Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dickey
    replied
    In Wisconsin, the maximum time to get from street clothes to SCBA on and working, doing your checks, activating PASS, and everything buttoned, zipped, snapped and covered properly is 2 minutes per the state standard. Really, this is a whole lot of time.

We do theses drills every so often just to practice. If you don't do it, you get rusty. We try to stress to do it slow and methodical at first then slowly decrease your time. It was mentioned before that you will automatically do it faster on a real fire call. If you practice before hand and learn the motions it will be very fast when you need to be. Plus it promotes competition as well.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Leather only on feet and head

Nah 304,I'm post leather hose.We did have some canvas flexible iron pipe however.You know,the hose you can just about bend in a U,nothing tighter?Scotts all my career;First the 1's then the 2A's,now the troops have 2.2 carbon50's.My pack is a wire frame 4.5. A lot to be said for a TIMED DRILL EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.If you don't,you'll find your times creeping up toward the 4-5 min. mark.Accuracy IS important,but with repetition you CAN have accuracy and speed which can have positive outcomes in numerous situations.Complacency,bells and smells will be our downfall if we don't PRACTICE and PAY ATTENTION!Everybody looks after everybody ALL THE TIME.T.C.

Leave a comment:

• ADSNWFLD
    replied
    The donning drill should be done on a regular basis so we stay familiar with our stuff and keep an edge. When you are familiar enough to don everything in 1.5 min (gear and pack) you'll do it faster on the fireground without trying.
    If you don't do this on a regular basis, try it with your crew one afternoon. You may be shocked at how long it takes. Our dept did this a few years back and times ranged from under 1.5 to over 4 minutes.

Practice, practice, practice, this is our craft and we should do it well.

Leave a comment:

• Tanker06
    replied
    I can vouch for Rescue101's statement abt the steel bottles. We
    have 5.0's now, with the lightweight composite bottles, but still
    have steel bottles as backup, and in the reserve racks on the
    heavy squad truck.
    If we're using enough air that you have to resort to grabbing
    one of those off the squad, it's definitely not a good thing!

We also use them as the "sign-out" rigs for the probies going
    to the academy. That way, if they're damaged, it's not such a loss
    as a composite bottle would be, plus they have the "bonus"
    of getting to lug around that extra weight. (It makes carrying
    the composite bottles seem so much lighter later on.....)

J

Leave a comment:

• jonesy0924
    replied
    I feel that speed is not the thing to worry about I would rather see someone take a few extra seconds and do it right so when its time too work we are not pulling our brother or sister out cause they screwed up......

I have done the timed pack test when I was using an MSA it took me around 45 seconds to be breathing air witht he 10 sec seal check....

My new department has survive air and I have never tried those...

Leave a comment:

• 33motor
    replied
    I remember steel bottles too, and I can say I don't miss 'em!

As for the donning times. I think they are good, and they usually don't start trying to time folks until they already have a good amount of practice with the turnouts and SCBA's. It's something my Dept does in the academy too. I don't remember what time they have to do it in though. But, we just put it on in the jumpseat anyway. In fact, we do a lot of our dressing in the cab these days, not all, but some. I know we should be seatbelted, and not dresssing, but I'm just telling you how it really is. There are plenty of times that we are fully dressed before we roll.

Leave a comment:

• Fire304
    replied
    Re: Artie dating himself

When I used to shoot competition rifle and pistol my instructor always pounded into me "accuracy makes speed." In other words, if you are accurate you will get faster with practice. If you are just rushing you will make mistakes and fail the test. It is always more important to be on target than fast, but the ablity to combine both shows a level of competancy which can only be gained with practice. As I have gotten older I have found this to be true with most skills such as knot tying, typing, wood working...

Originally posted by Rescue101
    When I started we had... Scott 1's with steel bottles.
    Wow, you are old! LOL Did you use leather hose too? Hehe...

Leave a comment:

• Tanker06
    replied
    Don't know about other states, but here in VA, we have two
    minutes from street clothes to breathing air, hands on your
    head. Thus the "2 minute drill" that your training officer
    or instructor can call out while you're in the midst of
    doing whatever while you're at the station.
    That is to pass the Commonwealth's standard for FFI also.

Our SCBA's are all seat-mounted though, so it's just for
    practice once you're certified. We just gear up in our
    bunkers and jump on. We can strap on our Scotts while we're
    rolling down the street.

I never timed him, but our Master Tech is insanely fast!
    He'd call out "Two minutes!," get geared up and be standing
    there tapping his foot while you're still getting geared
    up. A bit embarrassing, but impressive! :-)

J

Leave a comment:

• jaybird210
    replied
    Regarding speedy donning

My conversations with our state fire marshal's office kinda went along the same lines as those of you who state it's better to get the unit on and ready to go to work correctly than just plain fast.

The SFM wants that time on recruits for three reasons:

1) It demonstrates thorough familiarity with the unit. If you can put it on and be breathing in 60 seconds, you know that thing reasonably well. Remember, it's not just a case of jump into the thing and slap it on; it is a REQUIREMENT of the instructors to ensure that unit is donned correctly: all straps tight, nomex hood in place, no skin showing, PASS activated, no leakys.

2) In the event of a RIT evolution, where you are coming in from rehab, you better be able to get your pack on right now.

3) While packing up en route, you might not have more than a minute or two to get the unit on from a seated position. If you can meet that one minute standard, you shouldn't have a problem getting ready to go to work bouncing down the road.

Again, this is a training standard. Nothing more. We don't expect people to pack up that quickly as a "normal" evolution on a scene. But you never know when they may need to.....

(P.S. weruj, I was hip to your point.)
    Last edited by jaybird210; 09-26-2003, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Well we also practice what we call a Chinese fire drill.On a smoke training evolution put a team "down"activate the RIT and draw another team from rehab.You best be getting dressed in under 2 here,your brothers are "down"!How's that helping the practicality of getting dressed quick.It's a valuable lesson and a good drill.If you hold your people to the standard you will find that once learned,they will pretty much stay on speed and accuracy thru repetition.Doesn't have a place?I guess we're not in agreement on that one.Practicing against the clock as long as it's done safely,can do nothing but improve your operation.We got away from it for several years(we used to pit co.against co.)and operational efficiency suffered.Jump seats are a wonderful thing but I won't see mine for another year.So "quick packing"is a critical performance item here.T.C.

Leave a comment:

• NFD159
    replied
    SCBA Donning Times

We do these time drills also, but practically speaking they're kind of ridiculous. From street clothes to bunker gear on, breathing air just doesen't happen for us. Most of the time you throw your bunker gear on, or most of the way on, jump in the engine(jump seats), get all your pack straps on and bottle on, do a quick function check, and your good to go.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Artie dating himself

229,that space age material was called fibreboard.Had real metal corners and metal buckle latches too.When I started we had 2,yes 2 of them.Scott 1's with steel bottles.My how far we've come.I'd like to see some of todays generation do what we've done in them.A different time and place,but a truly educational and caring time.Many things have changed,not necessarily for the better.45" coats and 3/4 boots too,summers were much more comfortable.NAP's and 1.5 no where near the knockdown of todays 2".You do bring back the memories!T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    210 I wasnt saying that the one minute was wrong .........I had no idea that a state had a standard .........how fascinating ! and I think that some of your expertise had something to do with it !

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    So how do you reolve [SP] the conflicting standards?
    Adapt and overcome!

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    Back in 1976 I held the record of 28 seconds from box to donned and functioning. (All safety checks included)

This, of course, was the old style Scott, breast clip, un-connected dragonfly facepiece, chest mounted regulator, threaded waist strap.

Even the boxes were made of some prehistoric material...not plastic, with metal clips and everything.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X