• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can vouch for Rescue101's statement abt the steel bottles. We
    have 5.0's now, with the lightweight composite bottles, but still
    have steel bottles as backup, and in the reserve racks on the
    heavy squad truck.
    If we're using enough air that you have to resort to grabbing
    one of those off the squad, it's definitely not a good thing!

We also use them as the "sign-out" rigs for the probies going
    to the academy. That way, if they're damaged, it's not such a loss
    as a composite bottle would be, plus they have the "bonus"
    of getting to lug around that extra weight. (It makes carrying
    the composite bottles seem so much lighter later on.....)

J
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

The donning drill should be done on a regular basis so we stay familiar with our stuff and keep an edge. When you are familiar enough to don everything in 1.5 min (gear and pack) you'll do it faster on the fireground without trying.
      If you don't do this on a regular basis, try it with your crew one afternoon. You may be shocked at how long it takes. Our dept did this a few years back and times ranged from under 1.5 to over 4 minutes.

Practice, practice, practice, this is our craft and we should do it well.

Comment

Leather only on feet and head

Nah 304,I'm post leather hose.We did have some canvas flexible iron pipe however.You know,the hose you can just about bend in a U,nothing tighter?Scotts all my career;First the 1's then the 2A's,now the troops have 2.2 carbon50's.My pack is a wire frame 4.5. A lot to be said for a TIMED DRILL EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.If you don't,you'll find your times creeping up toward the 4-5 min. mark.Accuracy IS important,but with repetition you CAN have accuracy and speed which can have positive outcomes in numerous situations.Complacency,bells and smells will be our downfall if we don't PRACTICE and PAY ATTENTION!Everybody looks after everybody ALL THE TIME.T.C.

Comment

In Wisconsin, the maximum time to get from street clothes to SCBA on and working, doing your checks, activating PASS, and everything buttoned, zipped, snapped and covered properly is 2 minutes per the state standard. Really, this is a whole lot of time.

We do theses drills every so often just to practice. If you don't do it, you get rusty. We try to stress to do it slow and methodical at first then slowly decrease your time. It was mentioned before that you will automatically do it faster on a real fire call. If you practice before hand and learn the motions it will be very fast when you need to be. Plus it promotes competition as well.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.
          Jason Knecht
          Firefighter/EMT
          Township Fire Dept., Inc.
          Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
          http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
          EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse