Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wildland: Side Mount Booster reel Vs. Rear mount Booster Reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildland: Side Mount Booster reel Vs. Rear mount Booster Reel?

I am looking for opinions on which is the superior set up for wildland booster line reels on light brush trucks.

Side mount:

http://www.wildlandfire.com/pics/eng/blm2.jpg

Or rear mount:

http://www.wildlandfire.com/pics/eng2/greng.jpg

Sometimes you have to pump and roll, sometimes you have to pull hose...

Which is the best overall approach?

All opinions welcome, experices and insight appreciated as well.

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

side mount/ top mount

One department in our township has a slide in pump and tank set up eith the hose reel mounted atop of the tank and is mounted sideways to allow for the firefighter to pull the hose line from either side of the truck. This also allows more space in the rear of the truck for additional equipment. I hope this is helpful.

Comment

In my opinion I would think it would depend on where the truck would be at a fire. Maybe your on the road and there is a fire in the ditch I would say it would be better to have one the side(s). If it were put in the middle would it be accessable from both sides? From the back you would be able to access it from both sides but it wouldnt be as manuverable I would think. Its probably all on your preference.

Heck if they got the money get one in the back and one on the side.
      Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Comment

Rear mount provides more flexibilty. The top mount as shown in the photo is a pain in rear.

Rear mount is easy to get to, easy to work on, can go to either side or to the rear.
        Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
        "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Comment

None..........

Our next Brush rig will not have a reel. We use 1" forestry line and plan on several preconnected 1" lines of differing lenghths. The savings in money and weight are enough reason to forgo a reel for us. Stay Safe....
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Re: None..........

Originally posted by hwoods
            Our next Brush rig will not have a reel. We use 1" forestry line and plan on several preconnected 1" lines of differing lenghths. The savings in money and weight are enough reason to forgo a reel for us. Stay Safe....
            I cant imagine pump and roll without a booster reel. We have a lot of fast moveing prairie fires which can literaly move 30 miles an hour with our 40-50 mph sustained winds. We either have to jog along the truck with the hose, or we have to ride the "monkey bars" haning on for dear life and trying to hit the fire with the other hand.

Pump and roll with a preconnect 1" line, that would seem to be a pain in the but. We are constantly pulling our and reeling up hose.

Since we have a lot of pump and roll, and since that is our number one wildland safety issue IMO (lots of sprained ankles, and I worry about heart attacks when jogging with a hose) we are looking into wildland monitors.

Like these units.

http://www.grafire.com/prod01.htm

The controler is like this.

They are a bit costly for our budget right now (4500-6200) but that is a small price to pay when you consider the benefits. Hell, you can spend that much in seconds with one busted leg! Beyond the jogging/monkey bar safety issue is the heat stress and smoke inhilation issues. When you are in your airconditioned cab chasing down a prairie fire, you are not breathing in smoke/dirt/dust/soot, and you are relatively comfortable, not wearing 2 layers of wildland PPE, your hotshield, your helmet, a 30 pounp pack, and enduring 100+ degree air temps not to mention that radiant heat.

We are definatly going to look in to this type of equipment. If/When we get these monitors, I am realy leaning toward a rear mont reel. We would not be useing the reel for pump and roll as often, and if a structure defensive role, the rear monted reel helps keep your front end pointed away from the fire and in theory pointed toward a safety zone.

IMO for our situation the best set up would be:

- Front mounted wildland monitor
            - Rear monted 1" booster reel
            - 150 feet of 1.5 inch preconnedt with combination nozzle (for structure stands and for car fires
            - 600 or so of 1" and 1.5" hose with appliances for varios options

I agree that the side mount reels (like pictures in first post) can be a "reel" (pun intended) pain in the but. You have more difficulty positioning the brush truck, when in pump and roll the hose likes to hook on sagebrush and start to unreel, they stick up in the air and are beat to death by low hung branches, they tend to ur ravel eaisier IMO, and they are much harder to reach from the ground.
            -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
            -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

To save money, why not put a manual monitor on the back and sit a guy on the tank to work it, saves on boot leather and sweat.

And it is less likely to malfunction when you need it.
              Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
              Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                To save money, why not put a manual monitor on the back and sit a guy on the tank to work it, saves on boot leather and sweat.

And it is less likely to malfunction when you need it.
                We are realy trying to get away from people riding on the tanks/beds.

It is a major NO NO if you are caught riding cowboy style at a State or Federal run fire. You will be no so politely asked to leave and NEVER come back. It is also a major liability issue when somebody falls off and busts their ***.

IMO I think that a wildland fire engine should be designed so that everything can be reached from the ground, no mokey bars (railings used to ride on the back and crall around), no riding on the tanks, no falling off and busting a leg.

Squirt guns for the front, rear monted reel, no lawsuites or reprimands from our friends in the State lands, BLM, or USFS.

Comment

Different Strokes.......

In the Mid-Atlantic, (if the rain ever stops) our fires are usually in Heavily Wooded settings, quite often a rig will get into a position and stay put for the duration. We often park at a good location, get a supply line from the road, (water is supplied by structural engines and tankers, usually kept out on the road) and pull lines off the rig and go to work. Our Fires often are slow moving horizontally, but burrow deep in the ground, (Prolonged dry spells will see fires two feet deep in places) Thus "Parking" a rig works well for us. Stay Safe....
                  Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                  In memory of
                  Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                  Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

My type 6 engine has the reel mounted atop the tank, just behind the cab. It favors the driver's side, however, I find it just as easy to pull off to the right. With the proper hose guides mounted...it's not difficult to go to the right, left or rear of the engine.

Six of one...half dozen of the other?
                    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

ours is mounted on a frame just above the tank and facing rear.So far we have had no probs with it by going side to side with the help of the hose rollers.The ONLY problem weve seen which really isnt a problem is we have to get up onto the back of the truck to either pull the hose or roll the hose back up but i believe we can fix this problem by relocating the electric rewind button and relocating the nozzle a bit more towards the back of the truck.Presently we are using the 3/4" redline(around 250-300 ft) but ive been thinking on going with the new Reeltex type booster line...its much less cumbersome and much more lightweight.
                      We also carry about 500 ft of 1" FS hose and about 300 ft of the 3/4" FS type hose.

Donna C
                      Fire Chief
                      Bridge Canyon VFD
                      http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/SeligmanAZ

Comment

Our brush rig has a top mounted reel but the nozzle is mounted on the back to be pulled off the back. We also have 3 1" forestry lines preconnected to the pump. These are also deployed off the rear of the vehicle. I think off the rear is more flexible for what you want to do.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.
                        Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse