Firefighter Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter Union

Does anyone know of a Union other than the IAFF?
    Yes, absolutely
    32.35%
    Yes, somewhat
    41.18%
    No, not usually
    20.59%
    No, never
    5.88%

Im not a IAFF member, but one thing that I hated was my trade union making election decisions for me and donating my dues money to political campaigns.

Comment

The International Association of Fire Fighters may not be perfect in your eyes BUT it is the ONLY voice to stand up to federal and local government. The IAFF is working hard on health and safety of all firefighters. The IAFF was the first to respond to help out on 9-11-01. Do I agree 100% of the time, no. I agree 99% of the time. WELCOME to my IAFF

UFA Local 94 IAFF Proud Member
      ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
      LT. John Ginley Engine 40
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
      FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
      FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
      FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
      FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
      FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
      FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
      "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
      *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

IAFF PROUD

Sure there are other Unions that represent firefighters. In the Chicago area, there are firefighters represented by the the SEIU (they also represent bus boys and hotel maids)..The Teamsters ( I wont even go there) and Here we have a new player called MAFF which is the Metropolitan Alliance of Firefighters.(who are a rival organization to the IAFF) In Illinois, the AFFI (Associated Firefighters of Illinois) has a very strong PAC and is our state Association for IAFF locals. They base there politics very simply. They support candidates that support our issues. They cannot and will not get involved with other issues. This MAFF group has already caused one local to get itself kicked out of the IAFF.. They didnt realize that you cant belong to two sole and exclusive bargaining agents. Now they want back in the IAFF.... You may not agree with all the politics, but the IAFF is firefighters working for firefighters.
        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

one thing that I hated was my trade union making election decisions for me and donating my dues money to political campaigns.
          There are two issues I have with that statement.

1) NO Union makes election decisions for anyone. That is why we have a democracy. You vote for who you want.

2) Donating money to political campaigns. This has been a major bone of contention in the two IAFF locals that I have been associated with, Local 341 and Local 2068.

The big thing to remeber is that the IAFF is no different than any other 'special interest group' in that they focus and make decisions based on very limited issues. Just like the NRA. Within reason, if a candidate is a major player in supporting Firefighters issues (collective bargaining, PSOB, FIRE Act, etc) and is also in favor of school vouchers and gun control, the support of firefighter issues will take center stage.

Yes, a majority of support goes to Democrats, but they are historically pro-labor and that is what we pay our dues for, someone to support and represent us. But does the IAFF support Democrats solely? No, the IAFF has supported Democrats, Republicans and Independants alike.

Politics is never cut and dry, that is why I, personally, find it very difficult to commit to one political party. I am issue driven, much like my Union.

Sign me,
          (IAFF) Union and Proud!
          Last edited by Kobersteen; 09-25-2003, 10:08 AM.
          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

40/35 said it best....

The one thing I am sure of is that the IAFF has the best interests of the Firefighters at heart. So its "Elect your friends, and defeat your enemies"...and sometimes the enemies of the IAFF may be a candidate that you personally like. So you can complain about the IAFF's politics, but I'll bet that other labor Unions politics aren't much different. Except they may be more partisan than the IAFF.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Kobersteen

The big thing to remeber is that the IAFF is no different than any other 'special interest group' in that they focus and make decisions based on very limited issues. Just like the NRA. Within reason, if a candidate is a major player in supporting Firefighters issues (collective bargaining, PSOB, FIRE Act, etc) and is also in favor of school vouchers and gun control, the support of firefighter issues will take center stage.
              100% true. But I have a choice if I want to join the nra or not, thereby determining where my cash goes. The other reason I am against political contributions you mentioned: gun control. Support of job issues is one thing, but my views of gun control trump my other concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by quint1driver

100% true. But I have a choice if I want to join the nra or not, thereby determining where my cash goes. The other reason I am against political contributions you mentioned: gun control. Support of job issues is one thing, but my views of gun control trump my other concerns.
                You also have a choice about joining the IAFF. And do you know where every candidate you vote stands on every issue?

Comment

Clarification

The IAFF cannot, by law use your dues for The PAC. These are voluntary contributions made by indvidual members. Our Local does use our dues to support our State PAC. However, this was done after the memebership voted unaminously to do so.
                  IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

What I am looking for is a union that does not endorse candidates. Most people are pro labor, but they also have bigger issues. It seems obvious to me that if the IAFF did not exclude half of the nations firefighters with their politics, they could have a much larger membership and be in a better position to represent all of us.

Comment

Most people are pro labor, but they also have bigger issues.
                      I wish you could have been with me during the Legislative Conference some years back. My group was meeting with representatives from the Houston, Texas area. Neither Senator Gramm or Hutchinson would even meet with us and their staff plainly told us, "Well, you know that the Senators do not agree with your positions or your union, but we will pass your concerns along."

Yeah right...
                      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

A Labor Union..WITHOUT politics?

Good luck with that one.
                        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

What I am looking for is a union that does not endorse candidates
                          Good luck on your mandate!!!!!

Comment

shasco,

I think you are confused. If the Union would refrain from endorsing canidates or involving themselves in politics altogether...then who would the IAFF represent us to???

The fact is the FIRE Grants, Federal LODD benefits, and many other benefits have arisen from the IAFF taking strong positions, picking our political friends and fighting our enemies who would just as soon make you work in a two platoon system for no Overtime!

Pull your head out of the sand and realize we get nothing on our good looks. We have to scratch someones back in order for them to scratch ours. We need friends on Capital Hill, State Houses and Local offices to REPRESENT US! If we don't support them, then they won't support us. Good, Bad or Indifferent that is just how it works There is no free lunch in Washington on either side. Pols or lobbists. If we didn't support canidates we would be worked over by the Inter. City Managers Association, and other groups who rather have all Engines and Trucks Staffed with one man each!

Either choose a position and political friends like a man and support them or sit on a fence like a girl and stay out of the way. There are groups out there who would benefit greatly from ridding themselves of having to pay you OT, Health benefits and barganing in Good faith.

Wake up and stay safe bro

FTM-PTB

Comment

It seems obvious to me that if the IAFF did not exclude half of the nations firefighters with their politics, they could have a much larger membership and be in a better position to represent all of us.
                              Represent us to who?

I'll say it again, elect your friends, defeat your enemies. Labor organizations are inherently political. It is the nature of the beast. And as was said, Democrats are typically more supportive of labor. But My State Union endorsed a Republican Governor...and well, he is now the Ambassador to Canada, so much for that.

A labor Union that is not Politically active may as well cease being a labor Union.

Dave

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X