active may as well cease being a labor Union.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    shasco,

I think you are confused. If the Union would refrain from endorsing canidates or involving themselves in politics altogether...then who would the IAFF represent us to???

The fact is the FIRE Grants, Federal LODD benefits, and many other benefits have arisen from the IAFF taking strong positions, picking our political friends and fighting our enemies who would just as soon make you work in a two platoon system for no Overtime!

Pull your head out of the sand and realize we get nothing on our good looks. We have to scratch someones back in order for them to scratch ours. We need friends on Capital Hill, State Houses and Local offices to REPRESENT US! If we don't support them, then they won't support us. Good, Bad or Indifferent that is just how it works There is no free lunch in Washington on either side. Pols or lobbists. If we didn't support canidates we would be worked over by the Inter. City Managers Association, and other groups who rather have all Engines and Trucks Staffed with one man each!

Either choose a position and political friends like a man and support them or sit on a fence like a girl and stay out of the way. There are groups out there who would benefit greatly from ridding themselves of having to pay you OT, Health benefits and barganing in Good faith.

Wake up and stay safe bro

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    What I am looking for is a union that does not endorse candidates
    Good luck on your mandate!!!!!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse