Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burns my Buttt

Burns my Buttt

To see all the 911 memorial service’s after 911, and the lack luster performance/turnout for such services.

We are all Brother Firefighters. 24/7 or are you only a firefighter while on your shift.

For the second year in a row the only firefighters to show up at 911 Memorial Services in our area, were the firefighters on shift? Why? We are off anyway. And we should be reflecting on September 11, 2001, I just can’t understand why we can’t take an hour out of our lives to attend a memorial service for our brothers, which we have lost.

Maybe we have lost the whole brotherhood thing, and unless we get paid to show up we will NOT do anything,

We should be glad we are able to stand up and attend a memorial service, and then go home and play with the kids. Instead of on 911 having your wife put flowers on your grave.

Not showing up to services, only shows to others as well as yourself that you have no respect for yourself or your carrier.

Yes it would be nice if you could attend the service at your own station, but even if you attended a service that maybe close to your own home.

These are the same firefighters, which if the shoe was on the other foot, would demand that at their funeral, 200 fire trucks and 15,000 firemen overflowing the church.

What goes around comes around.

Maybe if you can’t understand the Brotherhood concept, you should become a plumber.

Sign over the pearly gates now reads
    “Protected by F.D.N.Y”

God bless them all.

Trying to start something?

These are the same firefighters, which if the shoe was on the other foot, would demand that at their funeral, 200 fire trucks and 15,000 firemen overflowing the church.
    I assure you, firefighters or anyone else for that matter, won't be making any demands at their funeral.

What goes around comes around.
    So, have you made a list of all of those who didn't attend, and will not go to their memorial service if they have one? Two wrongs...

Maybe if you can’t understand the Brotherhood concept, you should become a plumber.

Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

Many rememberances of 9/11 were kept low key this year.
      The fact is...there were rememberances...

Does one need to have an elaborate ceremony to justify the Brotherhood of Firefighters? Just by thinking about our Fallen Brothers and Sisters, we are keeping the brotherhood alive. Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes

Captain 12...your efforts should be directed at the mutts who want to cut our staffing, our funding, our training to save a buck or tweo on the tax rates and make themselves look good when election day comes. They are the ones who have forgotten September 11th, 2001...the day of infamy for the 21st century.

Just my 3 cents worth..Captains have to pay a little more!
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

We Haven't Forgotten........

And we never will. My wife (whose Gold Braid almost outranks mine) and I attended a service on Sept. 11, and we were in good company, about 100 Fire/Rescue people, 30 political officeholders, and lots and lots of just plain folks, all of whom came to respectfully remember, and yes, offer a prayer that such an event never happens again. It was a "low key" affair, only a couple of elected officials spoke, (Briefly) and the whole service was about 45 minutes. Although the press was in attendance, it was not a "Media show" and the whole thing was very dignified, which was appropriate for the occasion. I later saw some TV news clips of a few services that were (in my humble opinion) overdone. Honoring the memories our lost Brothers and Sisters is not something to be done in a "rock concert" format. Stay Safe....
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I think of the friends I lost every day, not just on 9/11.

I'll echo the Duffman's post.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Quote from CAPTGonzo

(Does one need to have an elaborate ceremony to justify the Brotherhood of Firefighters? Just by thinking about our Fallen Brothers and Sisters, we are keeping the brotherhood alive.

Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes.)

Thats called doing your job. (we don our Gear) my brother in Law the Plumber don's his plumber uniform every day too.

Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter.

I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo: Many rememberances of 9/11 were kept low key this year. The fact is...there were rememberances...

Does one need to have an elaborate ceremony to justify the Brotherhood of Firefighters? Just by thinking about our Fallen Brothers and Sisters, we are keeping the brotherhood alive. Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes

Captain 12...your efforts should be directed at the mutts who want to cut our staffing, our funding, our training to save a buck or tweo on the tax rates and make themselves look good when election day comes. They are the ones who have forgotten September 11th, 2001...the day of infamy for the 21st century.

Just my 3 cents worth..Captains have to pay a little more!

Originally posted by Captain12: I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
              THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR!

Just because someone doesn't go to an official memorial service does not mean they did not have some time of remembrance, be it a candle lit in the window on the 11th, tears cried throughout the week, just sitting quietly in your back yard reflecting or even spending the day with your family holding them close ... they are ALL acceptable methods of honouring those that were killed. Captain Gonzo's post makes no mention of how he personally spent the day. Do you know him personally to know if he lost friends that day? How dare you insult him and everyone else on here that way.

*sigh* Rant off
              September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
              IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
                DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Captain12

Well THIS guy isn't gonna be very popular here!

I agree that remembrance is very individual, and anyone being part of this profession serves his brothers and pays tribute by being the best he/she can be. We all remember the great loss 2 years ago, and it's always going to be a day of infamy and sacrifice.
                  Last edited by kghemtp; 09-22-2003, 03:15 PM.
                  ~Kevin
                  Firefighter/Paramedic
                  --^v--^v--^v--^v--
                  Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
                  Dennis Miller

Comment

I'd rather sit quietly with my shiftmates and reflect on what happened than to stand in some public display with a bunch of publicity-hungry, peanut brained back stabbing public officials who spend 80% of their time trying to screw me. It's time we stopped being used as props for politicians who really don't have our interests at heart. I'm with Gonzo on this (as usual).

Comment

Originally posted by Captain12
                      That's uncalled for. You're wound a little too tight to be so new here. Please make note of this and make the proper adjustments.

No one here should judge others on their level of respect for our fallen brothers. Donning your Class As, saluting the flag and listening to politicians doesn't mean your better than someone who chose to remember in another way. If you have issues with how some of your brothers in Florida did things... take it up with them. But please don't come here and tell folks from around the country/world how they didn't act properly on the 9.11 anniversary.
                      sigpic

Comment

and yet one more time, the ignore button gets put to use.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Thumbs up to Cozmo. Well said!
                          ~Kevin
                          Firefighter/Paramedic
                          --^v--^v--^v--^v--
                          Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
                          Dennis Miller

Comment

Cozmo and Captain Gonzo; Thanks for ensuring that the brotherhood as we know it, is still alive. Captain12, scream at your own house.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

posted by Capt12: I am soory, that my post Hit too close to home, I guess you guys were to busy playing golf that day.
                              Sorry pal. It wasn't even in the same area as "home". And before I go much further, I'd like to point out that it takes more than going to a public event in uniform on your day off to make you a part of the brotherhood. If a brother (this all includes sister, too, ladies) needs help moving, are you there? If he or she has a tough time dealing with a particularly troubling call, are you there? If a brother is having some problems with some personal issues, are you there? Do you go to dinner or a ballgame with the jakes in your crew once in a while, just to have a good time with them away from the job? How about just telling them once in a while that you appreciate the job they do for you as a Captain? Do you just generally look out for your brothers' general welfare over job issues?

I'm not a babysitter, but I feel it's part of my responsibility as a firefighter to look out for my crew, and I don't necessarily mean from a supervisory standpoint.

There were a lot of us that were in New York to support our friends and brothers during last year's memorial service. If I could get leave from work, I'd be there again this year, just as many others would be. Some of the people you disrespected here were at that memorial. How dare you challenge their committment to the brotherhood.

posted by CaptGonzo: Every time we don the gear and climb on the rig to answer the call of duty, we honor our Fallen Heroes.
                              Captain12's response: Thats called doing your job. (we don our Gear) my brother in Law the Plumber don's his plumber uniform every day too. Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter.
                              Putting that gear on every day after 9-11 is absolutely honoring those men, not just in New York, but those that die all over the United States and Canada. It would be so much easier to walk away from a job that has seen so many brave people die in the course of doing their duty. Speaking of the other LODD's, do you have memorial services for the other 100 or so firefighters that die in this country each year? Do you attend those?

Why do we all stay? I could make more money as a plumber, and it's a whole lot safer. We stay out of loyalty. Some may be to our communities, but it's in large part out of loyalty to the people we would leave behind to fight the fight that we would be walking away from. That's why we stay. Even knowing that any of us could die on the next call.

September 11, 2001 is emblazened on every heart of every firefighter in the US, Canada, and most of the rest of the civilized world. How do you forget something like that?

I don't need to attend a memorial service to remind me of that day. I've remembered watching 343 of my brothers die at the hands of cowards. I've remembered every day since I saw it on TV. By the way, just so we're clear, I was at work and was out doing my job this year on 9-11.

To accuse the people that have responded to your post regarding the lack of attendance at memorial services in your area, of being out playing golf, is a disgrace. I know these people, some personally. You have no grounds, much less a right, to question their committment to the memories of our brother firefighters.

The one thing that you said that I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on..."Just because you don your gear, that don't make you a firefighter."

Something else to consider: Maybe dressing up in your uniform and showing up at a memorial service or two doesn't make you a brother either. It's what's in your heart that does that. I'll vouch that each of the people that you've slandered here is a brother in every sense of the word.
                              Steve Gallagher
                              IACOJ BOT
                              ----------------------------
                              "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X