• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    To "Captain 12"

A few questions for you...

1. Were you there at the dedication of the Memorial to the Vendome 9?

2. Were you in Worcester on December 9th, 2001 for the memorial ceremony for the Worcester 6?

3. Have you ever gone to the IAFF Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service in Colorado Springs?

4. Were you in New York City marching in the pouring rain to Madison Square Garden for the FDNY Memorial in September 2002?

5. Have you ever gone to a LODD funeral for a fallen brother?

I don't know what "Ivory Tower" you are sitting in in Ft. Lauderdale, but it sure as hell does not give you the right to condemn the "Brotherhood" because we/they did not live up to your "expectations".

and for the record... I can answer yes for all five of the questions I posed to you, and like my Brother Steamer, I know many of these people on this thread and these forums on a personal basis!

Leave a comment:

• SFDny15
    replied
    Originally posted by Steamer
    The one thing that you said that I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on..."Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter."

Something else to consider: Maybe dressing up in your uniform and showing up at a memorial service or two doesn't make you a brother either. It's what's in your heart that does that. I'll vouch that each of the people that you've slandered here is a brother in every sense of the word.
    AMEN!!

Leave a comment:

• jaybird210
    replied
    I think you guys are being a little harsh on our new friend. After all, he's already got 12 posts. Why, he's practically a salty old veteran around here.

I'll bet when he first started on the job, he was welcomed into the kitchen the morning of his first shift, and started telling everybody how they did things at his last place. And I'll bet things started changing in Ft. Lauderdale. Who says you need to ahng around and get the feel of place before throwing insults around, and casting dispersions?

Leave a comment:

• Steamer
    replied
    posted by Capt12: I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
    Sorry pal. It wasn't even in the same area as "home". And before I go much further, I'd like to point out that it takes more than going to a public event in uniform on your day off to make you a part of the brotherhood. If a brother (this all includes sister, too, ladies) needs help moving, are you there? If he or she has a tough time dealing with a particularly troubling call, are you there? If a brother is having some problems with some personal issues, are you there? Do you go to dinner or a ballgame with the jakes in your crew once in a while, just to have a good time with them away from the job? How about just telling them once in a while that you appreciate the job they do for you as a Captain? Do you just generally look out for your brothers' general welfare over job issues?

I'm not a babysitter, but I feel it's part of my responsibility as a firefighter to look out for my crew, and I don't necessarily mean from a supervisory standpoint.

There were a lot of us that were in New York to support our friends and brothers during last year's memorial service. If I could get leave from work, I'd be there again this year, just as many others would be. Some of the people you disrespected here were at that memorial. How dare you challenge their committment to the brotherhood.

posted by CaptGonzo: Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes.
    Captain12's response: Thats called doing your job. (we don our Gear) my brother in Law the Plumber don's his plumber uniform every day too. Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter.
    Putting that gear on every day after 9-11 is absolutely honoring those men, not just in New York, but those that die all over the United States and Canada. It would be so much easier to walk away from a job that has seen so many brave people die in the course of doing their duty. Speaking of the other LODD's, do you have memorial services for the other 100 or so firefighters that die in this country each year? Do you attend those?

Why do we all stay? I could make more money as a plumber, and it's a whole lot safer. We stay out of loyalty. Some may be to our communities, but it's in large part out of loyalty to the people we would leave behind to fight the fight that we would be walking away from. That's why we stay. Even knowing that any of us could die on the next call.

September 11, 2001 is emblazened on every heart of every firefighter in the US, Canada, and most of the rest of the civilized world. How do you forget something like that?

I don't need to attend a memorial service to remind me of that day. I've remembered watching 343 of my brothers die at the hands of cowards. I've remembered every day since I saw it on TV. By the way, just so we're clear, I was at work and was out doing my job this year on 9-11.

To accuse the people that have responded to your post regarding the lack of attendance at memorial services in your area, of being out playing golf, is a disgrace. I know these people, some personally. You have no grounds, much less a right, to question their committment to the memories of our brother firefighters.

The one thing that you said that I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on..."Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter."

Something else to consider: Maybe dressing up in your uniform and showing up at a memorial service or two doesn't make you a brother either. It's what's in your heart that does that. I'll vouch that each of the people that you've slandered here is a brother in every sense of the word.

Leave a comment:

• orangebuster
    replied
    Cozmo and Captain Gonzo; Thanks for ensuring that the brotherhood as we know it, is still alive. Captain12, scream at your own house.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• kghemtp
    replied
    Thumbs up to Cozmo. Well said!

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    and yet one more time, the ignore button gets put to use.

Leave a comment:

• cozmosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain12
    I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
    That's uncalled for. You're wound a little too tight to be so new here. Please make note of this and make the proper adjustments.

No one here should judge others on their level of respect for our fallen brothers. Donning your Class As, saluting the flag and listening to politicians doesn't mean your better than someone who chose to remember in another way. If you have issues with how some of your brothers in Florida did things... take it up with them. But please don't come here and tell folks from around the country/world how they didn't act properly on the 9.11 anniversary.

Leave a comment:

• firemedic53
    replied
    I'd rather sit quietly with my shiftmates and reflect on what happened than to stand in some public display with a bunch of publicity-hungry, peanut brained back stabbing public officials who spend 80% of their time trying to screw me. It's time we stopped being used as props for politicians who really don't have our interests at heart. I'm with Gonzo on this (as usual).

Leave a comment:

• kghemtp
    replied
    Captain12

Well THIS guy isn't gonna be very popular here!

I agree that remembrance is very individual, and anyone being part of this profession serves his brothers and pays tribute by being the best he/she can be. We all remember the great loss 2 years ago, and it's always going to be a day of infamy and sacrifice.
    Last edited by kghemtp; 09-22-2003, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PAVolunteer
    replied
    I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
    DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Leave a comment:

• RspctFrmCalgary
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainGonzo: Many rememberances of 9/11 were kept low key this year. The fact is...there were rememberances...

Does one need to have an elaborate ceremony to justify the Brotherhood of Firefighters? Just by thinking about our Fallen Brothers and Sisters, we are keeping the brotherhood alive. Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes

Captain 12...your efforts should be directed at the mutts who want to cut our staffing, our funding, our training to save a buck or tweo on the tax rates and make themselves look good when election day comes. They are the ones who have forgotten September 11th, 2001...the day of infamy for the 21st century.

Just my 3 cents worth..Captains have to pay a little more!

Originally posted by Captain12: I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
    THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR!

Just because someone doesn't go to an official memorial service does not mean they did not have some time of remembrance, be it a candle lit in the window on the 11th, tears cried throughout the week, just sitting quietly in your back yard reflecting or even spending the day with your family holding them close ... they are ALL acceptable methods of honouring those that were killed. Captain Gonzo's post makes no mention of how he personally spent the day. Do you know him personally to know if he lost friends that day? How dare you insult him and everyone else on here that way.

*sigh* Rant off

Leave a comment:

• Captain12
    replied
    Quote from CAPTGonzo

(Does one need to have an elaborate ceremony to justify the Brotherhood of Firefighters? Just by thinking about our Fallen Brothers and Sisters, we are keeping the brotherhood alive.

Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes.)

Thats called doing your job. (we don our Gear) my brother in Law the Plumber don's his plumber uniform every day too.

Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    I think of the friends I lost every day, not just on 9/11.

I'll echo the Duffman's post.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    We Haven't Forgotten........

And we never will. My wife (whose Gold Braid almost outranks mine) and I attended a service on Sept. 11, and we were in good company, about 100 Fire/Rescue people, 30 political officeholders, and lots and lots of just plain folks, all of whom came to respectfully remember, and yes, offer a prayer that such an event never happens again. It was a "low key" affair, only a couple of elected officials spoke, (Briefly) and the whole service was about 45 minutes. Although the press was in attendance, it was not a "Media show" and the whole thing was very dignified, which was appropriate for the occasion. I later saw some TV news clips of a few services that were (in my humble opinion) overdone. Honoring the memories our lost Brothers and Sisters is not something to be done in a "rock concert" format. Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X